AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Hoping for a little advice here...

I am looking at three receivers:

- Yamaha RXV3800

- Sony STR DA5300ES

- Pioneer VSX94THX

I will run 5.1 in the living room and want to reassign the extra 2 channels to multi-room use.

My Living Room speakers are:

- Front L/R = B&W DM603

- Front Cen = B&W CC6

- Rear L/R = B&W DM601

- Subwoofer = Velodyne something-or-other that's about 8 years old

Other room use (need the two "left over" channels to be powerful enough for this:

- Stereo output to a Niles SVL-4, then out three pairs of speakers elsewhere in the house.

I want ANY source to 1080p HDMI so I can run ONE cable to my TV (is that a good approach or should I run a cable to the TV for each type of source - HDMI, Component, Standard Video)?

I've always owned Pioneer Elite products.

I've always known people who have been extremely happy with Yamaha.

I'm only looking at the Sony because it has the most HDMI inputs.

Any votes on which of these receivers will serve me best?

Any other receivers I should throw into the mix for consideration?

I'd like to keep this under $1500 street (don't care about retail).

Thanks for your help. This forum has been a great source of information for me!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Might want to throw in the Onkyo TXSR875. 6ave is having a sale on it right now. It's 1148 dollars.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yamaha RXV3800.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Marantz sr8002 would make those B&Ws sit up and sing. AVS sells it right in that price range.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a Denon 3808 and it's about in that price range. It does what you want.

I have a bunch of sources hooked up to it and then a single HDMI cable to the display. Works nicely.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Another vote for the Onkyo 875. There was a time when you could get the Onkyo NR-905 under your budget, but I suspect that window has now passed...

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhyde /forum/post/12945497

- Yamaha RXV3800

- Sony STR DA5300ES

- Pioneer VSX94THX

I will run 5.1 in the living room and want to reassign the extra 2 channels to multi-room use.

- Front L/R = B&W DM603

- Front Cen = B&W CC6

- Rear L/R = B&W DM601

Other room use (need the two "left over" channels to be powerful enough for this:

- Stereo output to a Niles SVL-4, then out three pairs of speakers elsewhere in the house.

I want ANY source to 1080p HDMI so I can run ONE cable to my TV (is that a good approach or should I run a cable to the TV for each type of source - HDMI, Component, Standard Video)?

I have the Onkyo 885 prepro. It is similar to the 905/875 with out the amp. I love the product! Sounds great, lots of HDMI ports, Reon, more flexibility then the other receivers mention. I checked out Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer. But, go out and take a test drive before you buy

·
Banned
235 Posts

Quote:

- Yamaha RXV3800

- Sony STR DA5300ES

- Pioneer VSX94THX

I would not put Sony ES5300 in this list. It has various issues like Black Crush, HDMI switching problems and the sound quallity is not near Yamaha 3800, Denon 3808 and Pioneer 94THX.

I would also put Marantz 8002 in this list.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My setup is going to be very similar. In fact, I posted a thread earlier today about the best way to power the three sets of speakers I have in other rooms (to go along with my 5.1 main room).

After considerable research (and a lot of time on these forums), I chose the Onkyo 875 as my receiver. (It was delivered today, by the way, and I can't wait to get home to pull it out of the box.) While it has a few issues, it seems to be the best choice in its class if you want to use it to upscale your video (I plan to pass native resolution video signals from each component to the 875 with HDMI cables, and have the 875 do all the work).

I currently have a very old version of the Niles SS-6 (I think it's basically the same thing you have, but with 6 inputs and no volume controls).

I've looked at inexpensive amps for those speakers, and I've considered using my old receiver to power them, but I may just use my existing Niles SS-6, powered by the 2 extra channels I don't need.

If you come up with a better solution, please post it here.

Also, in the event you don't already know this, most receivers (I don't know whether this applies to each of the ones you're considering, but it applies to the 875) will only pass analog signals to Zone 2, meaning, in my case, I will need to connect each of my components with both HDMI and RCA in order to get sound throughout the house.

·
Registered
23 Posts
any of those would be a good choice.... though I wouldn't personally include the Sony in that list.....

It's more a toss up between Onkyo, Yamaha and Pioneer.....

For me, I am currently running the 3800 with B&W's and couldn't be happier. Then again, Yamaha's been good to me. Been running an RXv 2095 for 10 years with no problems.....

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Onkyo 875 or 905

Denon 4308

Pioneer 94

Yamaha 3800

Out of all of those, you get the MOST features with the Onkyo 905, though it may be slightly above your budget now. Dollar wise, nothing else listed offers the features/power that it has.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying the Yamaha RXV-3800. Unfortunately it will probably sit in the box for another couple of weeks since I'm in the middle of a remodeling. My new Sony TV will also be shoved in a corner for a few weeks too. sigh.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:

- Yamaha RXV3800

- Sony STR DA5300ES

- Pioneer VSX94THX

- Front L/R = B&W DM603

- Front Cen = B&W CC6

- Rear L/R = B&W DM601

which receiver did you end up getting?

thanks, alan

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhyde /forum/post/13063326

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying the Yamaha RXV-3800. Unfortunately it will probably sit in the box for another couple of weeks since I'm in the middle of a remodeling. My new Sony TV will also be shoved in a corner for a few weeks too. sigh.

I would have suggested a Yamaha RX-V663 for $350 and you could have then spent the extra $500 on a good sub. That would have improved your system more than anything. A $40 monoprice switch would have given you 5 HDMI inputs on the receiver.

I guess it is too late now. How much did the 3800 run you?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts