AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in search for LCR floor standing style. Below is equipment i have:

i) Onkyo NR 555 receiver

ii) 2 - Micca 8s atmos

iii) Possibly BGradia PD 8I for L/R surround ( is is good idea to mix and match LCR and LR different brands ?)

iv) SVS PD 12 NSD Sub

This HT will be mostly for movies and some music ( Indian movies have lots of songs ..lol ). My budget is around $1500 , i am OK buying used or going slightly over my budget. I would appreciate if someone can provide model numbers of LCR's that has worked for them in a similar set up. TIA

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm going to be following this closely, as I am very much looking for the same thing... and I've had trouble finding much discussion around this price point/use case combo.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
I am currently in search for LCR floor standing style. Below is equipment i have:

i) Onkyo NR 555 receiver

ii) 2 - Micca 8s atmos

iii) Possibly BGradia PD 8I for L/R surround ( is is good idea to mix and match LCR and LR different brands ?)

iv) SVS PD 12 NSD Sub

This HT will be mostly for movies and some music ( Indian movies have lots of songs ..lol ). My budget is around $1500 , i am OK buying used or going slightly over my budget. I would appreciate if someone can provide model numbers of LCR's that has worked for them in a similar set up. TIA
Are you in the US, or Canada?

Do you absolutely need towers, or can you do bookshelves on stands for the L/R?

How big is your room---INCLUDING all adjacent open spaces, not just the actual listening area?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you in the US, or Canada?

Do you absolutely need towers, or can you do bookshelves on stands for the L/R?

How big is your room---INCLUDING all adjacent open spaces, not just the actual listening area?

For L/R surround i want to stay away from bookshelves just because i do not like the way they stick out hence in-wall or any skinny 3 sided ones are also OK.

For LCR i can do towers.

Media room is about 17.5 ' X 13.5', it is on second floor, there is only 1/2 bathroom next to it and that's it.

I am perfectly fine buying used ones also.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
For L/R surround i want to stay away from bookshelves just because i do not like the way they stick out hence in-wall or any skinny 3 sided ones are also OK.

For LCR i can do towers.

Media room is about 17.5 ' X 13.5', it is on second floor, there is only 1/2 bathroom next to it and that's it.

Location? This determines what is actually available to you and saves us wasting time recommending brands you can't get to begin with.

·
Registered
728 Posts

For LCR i can do towers.

Understand and am in no way intending to be flippant, but are getting them to look at or to listen too? The reason I ask is with your $500/speaker budget you can get some very good bookshelf speakers....and....generally speaking and for multiple reasons good two way bookshelf speakers properly placed will throw a better, more accurate, deeper and more cohesive front soundstage than most floorstanders costing considerably more FWIW.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Understand and am in no way intending to be flippant, but are getting them to look at or to listen too? The reason I ask is with your $500/speaker budget you can get some very good bookshelf speakers....and....generally speaking and for multiple reasons good two way bookshelf speakers properly placed will throw a better, more accurate, deeper and more cohesive front soundstage than most floorstanders costing considerably more FWIW.
I see, so you are recommending bookshelf for LCR? Do you have brand names/model?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I see, so you are recommending bookshelf for LCR? Do you have brand names/model?
What percent of your use will be music listening? Do you already know the type (soft dome, metal dome, ribbon, AMT, or other) tweeter that you just have a preference for? Do you like really loud movies or music, softer, or a mix?

There are so many really good speakers in your budget range I'm personally not sure where I'd start if I was in your market. I really recommend you listen to as many as you can and narrow things down to a few you want to audition in your space and let your ears choose in your space. Many here will tell you what to buy (mostly because it's what they like or own) but if you take a little time to read some of the shootouts and threads similar to yours you will very quickly compile a list of some of the best ones. Also, if you know a certain sound signature you prefer...warm, bright, more mids, etc, I consider Zorba a guru of sorts that stays familiar with some of the best bookshelf attributes, prices, and sources. He could point you at some good contenders and explain their attributes accurately. Good luck....Zorba, chime in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Location? This determines what is actually available to you and saves us wasting time recommending brands you can't get to begin with.

US. Sorry i thought i mentioned that.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
US. Sorry i thought i mentioned that.
Oh great, that makes it very easy then.

1. Chane A5.5 x 2, with A2.4 center (supposed to be back in stock late summer, or you can go with a mismatched center) = about $1200 shipped
2. Ascend 340SE x 3, about $930 shipped = add about $100 for a pair of good speaker stands for the L/R, or $180 for Ascend's "tower look" OEM stands
3. HTD Level 3 towers + center, about $1300 shipped

All 3 will be an easy load for your Onkyo to drive...it's not a particularly robust receiver so this an important consideration.

I would put the surplus $500 if you go with the Ascends into a second sub...a PB12 if you can find one (might have to wait until November)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts