Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AV

My HT is near completetion and I have company coming for the 4th.

Need to nail down the right projector.

Please help me understand if I'm chasing a myth.

I've set my HT screen shape & size for 16:9 veiwing of DVDs.

So naturally I figure I need a 16:9 PJ to get all of the pixel for a good 16:9 image. I've read that a 4:3 PJ will display a 16:9 image, however 25% of their pixel will go unused in the black bars above and below the image.

My budget puts me at a $5K limit. At that limit the best 16:9 projector is the infocus 110 at only 800 by 600 resolution.

Then I starting thinking, I could get an XGA PJ with 1280 by 1024 resolution. Even with a 25% drop in pixel, I would still get more than the full pixel count of the infocus.

I also believe I can get the DMD or HD2 chip in a 4:3 DLP for around $3500.

Please tell me if I'm the right track.

one final concern, I really don't want to zoom or resize the image when the source video switches between 4:3 and 16:9 material, how do I handle this????

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are using a 4:3 projector, I don't think you can project a full image to a 16:9 screen without zooming. If you have a large 4:3 screen, you can mask the top and bottom when watching 16:9 material.

If I understand correctly you have exactly the opposite (and in my case preferred) situation projecting 4:3 with a 16:9 projector. You can fix the height but the width changes. It seems this would be easy to work with by using curtains as theaters do.

Somebody please tell me that I am wrong and that there is a simple way to keep the same height for 4:3 and 16:9 material when using a 4:3 projector.

·
Registered
387 Posts
No simple way, except zooming in and out, and you still lose 25 (or 40-ish something for 2.35:1 movies) percent of the vertical resolution of the projector. In fairness, you lose some on a 16:9 projector too, just not as much.

I'm going with a 16:9 projector - as you say, 16:9 material and 4:3 material will have same height, but 4:3 material will be narrower and leave bars on the side. That's how I prefer it as well, I want a bigger experience with 16:9 material. For 2.35:1 I'll get bars above and below but will probably mask those with some kind of black material.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mzk4c3
Then I starting thinking, I could get an XGA PJ with 1280 by 1024 resolution. Even with a 25% drop in pixel, I would still get more than the full pixel count of the infocus.

I also believe I can get the DMD or HD2 chip in a 4:3 DLP for around $3500.

Please tell me if I'm the right track.

one final concern, I really don't want to zoom or resize the image when the source video switches between 4:3 and 16:9 material, how do I handle this????
You could go with a 4:3 projector and use an anamorphic lens to get the full resolution from your machine. Search the forums (both this and the 5K+ one) for ISCO II and Panamorph. The LT-150 looks great (with an HTPC or good scaler) with an ISCO and is well below your pricepoint.

Call it 2.5K for the projector and another 1.5K for the lens and those are somewhat conservative numbers.

I have a 4:3 DLP projector that I use with an ISCO as well. I handle 4:3 material by using dscaler on a HTPC and it pillarboxes 4:3 material for me automagically. That's one way to handle it. Or move the ISCO out of the way.

Nigel

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Many 4:3 projectors recognize the need for constant height ratios and have built in zoom features to accomodate this. I have the Panasonic 75u and it has a s4:3 mode that centers a 4:3 source in a 16:9 screen, keeping the same height.

If you have the real estate, I would go with a 4:3 screen also, as it makes masking easier. But a 4:3 screen takes considerable height and most of us don't have 9' or 10' ceilings to accomodate a truly big picture.

Finally, as another consideration, most 4:3 sources (NTSC Cable, Satellite, video games, etc.) don't have the resolution to be showing on a large 4:3 screen anyway. That's why I prefer the small s4:3 mode of the 75u. I'd rather see a somewhat smaller 4:3 picture and my 16:9 pictures in widescreen glory. Since most of my viewing (HDTV and DVD) will be widescreen anyway, it makes more sense to go 16:9 screen for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with you robertmee the s4:3 mode is a very nice feature. Unfortunatley I can't convince anyone the comes and sees my 711xu that the picture needs to be smaller : ) I can't tell you how many times I've heard "make it big again". It makes me happy to know I have s4:3 for myself and regular 4:3 for others who aren't nearly as picky. Although I don't currently play computer games a 4:3 projector with s4:3 mode seems like a nice fit for those who want to watch DVD, XBox, cable, and play computer games. For HDTV you do lose some resolution however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.