Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

A long time ago I used to have a program -- a very small .exe that ran in Windows -- that would quickly calculate the equivalent diagonal size of a 4:3 window within a given size 16:9 frame (i.e. w/o any zooming or stretching) and also the same for a 16:9 window within a 4:3 frame. For instance, you input x" diagonal for the 16:9 display and the program returns y" for the 4:3 frame. It's not tough to calculate of course, but it was a nice way to visualize the ratios and show novices how aspect ratios work with 16:9 displays. Does anyone know where I can find this program?

Come to think of it, a mobile version (Palm OS, etc.) would be kind of cool as well...

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, I don't have a program, but here's how to do it with a calculator:

I've been recently doing these calculations to figure out some equivalent sizes, etc. to help decide what size plasma to put on the wall behind where the TV now lives. I used the same trigonometry functions to figure out the ratios you're interested in.

To find the diagonal size of a 4:3 frame fit in a 16:9 set:

Multiply the 16:9 diagonal by 0.81710206605426495393880057204928

To find the diagonal size of a 16:9 frame fit in a 4:3 set:

Multiply the 4:3 diagonal by 0.91787798753429096492458597593536

All calculations done just now on the Windows XP calculator. Please correct my numbers if they're wrong, but they do seem right when used with real numbers.

- Aaron

·
Registered
442 Posts
Or you could use this simple Excel spreadsheet. If you want to tote it around with you on your PDA, there are many different options for doing so (PM if you don't know of any). HTH.

- Craig

4x3and16x9.zip 1.8505859375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

This stuff works great. I still wouldn't mind having that program I mentioned originally if anyone remembers it. The main difference was that it graphically showed the dimensions along with the numbers. As anyone who has wept blood trying to explain aspect ratios to the uninitiated can attest, pictures are invaluable...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.