AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about using a video splitter to add a 17" monitor to my theater so that I do not have to turn on the big one every time.

I run a resolution of 1280 x 720, which is a 16:9 ratio. What will happen if I send that resolution to a 4:3 monitor? Will it display?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Would depend on the monitor... I presume some monitors out there would sync to 720p widescreen... I am guessing a CRT would be more forgiving...

I belive others tend to use a dual head video card for this purpose...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It should display fine, just it'll look >squished

If you have a card that supports dual display, you can get rid of that problem and set up a seperate resolution for the CRT monitor and have the Windows desktop expand across both displays etc.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You could adjust the monitor to display true 16x9 (with black bars on top and bottom). Most monitors have enough adjustment to squish picture to proper size. Some, like mine, also have separate memory for each resolution so adjustments made to 960x540 for example will not affect the display of standard resolutions.

Tomasz

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

They sound positive :)

TomasZ, you are correct. I can easily "squish" this monitor to approx. 16:9 ratio.

Phat Phreddy, you stated that a CRT monitor may be more forgiving.

Are you suggesting that it may not work with an LCD screen?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Torre
Are you suggesting that it may not work with an LCD screen?
I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Correct... CRT's seem more forgiving in accepting all thats thrown at them... By virtue of needing to scale incoming signals to match pixels flat panels tend to be much more picky about thier input...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.