AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
even though i registered today, i've been reading posts on this forum for a week and doing various searches, but i still have a few basic questions that i didn't see answers too. apologies if they are repetitious, but hopefully replies will help others too.

like many here i'm thinking of getting a projector for dvd use. my idea of home theater is going to be very simple, like this one guy who posted a picture of his home theater set-up -- the projector on the coffee table pointed to the screen with speakers below and to the side of it. add a couch and that's my home theater.

1. is a 16:9 projector really needed for dvd watching? i know dvds are formatted in widescreen (1.85:1 or 2.35:1) but what really is the end result of using a 4:3 projector? what does it look like on the screen? does 1.85 and 2.35:1 differ? on my 4:3 tv, i see black bars on top and bottom of the screen. is it the same for a front projector? or would the pixels not being used just beam light on the top and bottom giving it a halo effect? bottom line, would i really miss 16:9?

2. some projectors are coming out with digital video. will i being saying in the near future "gee i wish i had a dvi input"?

3. some projectors that i'm considering have fan noise of 39 dbs. others like the xv-9000u are rated 32 dbs. can any one tell me how loud 32 dbs and 39 dbs is by providing comparisons to other known devices, like a computer fan or microwave? if i opted for 39 dbs projector would i really need to have the volume cranked up to hear the movie!?

4. are the new dlps (like the xv-9000u) bright enough to be used during the day in a room where the only light control are the window shades and with no way to close off natural light from the hallway? (i suppose i could wait until it's dark -- hee hee hee.)

thanks and if sound like a newbie it's only because i am.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm not an owner, but can answer your math questions.

1) If your primary content will be DVD then a native 16:9 projector will help you. Just think about it, with a 4:3 projector your are loosing a good chunk of your resolution and luminence power by displaying black bars. With a native 16:9 projector more of your resolution is used to display the image.

2) Prossibly. If you are like most and are most interested in DVD output a whole digital solution will help you drive any possibility of video noise from your system. Basicly if you never intend on using a HTPC or upgrading to a digital DVD it might not be useful, but you are investing in a projector. HTPC and SDI / DVI DVD players might help you really take advantage of that investment.

3) 30db is consitered quiet conversation and for every 3db the sound energy doubles. So 32db is not much louder than 30, but 39 is 8 times louder than 30db. From what I understand it's a goal to bring this down to the 20's to not disturb quiet scenes. YMMV

4) Not an owner so I don't know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.