Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a friend whom is looking at purchasing his first HT system and is in need of speakers and a power sub. He doens't have the ability to build speakers so this option is not one that he can look at. Basically he is looking for a system that will have one power sub (10" or 12") and five speakers. Room is kinda small so he doesn't want a large set of speakers. He really wouldn't like to go with the Boss system so this options is also out. Can anyone give me some ideas on what he should look at?

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Mains: B&W DM601 S3 = $450/pair

Surrounds: B&W DM600 S3 = $350/pair

Center: B&W LCR60 S3 = 350

Total = $1,150 plus a sub

This is what my brother purchased over the weekend. The price listed is retail and we were easily able to get a 15% discount on it. He's still deciding on the sub. But that leaves plenty for a decent sub.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would spend $1000 on the mains and center, and $500 on a sub. Either use your existing speakers as surround, or pick up some cheap ones on Ebay. That way, you do not lose too much on HT but gain a lot on music, and you will also have the flexibility of upgrade in the future by adding timberly matched sorround and throw away those cheap ones.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
If the room is small, the NHT SB1 system can be had for well under $1500, even with a 6th speaker. The acoustic suspension design improves midrange clarity and bass integration with subs as there is no out of phase port noise to create peaks and dips in the sub response. Very compact and the sub is very musical and accurate rather than the typical slam and boom subwoofers in the price range. The nice piano finish doesn't hurt either. You can also get 5 identical speakers (if the dealer is willing to split a box) and the sub and the satellites are designed to be complimentary and blend seamlessly. Not discounting other options, but this is an absolutely superb one and is true high-end sound at a mass-market price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.