AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since everyone was so helpful answering my questions, I thought I would post up my build for future people to reference.

Materials ( I don't recall the wood species, but it was a bit more expensive than whitewood)
2 12' 1x4
2 8' 1x4
2 6' 1x4
2 12' quarter round
2 8' quarter round
Kreg screws. I used 1.25", but they were a bit too long. I should have stayed with 1". Cut your boards and use the scraps to play with your jig settings.
2 18" French cleats. https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-18-in-Hangman-Picture-Hanging-System/3058195
2 6" French cleats https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Hillman-Group-6-in-Hangman-Picture-Hanging-System/3058191
40' (5x8') Screen tight https://www.lowes.com/pd/Screen-Tight-Porch-Screening-System-Base-Strip/3024709
300' Screen spline(dont need all of this, but its cheaper in bulk) https://www.lowes.com/pd/Screen-Tight-Screen-Spline/3025035
4 yds of black miliskin http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/796
4 yds of matte white 120" http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/15949

I cut my sides to 74" and the overall width to be 131.5. I used 3 screws per joint.

I used my nail gun to attach the quarter round.

Then I painted the frame since the idea was to over stretch the black miliskin.

I took it all to my basement and set it up in a cleaner working environment.

Screen tight in place with my "awesome precision" corner cutting skills. I used a razor to cut this stuff, it wasn't too difficult. I used screen tight over staples since I saw it as a suggestion in another thread as secure and less permanent than staples and during my basement build, I had to remove about 30 staples when I messed something up, so this we insurance IMO.

I stretched the black spandex from "underneath". This made it very easy to attach to the screen tight. I used clamps to help hold the spandex in place while I attached it to the screen tight.

Black layer is done.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of attaching the second layer. I got on a roll and started to get really excited as it came together. To install the white, I flipped the frame over to prevent the screen from touching anything and keep the screen surface clean. I also used latex gloves when handling the white material (perhaps overkill). Since the white spandex was so much larger than the black, it wasn't difficult to stretch it enough to get the wrinkles out and make it taught. Since the frame had been flipped, it was a bit more difficult rolling the spandex in to the screen tight while sitting on the floor working over my head.

Here it is ready to be hung. You can see the 18" french cleats up top and the 6" French cleats are hidden below. The 18" are overkill for the weight, but they were actually cheaper at lowes than the 12". I used 2 6" French cleats along the bottom directly below the 18" ones to keep the screen flat against the wall.

It did require two people to hang. Since the screen tight protrudes off the back a bit, one person has to force the French cleats to seat while one person lifts from below. Had I decided to staple the material, I don't think it would be been as difficult. Regardless, it took all of 30 seconds to hang on the wall. I may lower it an inch or so as I am getting some of the image clipped in the upper right by the soffit. I'll wait until my seating arrives and continue to play with the lens shift before doing that though.. Sound is noticeably better than the bed sheet that was hanging there before. Unfortunately, I have no way of testing how AT the screen really is.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,983 Posts
I only have one screen shot and it looks like garbage b/c I had a bunch of other lights on in the basement. I'll take some good ones when I get back home.
Still out wandering?:p

I don't have the energy to stay out all night.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
These are great pictures. That's a huge screen on spandex to look that good.

I'm trying to figure out on upgrading my Benq w1070. I'm decideing between the Sony hw45 and the 5040. I want a spandex screen for being bang for buck and AT.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looks amazing. .I'm looking at doing something similar in 2.35. How much would you say the total cost was? I'm struggling to find anywhere in the UK that sells the fabric. .I think it may be called Elastane in the UK. Also struggling to find the screen tight etc. .really impressed with yours.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks amazing. .I'm looking at doing something similar in 2.35. How much would you say the total cost was? I'm struggling to find anywhere in the UK that sells the fabric. .I think it may be called Elastane in the UK. Also struggling to find the screen tight etc. .really impressed with yours.

Check out epic home cinema and their "filmex" spandex. I've got it on my screen and it looks absolutely fantastic :) It's not too expensive too, but a quick google will find reviews / opinions on it that will help you make your mind up!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check out epic home cinema and their "filmex" spandex. I've got it on my screen and it looks absolutely fantastic :) It's not too expensive too, but a quick google will find reviews / opinions on it that will help you make your mind up!
Thanks for the reply. .is the filmex OK to use for a non AT screen about 11ft wide 2.35. I've seen on the site that you need to double the quantity? Any reason for this. .is it due to transparency of the material? Any chance you could post a picture of your screen? Did you have to double up (2 layers)?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,983 Posts
Thanks for the reply. .is the filmex OK to use for a non AT screen about 11ft wide 2.35. I've seen on the site that you need to double the quantity? Any reason for this. .is it due to transparency of the material? Any chance you could post a picture of your screen? Did you have to double up (2 layers)?
Filmex is a 2-way Stretch Lycra Spandex with a slight sheen. It's not nearly as good as Milliskin for AT purposes, but for your use....it would suffice.

I would however still use a rear layer of Black Milliskin to enhance contrast and reduce Light loss through direct absorption

·
Registered
238 Posts
Filmex is a 2-way Stretch Lycra Spandex with a slight sheen. It's not nearly as good as Milliskin for AT purposes, but for your use....it would suffice.

I would however still use a rear layer of Black Milliskin to enhance contrast and reduce Light loss through direct absorption
So would you recommend going for the milliskin over filmex even though I'm not going AT. The milliskin also works out considerably cheaper and my inlaws are currently in the states and could bring it back with them. .so for a 11ft wide 2.35 screen would I need 4 yards of milliskin (double layer) ?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,983 Posts
The Filmex has just a wee bit more gain....but not much. The slight sheen helps in that respect, but it can also hurt if the material is stretched too much, by highlighting the difference between the reflective weave and the open spaces between the Threaded Weave.

One of the outstanding things about Milliskin...beyond AT performance, is the smoothness of it's weave / surface. I'd opt for the Milliskin.

You would need 8 Yards....4 White and 4 Black. Oh yeah...if they can transport the Milliskin on a Roll, checked as luggage, that would be great. If they order it shipped "On a Roll" to their current location, they will receive a nice, sturdy 64" x 3" Cardboard Tube.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Filmex has just a wee bit more gain....but not much. The slight sheen helps in that respect, but it can also hurt if the material is stretched too much, by highlighting the difference between the reflective weave and the open spaces between the Threaded Weave.

One of the outstanding things about Milliskin...beyond AT performance, is the smoothness of it's weave / surface. I'd opt for the Milliskin.

You would need 8 Yards....4 White and 4 Black. Oh yeah...if they can transport the Milliskin on a Roll, checked as luggage, that would be great. If they order it shipped "On a Roll" to their current location, they will receive a nice, sturdy 64" x 3" Cardboard Tube.
Would it get in a suitcase?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,983 Posts
Would it get in a suitcase?
Yes....a 65" long one. :p

No...it would have to check as a separate piece. But I think it would slide in under "Oversize" limit...or even be allowed as a Carry On that is stored up front in the 1st Class Coat Closet. (maybe)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
about 15.5'
That's good to know, thanks for the info. According to the Projector Central calculator, you are at about 2.03 zoom (max is 2.10), so you're close to max zoom at that distance, correct?

I recently bought a 5040, and plan to build a 160" diagonal 2.35:1 DIY AT screen (not spandex). Your frame build will help - thanks!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts