AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that there are articles about this issue elsewhere, notably on Projectorcentral.com ( see: http://www.projectorcentral.com/formats.htm ), but I am still undecided as to which way to go.

I am considering three projectors: X1, Z1, and L300. The L and Z offer the same solution so I see them as one for this discussion.

My viewing in my as yet to be completed theater is going to be almost exclusively DVD for my wife and I, with mostly 16:9 movies, and some older 4:3 stuff. There will also be some sporting events, but not too much.

My kids and grandkids will be watching whatever and playing games on this system. I am trying to come up with what works best for me first, the kids and grandkids second. I know that sounds greedy, but hey, I am paying for it!:)

As a reference point, I am planning on using an approximately 92" wide screen. The room is going to be completely light controlled. I am starting from scratch in an unused basement room with 8' ceilings. I will be able to get the PJ wherever I need to and get the screen up near the ceiling. Seating distance will be at least 1.5x screen width.

I have done the math as most of us have who are planning one of these projects, and have come up with the following:

Z1/L300:

540x960 resolution

52x92 screen = 518,400 pixels in native 16:9 format - 108pixels/sq. inch

52x69 screen = 388,000 pixels in cropped 4:3 - 108pixels/sq. inch with 11.5" bars left and right.

This solution gives me an optimal setup for MY viewing, and a somewhat compromised solution for the 4:3 stuff (smaller screen).

X1 solution:

800x600 resolution

69x92 screen = 480,000 pixels in native 4:3 format - 75 pixels/sq. inch

52x92 screen = 364,258 pixels in cropped 16:9 format - 75 pixels/sq. inch with 8.5 horizontal bars top and bottom.

This preserves my 16:9 experience (masking issues are tougher) but gives a super 4:3 image - if the PJ can handle it.

It would seem on paper that the Z1/L300 solution would be the best, but I have seen both an X1 and L300 (not together, admittedly) and they both looked great. I didn't get out my tape while I was watching them, but I remember both sales reps saying that they were about 90 on the width. I am aiming for a 100" diagonal for my 16:9 viewing, which is what both of these solutions offer - 106" actually. I can dial it back a little as well.

Has anyone wrestled with this issue here with these PJ's? The easy way out of course is to go the Z1/L300 route. I can create a screen that is wider still to accomodate Cinemascope if necessary. Any horizontal masking is a snap with curtain rods. 4:3 is still way bigger and better than the 8 year old 50" Mits RPTV that they are using now.

But I am torn. If I can make the X1 work under the above condiions with good results, then I am in favor of giving the kiddies (young and old) a tremendous experience. The 16:9 performance I saw with the X1 seemed very good indeed. Will a screen of that size in 4:3 be too much for the X1?

My screen is going to be recessed slightly in a false wall, so I will need to know how big to make the 'box' to fit it in.

Any input from past experience will be appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
There are 16:9 video games.

If you are getting a 4:3 projector and watch plenty of 16:9 or wider aspects, you might want to look into getting an anamorphic lens, it will allow you to use all your projector's pixels but still get the widescreen.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know anything about anamorphic lenses. To make it work for one format, will I have to remove it for the other?

I am intending this to be something that will not necessarily require my presence i.e. I am planning a heavily macro'd remote to simplify whatever viewing is going to take place down to pushing 'movie', 'xbox', 'tv' etc.

Ballpark, what do those lenses run?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.