AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
...if the source is DVD, with an anamorphic 2.35 format, aren't the black bar regions part of the anamorphic image information, meaning 25% of the available image detail is p_ssed away, to begin with? Does the question become, do any scalers exist that select solely the useable mid screen information (360i?) from such widescreen DVD's and scale that detail up to full panel 480p or 720p, so that a pj displaying this modified image in the normal anamorphic stretch mode, and equipped with an aftermarket anamorphic lens, can display full panel resolution in proper 2.35 perspective?

This seems doable. I may be confused, but would you expect the PQ of an image scaled up from a 360i source as described above to be appreciably better than simply zooming out on a normal anamorphic stretched 2.35 image to full screen height (on a 2.35 screen)?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
This is the method used by Runco in their 2.35:1 projectors. What I want to see are DVDs that have done this already so the resolution available is not wasted on black bars.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Aren't tjere several DVD players that do this as well? I'm very interested in this capability as, not only do you get higher resolution but just as importantly you eliminate those not-quite-black black bars.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
What I want to see are DVDs that have done this already so the resolution available is not wasted on black bars.
You are right on the money with this wish, Dennis. We can only hope that when Blu-Ray and the other HD DVD formats arrive they will have not only the current 16:9 option, but a full res squeezed 2.35 option for those of us who will use anamorphic projection.

Jedi and Dan,

You are right...and better at describing it than me. That is precisely the advantage of anamorphic projection. Of course some care has to be taken to now have optics that don't take their toll on the process. A pricey alternative.

A number of scalers are hitting the street that can do this. Custom input resolution can be selected, as well as output. Unfortunately, not all of those do non-linear scaling...so you can expand 1.78 material to the 2.35 width with minimal central geometric distortion. Dennis has pointed out that Runco scalers have this capability. The iscan HD+ will have the custom resolution capabilities, but not non-linear scaling. The follow on to the HD+ will have this capability. Dale Adams says more info on this follow up model at CES.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
many 16/9 pjs can be set in zoom mode and you just have to add an ISCO lens in front of it. and you end with full vertical resolution.

i don't think we'll ever see cinemascope movies encoded in with a 66% vertical compression though.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
many 16/9 pjs can be set in zoom mode and you just have to add an ISCO lens in front of it. and you end with full vertical resolution.
Will this feature only zoom in the vertical axis? If it is just a standard zoom, then what would you propose to call the lost image on the sides? It would be loss of 2.35 original content. Counterproductive IMHO...but I shoot such movies, so I have a vested interest in all of it getting to you.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
The mode needed is called Letterbox.

If you have a Video Processor/Scaler that performs this then it is not needed in the projector.

Heres the tricky part.

Weather counting on the projector or scaler to perform the needed Letterbox mode it also has to work this mode with HD content as well.

Also most projectors that offer Letterbox as a selection may only offer this on limited inputs. For instance if you have the Sharp 12k it does not offer any aspect ratio setting as such if using the DVI input.

The few projectors that I know that do offer this on all inputs are:

JVCs Lcos, SX21, HX1,HD2K,HX2

All Selecos

I have no personal experience beyond what Ive listed but Im sure there are more out there.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
The Runco does this BUT through their DHD scaler (which comes with all their projectors from the 1000 and up). Thus all inputs (including DVI, DVI-HDCP, analog, etc) are managed the same way. You simply select 4:3, 16:9 or cinema on the remote.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Hi Dennis

Thanks for jumping in. How could I forget to mention this.

Anyone wanting a 235:1 setup who prefer user friendly setup that works as a polished integrated system right out of the box should buy a Runco.

I give Runco credit for adding the 235:1 feature. Most manufactures would wine and say theres not enough interest to make it worth while but Sams love for the cinema experience helps keep his product unique while taking risks other manufactures would never take.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
agree not all projectors allow the aspect ratio mode needed for use with a lens on all their inputs.

an outboard scaler then is needed but it 's god damn worth.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I discovered today that the Digital Projection Mercury HD projector has this feature. If you download the user manual, you will find that you can tell the projector what format is going in (including 2.35), and the screen (output).

Thanks for that tip Alan.

That said, I know nothing of the projector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.