AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of considering buying a new screen for various reasons and was considering a 16:9 (110" wide) curved screen as the screen will sit very close to the side walls. So the normal reason to buy the curved screen is not why I am buying one. Also I like the 16:9 aspect ratio for TV viewing and do not feel like going through the trouble of a separe lens set up.

My understanding is the screen on the ends will be about 3" difference from the center.

I was looking for feedback for other people who have done this and their thoughts. Specifically I am wondering how much overscan ends up on the frame and whether it is noticeable.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
What did you end up doing?

I'm in the process of picking a new screen and was set on a 16:9 106" flat screen. But then I stumbled across the following link: http://www.avshop.no/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10504931 (In Norwegian, but you see the pictures towards the bottom.)

Anyone have any experience with this? It is not "that" curved, and apparently looks good on the wall. Slightly more "cinematic" feel to the room. Optically they say it really doesn't matter much.

(Not considering 2:35:1 setup, anamorphic lense etc. That is a future upgrade.)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still waiting to buy the screen. I tried to unload my Screen Research screen at what I thought was a fair price (less than 1/2 of what I paid) however there were no takers. Also, I noticed in the process that SMX is developing some new material so I figured I would wait a bit.

I am still debating which direction to go but will likely get the curved version.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I´m going in that direction myself. Just need to find a place to preview it. I certainly like the look of it on the wall!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Hey guys!

ksharp4...can you please clarify what you want to accomplish with the curved in relation to the side walls? I don't know that I understand...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey guys!
ksharp4...can you please clarify what you want to accomplish with the curved in relation to the side walls? I don't know that I understand...

from what I read, curved bounces less light sideways, so should give you less glow from the walls on sides, i.e. better contrast. no idea if it's an actual problem.

I'm getting 108" 16:9 screen myself and I have manual lens projector, so I guess I'll just live with black bars in anamorphic movies. not sure if curved is worth paying extra, I'll probably go with flat screen. any idea how many inches would sides be apart from wall in a curved 108" screen? I'm worried it will look weird for anybody not sitting very close to the center of the screen, not mentioning geometry weirdness in games. another 2 issues I have are:

is it worth paying extra $ for a velvet frame vs. black aluminum?
there are 2 surfaces available: white and gray 1.1 gain. I have gray walls and white ceilling. windows can be blinded completely, though for gaming/hd sports I would prefer to have some ambient light in the room. any recommendations?

oh wow, just noticed this thread is pretty old :D

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
from what I read, curved bounces less light sideways, so should give you less glow from the walls on sides, i.e. better contrast. no idea if it's an actual problem.

I'm getting 108" 16:9 screen myself and I have manual lens projector, so I guess I'll just live with black bars in anamorphic movies. not sure if curved is worth paying extra, I'll probably go with flat screen. any idea how many inches would sides be apart from wall in a curved 108" screen? I'm worried it will look weird for anybody not sitting very close to the center of the screen, not mentioning geometry weirdness in games. another 2 issues I have are:

is it worth paying extra $ for a velvet frame vs. black aluminum?
there are 2 surfaces available: white and gray 1.1 gain. I have gray walls and white ceilling. windows can be blinded completely, though for gaming/hd sports I would prefer to have some ambient light in the room. any recommendations?

oh wow, just noticed this thread is pretty old :D

Unless you have a 2.35:1 screen and an anamorphic lens, using a curved screen makes zero sense. A velvet frame does make sense - helps absorb overscan better than a metal frame.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Unless you have a 2.35:1 screen and an anamorphic lens, using a curved screen makes zero sense. A velvet frame does make sense - helps absorb overscan better than a metal frame.
I agree that the classic reason for having a curved screen is to account for pincushion distortion that an anamorphic lens introduces. However, one thing that I didn't expect was how much better the perceived contrast was as a result of less light reflection from the side walls as a result of the curve. I think there is nothing cooler than a curved 2.35:1 screen, but if that doesn't work for one's setup, I don't really see any negative to having a 16:9 screen with a slight curve to it. It will add immersion, cool factor, better contrast and really won't affect the image. Just make sure to add good quality velvet to the borders as there will be some image loss on the edges if you want to fill the whole screen. That being said, the curve does take some getting used to. I don't see myself ever going back, though. ;)

Oh, and if you're not doing it DIY, I would say it's not worth it. You pay a premium for having the curve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree that the classic reason for having a curved screen is to account for pincushion distortion that an anamorphic lens introduces. However, one thing that I didn't expect was how much better the perceived contrast was as a result of less light reflection from the side walls as a result of the curve. I think there is nothing cooler than a curved 2.35:1 screen, but if that doesn't work for one's setup, I don't really see any negative to having a 16:9 screen with a slight curve to it. It will add immersion, cool factor, better contrast and really won't affect the image. Just make sure to add good quality velvet to the borders as there will be some image loss on the edges if you want to fill the whole screen. That being said, the curve does take some getting used to. I don't see myself ever going back, though. ;)

Oh, and if you're not doing it DIY, I would say it's not worth it. You pay a premium for having the curve.
just really confused, a lot of companies telling that it better use curved than flat because you gain contrast etc. but my problem is that I will lost focus on the side, and some people telling that is not noticeable, if you 40 ft curved, that about only 3 inch each side off the wall, can some one can provide picture how it look on curved screen. I did not plan to use any A-lens etc. and I like to have curved it looks cool, but also want quality picture

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You will not lose focus on a 40 foot curve. I thought for sure it would help with potential edge softening from an A-Lens but no dice. It will still look great. My build thread is below...in those pics I had spandex but soon after upgraded to Seymour XD material. You can still get a sense of what the picture looks like on a curved screen. If you're wanting a 16:9 curved screen, chances are you'll have to build it yourself...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/1442061-episode-iv-new-curved-screen.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
You will not lose focus on a 40 foot curve. I thought for sure it would help with potential edge softening from an A-Lens but no dice. It will still look great. My build thread is below...in those pics I had spandex but soon after upgraded to Seymour XD material. You can still get a sense of what the picture looks like on a curved screen. If you're wanting a 16:9 curved screen, chances are you'll have to build it yourself...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/1442061-episode-iv-new-curved-screen.html
WOW, it looks excellent, is your frame out of the wall in about 3 inch on the sides? did you have chance to compare with flat and curved, which you like better. is it big difference? whre you bought material for the screen?

·
Registered
32,470 Posts

No problem getting a curved 16:9 screen. Several companies will make it, just not a good reason to have one. I think the cons outweigh the pros.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
WOW, it looks excellent, is your frame out of the wall in about 3 inch on the sides? did you have chance to compare with flat and curved, which you like better. is it big difference? whre you bought material for the screen?
Thanks. I actually previously built a large box to hide my speakers which then I later used to simply sit the curved screen on top. So yes, the screen is about two feet out from the back wall and a few inches from the left side. I bought Seymour Centrestage XD fabric:

http://www.seymourav.com/screensDIY.asp

I love the curved screen, but like Craig and Mike said, it doesn't make sense unless you're using an anamorphic lens and a 2.35:1 screen. The curve accounts for pincushion distortion but has helped noticeably with contrast. But, you won't have the pincushion distortion, so you'd have to zoom your image to fit the curve and you'd be cutting off all four corners (I think that's right??) of your image. If you really like the look, though, go for it. If you do go for it, I'd go DIY and see how you like it. If you don't, turf it and you're not out that much money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you don't have an anamorphic lens don't get a curved screen.

You won't be able to sharply focus the entire screen at the same time.
thank you, yes I consuder to not go with curved, thank you for help, now want understand about gain, wich is better 1.3. or 1.0 what that mean?

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
The higher the number the more reflective (brighter) the screen. That's good for pop, but bad for contrast.

Higher gain screens should be used in a dark rooms or for large screensizes.

Lower gain screens should be used in rooms with ambient light or smaller screens.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
Eh....that's been my experience anyway.
-------------
Better to let the pros speak on it I guess.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_screens_gain.htm
-------------

Personally in a dark room - my Seymour XD with a higher gain than most other AT screens works GREAT on a 144" cinema scope screen in a near completely light controlled room with my panasonic AE8000U.
If I was going to setup a projector in a living room without light control, I'd probably go with a grayer screen which should have a lower gain in most cicumstances, so as to help preserve some contrast.
That's been my experience and reading anyway. I default to the pros.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
The article you describe is very simplistic and only covers overall gain and does not tell of the screen's other properties. A gray screen by itself does not preserve contrast. A basic gray screen lowers black and white levels equally and contrast stays the same. If we compare two screens with similar overall gains like the Stewart Grayhawk (.7 gain) and Screen Innovations Black Diamond .8 (.8 gain) these are vastly different screens and used for different purposes. The Grayhawk is for a reference/ light controlled environment and the Black Diamond is for use with ambient light. The Black Diamond is a higher gains screen. It is about .4 base gray material which is a very dark gray almost black hence the name. It then has an approximately 2.0 gain coating applied to it giving it an overall gain of .8 screen. This screen will not be affected by ambient light much but will have a narrower viewing area. The Grayhawk in comparison is a gray material but has no gain coating, it will wash out if their is ambient light in the room but the picture is the same no matter where one is sitting. It would be best in a room with no ambient light and dark surfaces (walls, ceiling, floor, etc.). I have been calibrating, designing and installing projector systems for over 20 years. Here another similar post.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...jector-well-lit-family-room.html#post30394314

How screens are measured are a different matter. A gain of greater than 1 is considered a positive gain screen and less than 1 is a negative gain screen. But not all positive gain screens have a coating to create that gain. You an just have a brighter white. Companies use different materials for their reference. Most use either magnesium carbonate (chalk) or a white polymer and they are lambertian surfaces. That means they reflect light equally in all directions. They also pick up light from all directions. So if a given screen is brighter than the companies reference it may considered a gain screen yet it has no actual gain coating. I say this because your XD material does not have an overall gain more than 1. It might have a higher gain than Seymour's reference material or they might state it has a 1.1 gain coating but actually is slightly less than 1 overall gain because of the light loss through the weave. All AT screens whether perforated or woven lose some light through them. Here is a report done by another calibrator showing the overall gain.

http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/a...een_report.pdf

There is a lot more to screens than the specs and getting the right screen for your application is important.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts