AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use a Toshiba 42H81 TV, but I don't want to ditch my TV/AV stand. Its 45" W, 22" H and 22" D. It houses my RCVR, DVD, LD, CD and SVHS VCR. The components sit one on top of the other in 2 identical shelving spaces that are side by side. The receiver and CD are on one side, and the DVD,LD and VCR are on the other. Anyways, what options are there? A 34" TV is too small, and then the rest are no longer direct view CRT's. The only direct view displays are super expensive Plasma? I am looking for a 16:9 42" HDTV display.

[This message has been edited by cpc (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you could go with a Plasma display, most 42" monitors of that type will fit in that space. I have a similar opening, and bought a Panasonic 42".

--Karl

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've just been doing a similar search for a TV for our new study, which is narrow so I need something I can build into or hang on the wall. Like you, my criteria was a small form factor and 16:9 format. It came down to either a plasma or one of three RPTV's. My wife and her designer are still pushing me toward getting a Plasma because they thinks it's cooler, but I prefer the picture on the RPTV's and there is a $5,000 price difference. Plus I think the RPTV's are more mature technology and I would be very worried about burn-in on the Plasma with the content I expect we'll be watching in this room.

The Hitachi 43UWX10B is about $1900

Height 39"

Width 41-1/4""

Depth 20-5/8"

The Toshiba 42H81 42-Inch HD is about $ 1600

Unit Dimensions:

H: 46 1/2"

W: 39 3/8"

D: 18 2/3"

The Mitsubishi WT46809 is about $2000

H: 38 3/8

W: 42 3/4

D: 27 1/8

42 inch Plasma's such as the Sony and Panasonic can be had for $5500 to $7500.

My conclusion- I liked the picture on the Mitsubishi the best, with the Hitachi a close second. I liked the form factor the best on the Mitsubish, though it's deeper than the other two and I expect get in a fight with my contractor over the build-in depth. So I expect to buy either the Mitsubishi or the Hitachi.

Look at it this way - with the $4000+ price differential, and if you prefer the picture on the RPTV like I do, you can buy a new AV cabinet and still have several thousand dollars left over. My recommendation is to get over the allegiance to the old cabinet and get one of these RPTV's - they look great and are such a better value than the Plasma's.

------------------

- Dan

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You might check out the new RCA sets that use LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) light engine. They claim some models to be only 18" deep and weigh about 100 pounds. Not as contrasty as other designs...also native 720P..convert all formats to 720P for display. But perhaps worth a look.

[This message has been edited by cwood (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will seriously consider an RPTV, such as the 42H81 or the Mitsubishi. I know the abinet thing sounds silly, but there is just no room right now where I have my stuff. I would literally have to put a stereo cabinet above my subwoofer or run S-video and component cables across the room and that's just bad.

I am dreaming a bit right now, as I don't really have the budget for one of those displays quite yet. I could possibly sell the TV I have and upgrade, as my TV is less than a year old, but I'm not sure which route I'm going.

How does the Mitsubishi do with cable, vhs video and laserdisc video? I am not too keen on what I have seen of the line doubling thing, particularly some of the Toshiba and Sony line doubling. Often it looks horrible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

Speaking of cabinets, you really can do nicely with 2 audio component shelves flanking the RPTV, with a wood spanner on top to make it look like a single unit. Thus is can grow with your monitor size. Plus, it gives your cats a chance to test their verticals :)

If you are handy at all, you can buy unfinished shelves and caps and stain or paint them. Then you can spend the several hundred bucks you saved on more electronic stuff -- like the Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver your spouse won't let you buy.

"But honey, I saved us $300 on shelving just in time for Band of Brothers!"

Note this post is gender neutral :)

Eric

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you considered the RCA F38310 38" HDTV? It's 45" wide and would fit your cabinet. I've had mine since April and love it. It has DirecTV built in but since you live in Canada, that doesn't help you.

I had problems finding a TV stand that would match my current entertainment center but just ordered one that matches perfectly.

Don

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
CPC: Did you ever decide? I am thinking about the 42H81 also, and am also very cramped for componant space. I can't go any higher than 60", and have about 48" width. I could build a 12" "stand" for the 42H81. Can any owners of the 42H81 tell me if the Base is removable, so it could be integrated into a stand easily? I need space for 4 componants, so 10" x 38" would be fine. I would like to add casters so I can move the thing around easily.

I have Cinema series Paradigm center speaker, and thinking the center channel of the Toshiba could be used so I wouldn't need that speaker. Is the center channel sound OK?

Alternative #2: Plasma on a "normal" stand. Hard to justify the cost, when the Toshiba can be had for less that $1800 including freight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went through this. Had plenty of space height and width but depth was limited to 22 inches. My preference was a direct view.

You need a 34 inch min in my opinion as this equals a 27 inch (height) for 4:3 material.

All 34 inch direct views are too deep.

LCOS will fit but untested. LCD/RP will fit but colors are not nearly on par with phosphorous. Also DLP/LCD have problems with dust ruining the image (from experience).

CRT/RP will fit (Hitachi, Toshiba, maybe a few others) but these things can barely do 480 lines - when adjusted perfectly.

So, I plunked down the cash and bought a NEC 42MP3 http://www.nectech.com/presentationproducts/index.htm plasma. Simply wonderful phosphorous colors without convergence/weight/s[ace issues. Only time will tell if decision was correct but it sure looks good now.

I was lucky and bought mine through Dell small business for about $4300 with no shipping costs (FedEx 3 day).

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm almost to the same point. The NEC42MP3 has real high marks and much better room versatility than a RP. How's the PQ with non-HD 4:3 programming? I think I'm going to bite the bullet as soon as the price gets down to around what you paid. I think I'm going to hang it from my fireplace, and move it if I want a fire.

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Picture guality is outstanding. I was previously using a Sony PVM-2900 broadcast monitor. They have a several modes including "Stadium" which provides a non-stretched image in the middle then stretches more closer to the edge. I have psychologically adapted to this mode and now the 2900 (in bedroom) looks "squished".

If you prefer sidebars, they let you control the grey level of the bars from black to white.

I wouldn't plan on moving it unless you developed some kind of sliding track system. It weighs 65 pounds with a high center of gravity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.