AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Lg 32llc32du tv. Love the picture and the set but I have a question on viewing in 16:9..

I have the set ratio set to 16:9 and my dvd player which is a pioneer progressive scan player hooked to the tv via component video and I put in CARS to check the set out... I changed the dvd player setting (prior to inserting the CARS dvd into the player) to 16:9 view and progressive not interlaced....

My question: how come the CARS Dvd (which is the widescreen version) still shows black bars on the top and bottom of the screen? shouldnt the entire screen be covered? I am confused...

thanks,

Scott

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunkirs /forum/post/0

I have an Lg 32llc32du tv. Love the picture and the set but I have a question on viewing in 16:9..

I have the set ratio set to 16:9 and my dvd player which is a pioneer progressive scan player hooked to the tv via component video and I put in CARS to check the set out... I changed the dvd player setting (prior to inserting the CARS dvd into the player) to 16:9 view and progressive not interlaced....

My question: how come the CARS Dvd (which is the widescreen version) still shows black bars on the top and bottom of the screen? shouldnt the entire screen be covered? I am confused...

thanks,

Scott

Movies are made in different aspect ratios. Your screen is 16:9 = 1.78:1. Movies of exactly that shape will not have black bars. Narrower titles will have bars on the side, wider titles will have bars above and below.

CARS is 2.35:1: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317219/technical

Take a look at BEN HUR sometime: 2.76:1.

Don't say "I don't like the black bars" or you will be ridiculed unmercifully.

-Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally realized that the ratio make the difference. Thanks for all the information.. A HUGE help. I have liked the black bars for years (my wife HATES them) so black bars are worth it for the best picture quality.. Now I know what I have to look for when looking at dvd's.

Again, Thanks,

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.