AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you use the 16:9 V-Compression? When I put my TV (sharp 27f631) in that mode, and then use a dvd that is in Widescreen format, the screen actually shrinks vertically twice. Am I supposed to let the TV recognize the mode? What is this mode designed to be used for?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just learned about this stuff today, so let me take a stab at it:

By turning on the vertical compression on your 4:3 set, you're, in effect, emulating a 16:9 tube. Therefore, for proper display of 16:9 enhanced DVD material when your TV is set to 16:9 "squeeze," you must set your DVD player's output for a 16:9 display, and you'll be happily enjoying about 60 extra lines of resolution in the "letterbox" area. Those extra 60 lines you'll have gained were previously just showing black on the top and bottom of the picture when your DVD player was set for output to a 4:3 screen.

Did I get that right?

(I've been more than a little frustrated trying to get 16:9 squeeze to work on this Panasonic I bought earlier this month. More to come. . .)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

It seems as though what I am seeing is that when I put the TV in the mode, I get the compressed look of the 16:9 resolution. But when I put the DVD into the same mode, it still leaves a small black section at top and bottom in addition to the black that is already there.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterGibbons
It seems as though what I am seeing is that when I put the TV in the mode, I get the compressed look of the 16:9 resolution. But when I put the DVD into the same mode, it still leaves a small black section at top and bottom in addition to the black that is already there.
Many DVDs are wider than 16:9 so sometimes either on a 4:3 TV with 16:9 mode or on a native widescreen TV, you'll still see black bars.

But isn't 16:9 mode great? :D

I have a JVC 36FA54 and the 16:9 mode picture looks wonderful. No visible scan lines and increased resolution, it is an awesome feature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.