AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First of all, I'm new in this forum. Though, I've been reading and studying a lot from here since 2008, this is my first post. I am a poor international college student with a big problem with my ears. My ears are so sensitive that can't stand bad stereo. This is what people call "audiophile with no money."

I have saved my money for a whole last year to setup my own 2.0 (later 2.1). I have reviewed and examined every topic on this forum regarding 2.0 setup.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I pulled the trigger for my 1st stereo receiver EVER! this afternoon which is Onkyo TX-8555 Pure 100Wx2 8ohm (@accessories4less.com). Now, I'm almost broke. I only have $150 to spend for speaker monitors. I've re-read every topic again since and made my head spinning.

I end up narrowing my decision to:

1. Infinity Primus P152

2. Polk Monitor 40 or 30

3. Energy CB-5

5. Jamo C601

6. Berhinger B2030P

7. Insignia NS-B2111 6-1/2"

I've been searching for Athena, AVS123, or B&W but they seemed untrackable.

Please help me to choose my first 2.0 bookselves and make myself proud not to buy generic micro/htib.

Thanks!

!!!UPDATE: Since I got more and more input, I would just say that I will use this system to listen to music (pandora,cd,mp3) and my fave bands are The Beatles, The Cranberries, Kings of Convenience which are mixed (pop+rock+classic) and sometimes 'live in concert' (acoustic). Appreciate!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Please response or I'll go for Behringer B2030P instead.

edit: Load capacity of Behringer B2030P is 100W and the Onkyo receiver output is 100Wx2. Is it OK to choose speakers at the edge of their capacity?

·
Registered
43 Posts
What kind of music do you listen to? Are you planning on adding a sub later? Are you looking to buy locally or is there a reason you narrowed it down to your 4 choices?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfalliblekrutch /forum/post/0

What kind of music do you listen to? Are you planning on adding a sub later? Are you looking to buy locally or is there a reason you narrowed it down to your 4 choices?

Mostly pop or r'n'b, sometimes rock/accoustic. Yes, I'm planning to buy a sub next month or after. I'm willing to buy the speakers/sub online, I have no chance to have audition since I live in a small town in KY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore /forum/post/0

Save yourself $50 and get the Sony SS-B3000s - they are amazingly good for the price.

Is there any professional review about these speakers? Have you compared to the others?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyukie /forum/post/18304695

Is there any professional review about these speakers? Have you compared to the others?

I don't know about professional reviews, but there are quite a number of reviews on amazon.com - including by several who claim to have compared these to much higher end speakers.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The virtues of the SS-B3000s are they have really smooth and natural highs - you can listen to them for hours at pretty elevated levels without experiencing any fatigue or harshness. Overall, I find them very musical and easy to listen to. If they have a weakness it that they don't produce quite as much bass as some more expensive speakers, but they still put out a good amount of bass.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Really all of the speakers you're looking at are great speakers. I think the decision will come down to how much you can get each of those choices for. I'd personally stay far away from sony speakers, but I havn't heard the SS-B3000 so I can't say anything about those specific ones. I might go for the Polk Monitors since Newegg has had some good prices on those recently.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@RWetmore

I see, well, I'm trying to back off a bit from the amazon review because too many variety of people in it. Mostly Sony's products rated very high on Amazon. However, thanks for your input, I'll check it soon.

@unfalliblekrutch

Thanks, I know, that makes me confused for days. Every site/forum says different opinion, but as you said, those products are in really great shape on the market. Wish I could have an audition here.. For the price, those are

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I haven't heard Jamo or Behringer.

The following is in order of my preference, although you might prefer a more forward speaker, you really ought to listen to some to get a frame of reference.

These are cool old school speakers, they sound great but I wouldn't describe them as accurate: KLH Model 6

These are very neutral speakers: NHT Absolute Zero

Infinity

Energy

Sony (they are surprisingly good for the price)

Polk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@RonaldoCombs

Thanks! I just saw the KLH Model 6, those speakers are beautiful! I wonder how they sound.. I like the retro look! You really getting these if you were me?

The NHT Absolute Zero is also good looking.. Why the seller asked for $175(used) since they are only $149(new). anw these fit my budget.. I'll consider it!

·
Registered
687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyukie /forum/post/18305399

@RonaldoCombs

Thanks! I just saw the KLH Model 6, those speakers are beautiful! I wonder how they sound.. I like the retro look! You really getting these if you were me?

The NHT Absolute Zero is also good looking.. Why the seller asks for $175(used) since they are only $149(new). anw these fit my budget.. I'll consider it!

I agree, NHT absolute zero's are great speakers for the price. But I have to encourage you to save your money and pick up some of those Insignia speakers. For the price, they will keep up with with those other brands and maybe even surpass some. I've heard the Infinitys, the Energys, the Nhts, and the Polks and i would still prefer the Insignias with the exception of the NHT, and considering their relatively cheap price I do not know how you can go wrong.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyukie /forum/post/18305399

@RonaldoCombs

The NHT Absolute Zero is also good looking.. Why the seller asked for $175(used) since they are only $149(new). anw these fit my budget.. I'll consider it!

I don't think I'd offer more than $100 for the KLH speakers, and frankly part of my love for them is likely irrational nostalgia, but I really do like them - for music you wouldn't need a sub... Henry Kloss designed them and he is highly regarded for a reason.

The NHTs are probably a better recommendation, they are $149 EACH new so that is why $175 for a pair used. Obviously be careful if using audiogon (just normal precautions like ebay).

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 /forum/post/18305462

I agree, NHT absolute zero's are great speakers for the price. But I have to encourage you to save your money and pick up some of those Insignia speakers. For the price, they will keep up with with those other brands and maybe even surpass some. I've heard the Infinitys, the Energys, the Nhts, and the Polks and i would still prefer the Insignias with the exception of the NHT, and considering their relatively cheap price I do not know how you can go wrong.

Thanks for your input, you mean these insignia speakers? I forgot to put them on my first post.
Insignia NS-B2111 6-1/2" speakers , Insignia is a product of Best Buy, right? So are these available in their store? I have one Best Buy store here..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18305522

The NHTs are probably a better recommendation, they are $149 EACH new so that is why $175 for a pair used. Obviously be careful if using audiogon (just normal precautions like ebay).

Ron

OH!! Sorry, I didn't see it.. Ill contact the seller and ask the condition or if he can cut the price... appreciate Ron!

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Take a read of the Audioholic's budget (2009) bookshelf speaker shootout (2007) . Find a pair that interest you from those shootouts then do a search for them on ebay. Lots of good bookshelf speakers are available on ebay - you just need to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

You'll need a sub to go with most of those speakers - bookshelf speakers tend not to go very low. If you're not into bass then you'll save a few $s there.

I'd add the Emotiva ERM-1s (with a sub) if you can find them - they are no longer made but are a very decent speaker. They come up for sale on the Emotiva Lounge Emporium on occasion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/18306321

Take a read of the Audioholic's budget (2009) bookshelf speaker shootout (2007) . Find a pair that interest you from those shootouts then do a search for them on ebay. Lots of good bookshelf speakers are available on ebay - you just need to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

You'll need a sub to go with most of those speakers - bookshelf speakers tend not to go very low. If you're not into bass then you'll save a few $s there.

I'd add the Emotiva ERM-1s (with a sub) if you can find them - they are no longer made but are a very decent speaker. They come up for sale on the Emotiva Lounge Emporium on occasion.

Yes, I will buy a sub.

I've read the 2009's shootout but not 2007. I also checked the ERMs on the website you gave, I found them but the seller sells at $300 which is far beyond my budget. My budget is only $150 (max)

Is there any other reference? from the 2009's shootout they said Behringer and Yamaha were the best shots.. How bout them?

I really want to get the NHT but the seller wont reduce the price also....

Should I really need to save some money and buy the speakers later? (next month?)

Thanks Knucklehead!!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyukie /forum/post/18306400

I really want to get the NHT but the seller wont reduce the price also....

Probably because he's got the lowest priced NHTs on Audiogon.

Will he throw in free shipping?

Ron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts