AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a 16:9 tv set, when I'm not watching a 16:9 dvd or letterbox PPV, how will other shows look.

For example, will the Simpsons be stretched out wide? Will there be black space around the side to make it 4:3?

Sorry for the stupid question...

·
Registered
366 Posts
You answered it yourself....there will most likely be black bars on the sides :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Using the remote control you choose from the following:

(4:3 or normal) The 4:3 picture fits in the middle of the screen with unused screen area at both sides,

(16:9 or full) The picture is unnaturally stretched to fill the screen,

(zoom) The picture is enlarged to fill the screen without unnatural stretching but the top and bottom are cropped.

Names of these modes may vary. There may be other choices too, such as stretching the left and right more than the middle.

Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I would have to comment. I have been out shopping for 16:9 sets recently. The new "natural wide"/"Theater wide" modes manage to fill the screen quite well without the unnaturla distortion most people think will be there. Try it out, have the sales people demonstrate for you, I believe you will be pleasently suprised. The picture can usually be stretched unnaturaly, letterboxed, or clipped ( great for tv widescreen's that are 16:9 or better naturally ) as well as the more advanced strech modes.

The best streching is in the pioneer, and toshiba with the Sony's catching up.

·
Registered
904 Posts
the "natural wide" mode in my pioneer works very well. It stretches the center very little, with increasing stretch towards the sides. This preserves the look of faces, etc which tend to be centered on screen. During normal viewing, I never notice the distortion (of course, normal TV is always compromised on a set like this). When really looking, I can see what the stretch is doing, but even then it's not disturbing.

jake

·
Registered
121 Posts
Last week I looked at several 16:9 sets and how they handle stretching 4:3 images. I thought the Pioneer Elites were the best, followed by the Panasonic. The Sony’s were OK, and the Mitsubishi's were terrible. Of course, the store may not have had the sets setup correctly. YMMV

Brett

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have a Toshiba 56" TheaterWide RPTV and I always have it in Full mode (stretched). It looks great and like getting as much on the screen as possible. Personally I hate the idea of only using 75% of my TV's screen!

Kevin

·
Registered
904 Posts
imlucid,

I'm surprised to hear that you like "full" best for 4:3 material. This mode stretches the whole screen evenly and is meant for anamorphic and other 16:9 material. The Theater Wide 1 mode is what most people seem to prefer as this provides a more natural look for the material closest to the center of the screen.

jake

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
jake,

I guess the main reason I like the "full" mode best is that I get more lines per inch. In the zoom mode I can visibly see the loss of resolution. Its amazing how quickly your mind adjusts to the stretched image. I don't even notice the difference when switching to anamorphic material...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Theater wide mode 1 looses no more lines than a poorly overscanned TV and the aspect ratio is correct for something like 70% of the screen. I find it much more appealing then full for 4:3 materal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.