AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When setting up a projector to work with a 16:9 screen and a closer than recommended distance (ala William), should I use Blanking to mask the image to a 16:9 format or just let the 4:3 image project above and below the screen area?

Ed

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Ed

I would go with blanking to do away with spillover.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do a vertical squeeze to get a 16:9 aspect ration from your PJ.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Both are correct, depending on what you are feeding the projector. If you are sending a 16:9 aspect ratio signal, then you'd use the vertical squeeze to get the geometry right on the tube and then that will match your screen.

If you are sending it a 4:3 signal with 16:9 material centered vertically in it then using the vertical squeeze would distort the picture, and using blanking to block off the bottom and top will work for you.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Is it possible to get a 16:9 desktop in a 4:3 signal? Right now I'm using 540x960 and compressing the raster. The Desk top is normal right now. However, I think that I'm stressing the convergence circuits and causing some image problems as the red and blue both show lines running horizontally. I'd like to uncompress the raster and run 4:3 again but I can't read the bottom of the desktop (task bar) to shut down etc.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not sure exactly what you are asking - are you saying you think that compressing your raster is causing excessive settings in the other convergence adjustments? Because I don't think it should make much if any difference, really.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes, I think that is what is happening. The compressed raster is affecting the convergence capability and results in the image problem on the red and blue tubes. Green isn't affected because there is no convergence required for it. So, I'd like to try and uncompress the raster then use top and bottom blanking to get a 16:9 format again. However, since it's now a 4:3 "image" blanked to a 16:9 format I would need to be able to tell windows to use a 16:9 desktop....

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Blanking a 4:3 Image is just going to cut off the top and bottom of the image. Besides that I dont think that there is enough vertical blanking to make the image only show the 16:9 portion of the screen.

Blanking basically tunso off or earases scan lines so if you are able to use that much blanking you will be earasing top and bottom portions of the image.

Compressing the raster to a 16:9 ratio shouldnt effect convergence or crerate distortions or video noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.