Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radeon 64 DDR VIVO

Audio Authority VGA to RGB Component

Sony projection that can handle 480 720 etc.

Going into component input "squashes" video to 16:9 format - thereby double "squashing" signal already coming out of the VGA in 16:9 format.

How can I adapt ny VGA output to correct for this?

Surely someone here can answer this???? This is the second post.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm going to do my best here since you seem desparate...

What resolution and refresh do you have your computer set to? Maybe you are way off spec for your projector?

Is there a setting on your projector that DOES perform this "squish" maybe you have overlooked this setting and you are performing the squish when you don't want to?

Does the unit accept 16:9 or do you have to feed it 4:3 material and then have it project 16:9. Meaning maybe you need to set your output to say 800x600 and unlock your aspect ratio in your player software so that the 16:9 material gets corrected by your projector...?? Dunno..just taking stabs at it...

Why don't you tell us which projector you have. Maybe someone else has close to the same setup.

hope that helps some

EAS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sony hs53 30 53" 30 model - brand new high def capable set.

The HD inputs (component) when used with the VGA and Audio Athority box are not letting me view anything else but 16:9 - now since the PC is already sending out a 16:9 signal or a 4:3 signal the set is still squashing the video - I am not sure why thre have not been 500 answers to my problem???? The set will not let me change the rez at all.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecazz
Sony hs53 30 53" 30 model - brand new high def capable set.

The HD inputs (component) when used with the VGA and Audio Athority box are not letting me view anything else but 16:9 - now since the PC is already sending out a 16:9 signal or a 4:3 signal the set is still squashing the video - I am not sure why thre have not been 500 answers to my problem???? The set will not let me change the rez at all.

First...likely the reason you are not getting a lot of responses is that your post puts off some people....People post responses to help people who are in need of some answers. Hint: a little humility goes a long way. Nobody is entitled to help.

You need to answer the question about resolution and refresh rate you are sending the set. If you are not sending either 640x480 or 960x540 at 60Hz you are going to have problems.

Also, I have a strong belief that you have the "16:9 enhanced mode" enabled on the set. You might want to check this. This feature squeezes the vertical scan on your set.

How to set 16:9 mode

Your set is a 4:3 is it not? It's hard to tell...I couldn't find the model given the numbers you posted.... if so I think you should be sending it a 4:3 signal like 640x480 @ 60Hz only.

Cheers

EAS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Advice taken - I assumed this was simple issue for someone expereinced.

The TV is a Sony KP53HS20

Radeon 64 Meg DDR out VGA @ 800x600 60hz

I dont think the component input can take more than 60hz correct? Or is it the SVHS that cant -

I dont think the Radeon is supporting custom rex right now - true?

800x600 at 60 is the only thing that seems stable.

Component input from DVD plays fine at 16:9 or 4:3 formats.

Once I connect to the component inputs the TV no longer allows me to change the 16:9 option - it grays it out - I am assuming HD capable inputs assume your going to go to 16:9 format all the time

Yes it is a 4:3 tv with HDTV capability - no internal converter

It can do the following.

High Scan

1080i

720p

480p

480i

They call it 16:9 Enhancement

Vertical Compression Technology maximizes picture resolution on anamorphic or wide screen sources

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
mikecazz,

Quote:
I dont think the component input can take more than 60hz correct? Or is it the SVHS that cant
That's correct, and neither can the SVHS.

Quote:
I dont think the Radeon is supporting custom rex right now - true?
I wouldn't consider 800x600 to be custom as it is a standard resolution available on any PC.

Quote:
800x600 at 60 is the only thing that seems stable.
Have you tried using PowerStrip at other resolutions? Frankly, I'm surprised that you can even get 800x600.

You did not state what DVD software you are using, which is important for us to figure out what the problem is. You also should state what DVD you are using, and whether it is anamorphic or letterbox.

Quote:
Component input from DVD plays fine at 16:9 or 4:3 formats.

Once I connect to the component inputs the TV no longer allows me to change the 16:9 option - it grays it out - I am assuming HD capable inputs assume your going to go to 16:9 format all the time
I think you have to clarify the statements above as it sounds contradictory. Is component 16:9 fine? Or is it not?

Quote:
They call it 16:9 Enhancement

Vertical Compression Technology maximizes picture resolution on anamorphic or wide screen sources
This simply means that you can feed the set anamorphic signal and then squeeze the image to the proper aspect ratio. Most 4:3 sets will often take anamorphic signals and fill the screen, creating tall and skinny image, which needs to be compressed to the proper aspect.

It sounds to me as if you need to check your DVD player to undo the "maintain aspect ratio" but how this will interact depends on your software decoder and the resolution you are using.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
619 Posts
My Zenith RPTV has a similar problem/feature. It will accept a normal HD signal through the VGA input but it allows only 640X480 "VGA" input from a computer.

In that mode I can change the width from 4X3 to 16X9 but I can't use the zoom function.

It's not much of problem but occasionally irritating when using a program that expects an 800X600 display.

Rick

·
Registered
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecazz

It can do the following.

High Scan

1080i

720p

480p

480i

If these are the only resolutions your set can do then you probably will have trouble with 800x600. How about trying resolutions that match these specs...like 720x480 and 1280x720. I know you say 800x600 is the only thing that seems stable, but you say it's squished...I'm thinking that this may be an artifact of feeding the set the wrong resolution. Can you tell us what happens when you try the resolutions that match the standard HD specs?

Maybe you could try:
  • 640x480
  • 720x540
  • 720x480
  • 1280x720

and then let us know the results on each. In your software DVD player unlock the aspect ratio lock. Tell us how a DVD looks and tell us how your desktop looks on your set for each resolution.

I hope this helps

EAS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could I ask someone very expereinced to go direct to email? - Or does it help others to see how confused I am?

Also - I do not think an ATI Radeon can feed or handle "custom" resolutions that may match the HD spec - right? Anyone know this for sure?

Please see my previous post as I am certain my TV can do all the major rez even 720. I will get a new card if that is the issue.

In addition to my posts above Ill try an explain exactly what I am doing.

Many movies I watch come from normal Integra DD player into the component inputs - everything is great.

BUT...I watch some from backups - in other words compressed DVD titles burned onto cd roms. In this format as with many it is usually lets say 16:9 size.

Its coming thru the VGA and cd rom set to this format - I am NOT sure using a software dvd player will stretch or crunch it to handle my problem. i.e. could I double size it vertically before the VGA out to compensate for the HD crunching it in 1/2 vertically.

My problem is the HD component inputs set everything to HD size - so in essence my vertical height is getting squashed in 1/2 or say double compressed vertically - sound confusing? Email me for a picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.