AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got my 80x45 screen... got my PJ outputting 1280x720.

Movies look great, but it seems the widescreen 16:9 moves are actually "shorter"? It seems there are bars on the top and bottom. Is this normal for widescreen movies?

Even this K19 movies we watched last night said "16:9 format for widescreen tvs" and it started out filling the whole screen, but when the movie started, it got shorter. Width was right on..

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
bvstone,

The term enhanced for widescreen TVs or 16x9 refers to the way the DVD was encoded to fit inside a 16x9 aspect. This allows 33% more resolution than if it is encoded to fit within a 4X3 frame. This however has nothing to do with what the aspect ratio of the film was when it was put inside that 16x9 frame. If the film had a 1.77:1 aspect it will fill it perfectly with no black bars. If it is 1.85:1( Cast Away,Shrek,and Ice Age for example) then there will be very very small bars top and bottom( depending on how your system is set up these may not even be visible). The 2.35:1 films will have even wider bars ( Attack of the Clones, The Matrix,and Lord of the Rings for example). There is nothing wrong this is just the film shape.

Art

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Art, thanks. Makes sense. I remember demoing Gone in 60 seconds and the salesman mentioned in was in some other format, and that's why the bars were on the top and bottom.

On my screen they're hardly noticable, so it's no biggie. I just wanted to make sure that I had my setting right because everything else (like windows, etc..) fits nicely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.