AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i asked over in the Home theater computer forum and was redirected to here to ask.. ive been thinkin of upgrading my monitor and thought about a widescreen lcd monitor.. after searchin there arent many unless i pay money i dont have for somehting that is 20"+.. so my question is are 16:9 lcd monitors coming soon or would i be better off just getting a 4:3 for now?

i guess i just dont wanna spend money on a 4:3 if 16:9 is coming next month or soon.. i wanna stay under $1000 with a min res of 1280x720..

chris

·
Registered
174 Posts
if your a gamer or movie viewer, 16:9 would be good idea, but if your an office user or internet browser, then i would reccomend against it.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im definately a gamer and movie viewer..

chris

·
Registered
684 Posts
Most of the "wide" computer panels are 16:10. Apple, Samsung, Sony, etc.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There are several 17" widescreen out there but there's not much choice if you want anything bigger than 17" and do not want to spend over $1000.00. My ideal widescreen computer/monitor is at least 20" and also can be rotate so it will be a lot more useful when you search the net or working. There's only one I find can do this - Philips 170w but it is only 17".

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
SGI 17.3" 1600SW 16:10 1600x1024 (Manufactured by Mitsubishi in Japan) if you can still find them...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Almighty,

I can find 1600 sw on ebay easily but I am just not sure about a monitor that was designed and manufactured several years ago. The review of the monitor is great and the native resolution 1600X1024 is a lot better than 95% of the 17" monitor out there. Do you think it is still that great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found "Spectra" 17" LCD's with DVI/RGB/YC/component/compositer/SD-RF tuner connections at PC Mall for under 1-half your price limit (w/rebate). They're a kinda ugly silver, but what isn't these days?

Haven't tried them with my new DVHS or JVC HD camcorder yet. My PC's res-up to them with the analog VGA connector, but my Mac G5's need a DVI cable to support the 1280x768 res.

Hope this helps :)

pax

·
Registered
162 Posts
Xris,

I recently picked-up the 23" WS HD Tatung LCD (see pic) from one fo the big local clubs for a hair more than you want to spend....actually mine was a hair less (but that's another story). I do alot of Medal of Honor gaming, and night time TV watching since the panel is in my B/R, and I have to tell you, I haven't been disapointed in it yet...especially for the bucks. Except for the contrast, I think it's about as good as my plasma. I see no motion trails when gaming, and I love the WS for DVD's. SD TV looks more than acceptable (IMHO). It has plenty of connections (though be advised...no DVI). If you want to know anything else let me know. I tried 1280x768 (panels native res) for PC use, and I thought it looked great, but have switched to 1024x768 for PC, because I think somewhere in the manual that is what they suggested for the PC.

Ann

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vic Y
Almighty,

I can find 1600 sw on ebay easily but I am just not sure about a monitor that was designed and manufactured several years ago. The review of the monitor is great and the native resolution 1600X1024 is a lot better than 95% of the 17" monitor out there. Do you think it is still that great.
Well, the 1600SW on Ebay doesn't work until you have the SGI Multi-Link adapter. I have the SGI and it's great so far for the past several years besides the 1 bad pixel.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi Ann,

How much did you buy that 23" for? the lowest I see was $1248.00 at wallmart on the internet, same brand. I was thinking of getting one of these either from dell or gateway but seems like tatung is the cheapest for now. thanks

seng

·
Registered
162 Posts
Adaseng,

Without discussing pricing....It is less where I picked it up (re-read my post), than Wally's. I have yet to be disapointed with this panel. Granted contrast (shadow details) is not as good as my plasmas, but it doesn't seem to suffer from ghosting, even when I'm gaming on-line. The blacks are exceptional. I got mine a little cheaper than the advertised price (another story), but I would not hesitate to buy a second one @ the full price if I needed. It is perfect size for the budior...hehe....and it is sweet for wireless surfing from pillow.

Ann;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.