Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

When I was researching the Sony 36XBR450, I noticed the following menu option: It was called '16x9 Enhanced Mode', and the 2 options were Auto & On.

Earlier this afternoon, I was checking out the Panasonic CT36HX41 set. This too had a similar squeeze mode menu option. However, the two options with this set, were Auto & 4:3. Does this mean that the Panasonic set has the squeeze mode enabled by default, and you turn it off by selecting the 4:3 option?

Also, does anyone know if the Panasonic will do the squeeze for BOTH 480p AND 1080i signals?

Finally, I have never owned a Panasonic set, but the picture on this one was outstanding (at least in my opinion). Thus, I was wondering if there are any Panasonic TV owners who could share their experience (good and bad)?

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by NewMember (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
"Auto" means auto-detect whether to go into 16:9 mode or not. This auto-detection sometimes fails, e.g., all 16:9 Sony PS2 games will appear to be 4:3 to the set and thus will be vertically stretched. With the Sony XBR450, if the auto-detect function falsely identifies a 16:9 (anamorphic) picture as 4:3, then you can force it on. With the Panasonic, if auto-detect falsely identifies a 4:3 picture as 16:9 (anamorphic), then you can force it off. Both are brain-damaged, but I think Sony's method is better.

The Panasonic does the squeeze for both 480p and 1080i.

The old generation of Panasonic direct views had a lot of relatively minor faults: bad geometry, brown/dark color, excessive vertical overscan in squeeze mode. The old Wegas frequently had bad geometry too.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Abdul,

Thank-you for your response, but I am still a bit confused about something; you wrote:

"With the Sony XBR450, if the auto-detect function falsely identifies a 16:9 (anamorphic) picture as 4:3, then you can force it on. With the Panasonic, if auto-detect falsely identifies a 4:3 picture as 16:9 (anamorphic), then you can force it off."

My question is, what happens if the Panasonic has the same problem as the XBR; that is, the auto-detect falsely identifies a 16:9 (anamorphic) picture as 4:3? To use your example, let's say you tried playing a PS2 game in a widescreen mode.

Sorry if I am a little slow with this, but I am still pretty new to this home theater stuff.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yeah, well, you got it right, just take the next logical step. A Panasonic set won't display PS2 games in widescreen mode, because the 16:9 PS2 games do not send the necessary flag and the Panasonic stays stuck in 4:3 mode no matter whether you select "AUTO" or "4:3". So, those 16:9 games will be vertically stretched, and you might as well just put them into 4:3 mode on the PS2 side too. By the way, back when I was shopping, I tried this myself on a CT32HX40, bringing in my own PS2 and SSX, which has a widescreen mode. And indeed, no widescreen PS2 on the Panasonic, though it did work on the Sony 53HS10 and Philips 60PP9601. Aside from the PS2 and some ancient DVD players, just about everything does set that flag, so this oversight won't often bite you.

------------------

Abdul

s>

[This message has been edited by Abdul Jalib (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for clearing that up, but I am curious: is this problem of "mistaken identity", a function of the DVD player? That is, the player is sending the wrong "flag" to the TV? Or is the problem, that the TV sometimes just does not respond to the flag, even if the flag is correct?

Again, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The PS2 never sets the "squeeze me" flag for widescreen games, and some ancient DVD players never set the "squeeze me" flag for anamorphic DVD's.

------------------

Abdul

s>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.