AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to be brief...got a Pio 6020FD and now setting up a family room theater. I had a Marantz SR-19, but it can't handle the new video tech so I need a new receiver and the SR-19 is going for other uses. I am trying to pick one out, but they just seem too close to decide. Primary use will be for TV viewing, Blu-Ray, Wii, and hopefully some video/Internet streaming. Here is important info to help:

Sources:

HD DVR (Either Component or HDMI depending whether HDMI actually works)

Blu-Ray (HDMI - 1080p)

Nintendo Wii (Component - 480p?)

Maybe HTPC if I can't stream from my file server directly (HDMI - Not Sure)

Maybe something else, but not now. Like a Netflix/Hulu player???

Speakers: Only running 4 speakers and 1 sub. Don't ask, no room for center. Tower fronts and small surrounds, nothing crazy probably Mirage OS3 series.

Receivers I Liked:
Pioneer SC-05/07 or SC-25 - The SC-07 is my fav right now as I just don't see the benefit of getting the 25 for an extra HDMI input.
Marantz SR8002 - I have a Marantz and I've really liked it, but this one doesn't do up-conversion to 1080i. Not that I need it now anyway and it's also the most expensive one.
Integra DTR-6.9/7.9 - Look to be really sold with great reviews, but a bit hard to get.
Denon AVR-3310CI - The new kid on the block. Not really interested unless someone can convince me.

Random Thoughts:

1) The one thing that I really want is to to be able to stream all kinds of media (primarily video) from my file server and also from the Internet. I am not really up to speed with DNLA and MHG to understand whether those will work or not? I rather not get an HTPC to play this stuff so built-in streaming is MUCH preferred.

2) IMPORTANT: I value quality over number of inputs or random features that I will never use. I just need enough to handle my stuff and maybe some possible expansion, but that's it. Don't need a million features and audio modes that I won't use.

3) HD Radio would be nice, but not necessary.

To sum up, as you can see my set-up is not huge or overly complicated. I just need something that's good quality and can stream media off a file server (or be able to work with an HTPC). To clarify the budget, I would like to keep it to $1000, but can go to $1500 for a good reason.

Right now I am leaning for the SC-07 because it seems to have gotten a ton of good reviews, can be bought for a fantastic price and looks to be better than the SC-25. However, I am a Marantz fan and the SR8002 does look nice as well, I just can't justify the jump in price unless someone can help me out here. Basically you get the idea, so I just need help making that final decision.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80 /forum/post/16857570

I'll try to be brief...got a Pio 6020FD and now setting up a family room theater. I had a Marantz SR-19, but it can't handle the new video tech so I need a new receiver and the SR-19 is going for other uses. I am trying to pick one out, but they just seem too close to decide. Primary use will be for TV viewing, Blu-Ray, Wii, and hopefully some video/Internet streaming. Here is important info to help:

Sources:

HD DVR (Either Component or HDMI depending whether HDMI actually works)

Blu-Ray (HDMI - 1080p)

Nintendo Wii (Component - 480p?)

Maybe HTPC if I can't stream from my file server directly (HDMI - Not Sure)

Maybe something else, but not now. Like a Netflix/Hulu player???

Speakers: Only running 4 speakers and 1 sub. Don't ask, no room for center. Tower fronts and small surrounds, nothing crazy probably Mirage OS3 series.

Receivers I Liked:
Pioneer SC-05/07 or SC-25 - The SC-07 is my fav right now as I just don't see the benefit of getting the 25 for an extra HDMI input.
Marantz SR8002 - I have a Marantz and I've really liked it, but this one doesn't do up-conversion to 1080i. Not that I need it now anyway and it's also the most expensive one.
Integra DTR-6.9/7.9 - Look to be really sold with great reviews, but a bit hard to get.
Denon AVR-3310CI - The new kid on the block. Not really interested unless someone can convince me.

Random Thoughts:

1) The one thing that I really want is to to be able to stream all kinds of media (primarily video) from my file server and also from the Internet. I am not really up to speed with DNLA and MHG to understand whether those will work or not? I rather not get an HTPC to play this stuff so built-in streaming is MUCH preferred.

2) IMPORTANT: I value quality over number of inputs or random features that I will never use. I just need enough to handle my stuff and maybe some possible expansion, but that's it. Don't need a million features and audio modes that I won't use.

3) HD Radio would be nice, but not necessary.

To sum up, as you can see my set-up is not huge or overly complicated. I just need something that's good quality and can stream media off a file server (or be able to work with an HTPC). To clarify the budget, I would like to keep it to $1000, but can go to $1500 for a good reason.

Right now I am leaning for the SC-07 because it seems to have gotten a ton of good reviews, can be bought for a fantastic price and looks to be better than the SC-25. However, I am a Marantz fan and the SR8002 does look nice as well, I just can't justify the jump in price unless someone can help me out here. Basically you get the idea, so I just need help making that final decision.

Thanks

VPR....I've owned both the Marantz SR 8002 and my current Elite SC 05. I will say that both are my two top choices in current AVRs. I also had a Marantz SR8200 (from years ago) and a Pioneer Elite 59 TXi (also from years ago). I loved both.

However, right out of the shoot, the Pio SC series is more powerful, more dynamic than the SR 8002. MCACC is better than Marantz's implementation of Audyssey, in my opinion, also.

Aside for a few minor things I wished they both did a bit differently, they are both very solid operationally, too.

Throughout the years, I've always looked at Denons, but for one reason or another thought that either Marantz or Elite AVRs were better overall. I do like Denons though. Just never pulled the trigger on one.

If I remember correctly that Marantz SR-19 was their top of the line at one point. If you like that Marantz sound, you'll probably like the sound of the SC. They share what some like to describe as a "warm" sonic signature.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16857751

For that price range you may want to also consider the Denon 4308CI.

Yeah throw the 4308/4310 in the mix as well, but again the question is what will they offer that I should spend more to get those?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16857751

For that price range you may want to also consider the Denon 4308CI.

Yeah, what he said ^^^^

Shop around, because for $1500 you CAN grab a 4308ci, awesome unit, love mine...

And pick up a Denon 2500BTCI BD/DVD player for another $300 or less and have one hell of a setup, trust me on that...

Mike

And on EDIT: Why you want a Denon 4308ci... WiFi, ethernet connection and a company that regularly updates its gear. The reason I am a Denon fanboy. I was one of the first kids on the block to own the 4308ci, and with each upgrade it just gets better and better.

Talk about future proof, nough said.

And for $1500, it is a steal...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/16857829

And on EDIT: Why you want a Denon 4308ci... WiFi, ethernet connection and a company that regularly updates its gear. The reason I am a Denon fanboy. I was one of the first kids on the block to own the 4308ci, and with each upgrade it just gets better and better.

Talk about future proof, nough said.

And for $1500, it is a steal...

did you mean why I want the 4310? do you have to pay for the upgrades?

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/16858218

I've owned a Denon 3806 for several years and have never paid for nor needed an upgrade. He's talking about optional software offered for the now discontinued 3808.

Not being a Denon owner myself, that upgrade was for the 3808 and 4308 and it was for adding Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ. Denon was offering this upgrade for free for a while, then as of 04/31 the cost was $100. There have been some updates to the new models i.e. 3310 and 4310 that have been released. Don't know what they updated and would have to ask in their particular threads. It is a plus (to me anyway) that this is available without having to send the unit back to accomplish updates or possible upgrades in the future. Hopefully more manufacturers will make this option available in their future releases.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More reading, more forums, etc and I am at a key point: Will I benefit from having the receiver upconvert my FiOS DVR's 1080i to 1080p on the Pioneer 6020FD?

I am pretty much set on the SC-05 just because it's half the price of the mentioned Denon receivers and I don't really see any striking reasons to spend twice as much. The problem is that the SC-05 doesn't process/convert any HDMI or Component (1080i) signals whatsoever. I don't really think this is an issue because the Blu-Ray player will handle it's own video processing and I think that 1080i from the DVR should be enough, right?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80 /forum/post/16861221

More reading, more forums, etc and I am at a key point: Will I benefit from having the receiver upconvert my FiOS DVR's 1080i to 1080p on the Pioneer 6020FD?

I am pretty much set on the SC-05 just because it's half the price of the mentioned Denon receivers and I don't really see any striking reasons to spend twice as much. The problem is that the SC-05 doesn't process/convert any HDMI or Component (1080i) signals whatsoever. I don't really think this is an issue because the Blu-Ray player will handle it's own video processing and I think that 1080i from the DVR should be enough, right?

Thanks

I would think that the SC05 is plenty of receiver for what you want to do. The most you will get for regular broadcast from cable or satellite is 1080i. However Dish and I believe Direct TV do broadcast some pay-per-view at 1080p. But the SC05 should be able to passthrough those signals. I and others here only recommended the 4308 and 4310 because in the beginning of your thread you wanted to be able to stream media to your setup and we felt that the 4308 was the best choice. I don't know enough about the SC05 or 07 if they are able to do that. Someone from those threads will have to help you with that. Any of these AVR's you have considered seem to be very good choices and you would problably very happy with any of them. Good luck and hope you get one that does everything you need and want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16861836

I and others here only recommended the 4308 and 4310 because in the beginning of your thread you wanted to be able to stream media to your setup and we felt that the 4308 was the best choice.

but the SC receivers also have network access (HMG) and are DNLA compatible so do the denon 4308/4310 have some other features for streaming that i'm missing?

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80 /forum/post/16861968

but the SC receivers also have network access (HMG) and are DNLA compatible so do the denon 4308/4310 have some other features for streaming that i'm missing?

The only thing I know of is that the 4308CI comes with Wi-Fi and the others don't. If your setup is already networked then there's no problem. The choice is clearly the SC05 or 07. As I've said any of your choices are excellent and should do what you want them to do. Do the SC's have Dynamic Volume also? I don't know, just asking.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16862002

Do the SC's have Dynamic Volume also? I don't know, just asking.

i have wired eithernet so don't need wifi.

the SC07 does have dynamic volume, but not the SC05 so that's why I was just going to spend the $200 extra to get that and a handful of other items

·
Banned
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/16858218

I've owned a Denon 3806 for several years and have never paid for nor needed an upgrade. He's talking about optional software offered for the now discontinued 3808.

[URL='http:/file.php%5B/IMG']http://www.**********************/file.php[/IMG[/URL] ]
[/QUOTE]

I remember that software but is there any optional software for the denon 3806?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.