AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a couple of qs for you guys. Ive got a pretty small dorm room, ,and wish to get a decent projector. I just want something thats better than a regular TV. I view most if not all content from the computer. I have looked at used Panasonic AE-100 , but I think leave quite a sour taste around here. So here is the deal. Im going to be using this ONLY for DVD movies from a HTPC and displaying microsoft XBOX games. Lighting isnt a problem, but constrast is. I dont see where Im going to be using this whith the lights on , so Im not too concerned with lumen output, Im thinking 400-1000. Im somewhat worried about contrast, and format (ie 16:9 vs 4:3). Im mostly going to use this for movies. Is it worth is to pay like $500 more and get a native 16:9 pj? Or will 16:9 on 4:3 suffice. Also, ,Im planning on purchasing one of those RCA-> VGa things for the xbox so that everything goes in via VGA. Im looking at all mostly used projectors on ebay, and some retail ones. Dell has the 2100mp , which I can get with coupons/etc for around $1000, but even this is pretty epensive for a college student with loans/etc. I work , so I can kinda afford at least one luxury (a projector) . Also , which is better, DLP or LCD for my uses. Should I also build a VGA to Component circuit as illustrated , or is that only pertinent if I have a projector that does HDTV

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after looking around, I found a couple of DLPS that are pretty nice. Im kinda worried about screen door with LCDs b/c Im sitting pretty close. Just to restate that blob above

1) Is DLP or LCD better with games

2) does the form factor 16:9 or 4:3 matter if Im JUST going to use this for DVDs and XBOX

3) are there any cheap or late model projectors that anyone can suggest

4) Should I run everything through component or VGa

Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
mprover,

1) Neither would be particularly better for games.

2) Probably not. Especially, if you prefer a DLP projector, there is no way of getting a 16:9 native model at a budget price.

3) For DLP's, I suggest you consider the InFocus X1 and Sharp Z90 in addition to the Dell. For LCD's, the Sanyo Z1 and Panny L300u are the two most popular budget projectors. There are tons of threads here talking about these models.

4) Not really. For Xbox, I think the component is more straightforward, not needing anything additional. For the HTPC, you will probably need to go with VGA.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright , well, I guess I might save some money and go with a cheaper used DLP w/ like 600 lumens and hopefully 300:1 constast, and run the xbox through svideo as I probably wont be able to get anything with component for that price. I apreciate your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.