AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am VERY new to this forum, and this whole DVD player thing. Me = n00b. I was not aware of things like the chroma bug and such.. I have read the mini - FAQ, I found out information on new topics, but I am still confused with all the terms and other things that you guys use. In other words, I am lost and confused.

I am planning on upgrading to a new DVD player, and I need advice. I am looking for high quality picture, a progressive scan if that's good, and no chroma bug. Bascially, whatever is best suited for a WideScreen HDTV Toshiba. (If you need more info, ask, and I'll do my best :)) I am looking at a $150-$250 price for the DVD player.

Once again, I have read the mini - faq, but I am too new to understand all those technical terms, and It's really hard for me to read inbetween that to find what I'm looking for..Too much confusion.

Thanks in advance for any help, and I look forward to be a member on this forum. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think it's worth it? How's the image quality and all that? Does it have the chroma bug? me = n00b :)

Update: I looked all over the net for the Panasonic RP-62, I can't find it anywhere? Where could I buy it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Panasonic RP-62 is just coming into the retail channel. I picked one up last week at Fry's in the San Jose CA area. $179.00. Be aware that there is only an optical audio output port plus 5.1 audio outs.

To get progressive output to the TV, you'll need a set of component video cables.

As far as performance, it is excellent. The interlaced output is equal to my older Panasonic A110, but when you see the progressive output, it's visibly better.

I haven't seen "the chroma bug".

I had been extremely happy with my A110 for several years, and now I am just as happy with the RP-62.

By the way, I view DVDs on my Sony XBR-400 36" HDTV ready TV.

One other suggestion: You may want to try the Toshiba progressive scan model in the same price range. I think it's the 3700 model. I've heard good comments about it.

Good Luck,

Roberb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberb
The Panasonic RP-62 is just coming into the retail channel. I picked one up last week at Fry's in the San Jose CA area. $179.00. Be aware that there is only an optical audio output port plus 5.1 audio outs.

To get progressive output to the TV, you'll need a set of component video cables.

As far as performance, it is excellent. The interlaced output is equal to my older Panasonic A110, but when you see the progressive output, it's visibly better.

I haven't seen "the chroma bug".

I had been extremely happy with my A110 for several years, and now I am just as happy with the RP-62.

By the way, I view DVDs on my Sony XBR-400 36" HDTV ready TV.

One other suggestion: You may want to try the Toshiba progressive scan model in the same price range. I think it's the 3700 model. I've heard good comments about it.

Good Luck,

Roberb

Roberb , where can I get the "set of component video cables" and what kind do you recommend for best performace? Thanks, this would mean a lot. I heard some bad things about the RP-56, people said that it broke after a couple of months, will this be fixed in the RP-62 one? Also, may I ask where you picked up the RP-62?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing, what is the difference between the Panasonic RP-62 and the RP-82? Price, and otherwise

·
Registered
87 Posts
Robertb:

When you say it is better than the 110, explain in what terms - I am particularly concerned about color. Does the color gammut seem the same, broader? Are the colors 'deeper' or more vibrant? Tweak difference or night and day (color speaking)

db

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought the RP-62 at Fry's in San Jose because they had the black version. Circuit City currently has the silver only. The Good Guys won't be carrying Panasonic equipment anymore. You can also get it at www.JANDR.com. They list it on their web site, don't know if they have it in stock, for $179. J&R is a great outfit, have been in business for a long time. I got my Sony STR-DE1075 there around Christmas, and they were not charging shipping for standard shipments at the time. Well, because they had some kind of delay in shipping, (backlogged) they shipped it 2-day FedEx and didn't charge me.

To answer DXB's question:

The picture on the A110 was outstanding for interlaced output through S-video output.

The interlaced output on the RP-62 is the same as the A110. When you look at the progressive output via the component output, wow, it's better yet.

I compared the output from the IMAX DVD about space travel with the space shuttle. Most of the scenes are bright, mostly contrasty scenes. On the A110, there was still a bit of shimmering noticable. On the RP-62 in interlaced mode, it's the same as the A110, but in Progressive mode, the whole thing is rock solid.

Another casual observation was on the scene in Star Wars Episode One where the stage was being set for the pod races. People were gathering in this realy neat looking old fashioned town, where there were hanging plants and vines climing up the walls of the outside walls of the buildings. The image quality of the vines and flowers displayed by the RP-62 were superior to the A110.

Now, let's understand that we're talking about very subtle differences here. You really have to pay attention to see the differences.

Another thing I should mention so that you know is that my viewing preferences call for a TV screen that is not too bright. I normally adjust the TV's brightness control to about 1/3.

Ont thing for sure though, I am not going to get rid of the A110. I put it in the extra room and hooked it up to my second TV. I would put the picture of the A110 up against any interlaced player.

One additional difference is that while the A110 had both Coax and Optical outputs for audio, the RP-62 only has Optical. I guess they had to cut costs somewhere. The other noticable difference is the weight of the units. The RP-62 weighs half as much as the A110. But, most components these days seem to weigh next to nothing anyway.

As far as color, I'd say the A110 was sooo good that I haven't seen much difference. It's just that the RP-62 progressive mode picture is cleaner, more stable, and may have a bit better definition.

To answer Hayabusa's question:

You can spend as much as $50-70 on Monster cables. I can't see spending that kind of money on cables since I can get by with a very short run from the DVD player to the TV. So I got a set of cables that were $15 for the set. I figured, if there was a problem, I could upgrade. The ones I got were Recoton brand.

I can't speak to the question of reliability of the RP-62. My A110 is about 4 years old, never a problem. I know a couple of guys at work who have the RP-56, both less than a year, with no problems.

If I had known there would be so much interest, I would have done some careful comparisons between the two and taken notes, before I pushed the entertainment center back to its normal position. But, at this point, it's almost impossible without moving a whole lot of heavy equipment. The XBR-36-400 weighs around 300 lbs by itself.

I hope this helps.

But you know, the best judge on these things is your own eyes. When I picked up the RP-62, I was prepared to bring it home, install it, give it a good preview, and if my eyes said they liked it, I'd keep it. Which is exactly what I did. If I hadn't liked it, I would've taken it back. Next in line would've been the JVC model 500-something that sold for the same price, and after that I would've tried the Toshiba 3750(I think).

Interestingly, the main reason that I wanted to get this unit was because I wanted to free up one of the S-Video ports on the TV so I could use it for something else. I would've been perfectly happy if the RP-62 picture was as good as the A110. As it turned out, it was noticeably better.

Roberb

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Roberb, does the rp62 have the flicker problem as the rp56? Good example is the red top to the tinkertoy box woody uses as a podium in chapt 3?

How about any scale/zoom?

-Jeff

·
Registered
130 Posts
According to Aaron S. in another thread, it does:
Quote:
I took a look at he '62 in a store to see if had the flicker problem. When I viewed the beginng of toy story , it flickered in all the same places that the '56 did.
Looks like Panny just redressed the 56K and disregarded the complaints on this unit.

The RP-82 is built from the ground up, looks to have alot of the RP91's features, with the Sage chip. Looks to have some kind of scaling too where the 62 doesn't, but am still waiting on specs that Panny claims they would mail to my house.

Hank

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Waiting, waiting, waiting... where is the RP-82? =)

Aaron report says it on all the flicker. That's disappointing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In the few DVDs that I have looked at on the RP-62, I have not seen any flicker in the reds. In addition to the two I mentioned in my earlier post, I ran Eagles Hell Freeze Over, Air Force One, Fleetwood Mac the Dance, Lethal Weapon 4, and Pearl Harbor through the player and have not seen any of the flicker problem that is mentioned.

Roberb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, one more quick question! :) Does the RP-62 support VCD/SVCDs? I know that the RP-56 supports VCDs, but no SVCDs..Thanks in advance

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hayabusa
ok, one more quick question! :) Does the RP-62 support VCD/SVCDs? I know that the RP-56 supports VCDs, but no SVCDs..Thanks in advance
Panasonics have never supported SVCD, and the RP-62 will be no different. VCDs should be no problem

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got a JVC XV-S502SL (SL - silver/BK - Black) progressive DVD player at CC for $179. From what I read - No Chroma Bug. Plays just about anything except DVD audio - DVD, MP3, VCD, SVCD, and JPG disks. This is my 1st progressive DVD player but it looks great on my 61" Toshiba 4:3 RPTV.

Ed

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hayabusa
The 62 supports VCD, but not SVCD.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dude, how does the JVC 502 do in interlaced mode on a non-progressive monitor? I do not plan to buy a HDTV monitor for a while, at least not until digital input becomes standard and the Hollywood baloney is settled. I have an old Hitachi RPTV.

I have auditioned your player on a Tosh and was VERY impressed.

Am leaning towards a Tosh SD3750 or the JVC 502. Wonder how the Panny RP82 will handle interlaced......

Thanks,

Hank

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hank,

there is little to no discernable difference between the JVC 500/502 and any other interlaced machine (w/o the chroma bug) on anything short of a projector, IMO. Drop me an email if you would, too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.