AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is my dilema. I have a projector (Toshiba TLP-650) that currently displays on my wall (cream colored, not too bad). When I move in to my new house I will not have the luxury of a wall but a window. I am going to purchase black out curtains to block the light and hang the screen in front of it, but that's where my question lies. I have black bars on top and on bottom of a normal DVD (typical viewing, widescreen). Should I purchase a 4:3 screen and mask it (it has to be a standard roll down screen) or should I get a 16:9 screen and just let the bars bleed off below and above the picture? Anyway, I hope this sounds more intelligent than I think it does. Any help would be appreciated.

Craig Carrigan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Craig,

If you get a 4:3 you don't have to mask it. It will give a more theatrical feel to it though if you do.

I currently use a 4:3 screen. I like my 4:3 really, really BIG! I chose not to waste pixels and display 4:3 in the middle of a 16:9. The shape of the 16:9 is more theatrical too, albiet not as practical.

It all ends up to be your personal preference on what you want the "feel" of your HT to be. I'm a practical type and believe if you have a 4:3 display device you get a 4:3 screen, 16:9 projector, same goes for screen.

If you have $$ and time, try both. I'll bet you and your guests will love the monster 4:3 though.

------------------

Ken B.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My personal preference is a 16:9 screen, since the better source material is in 16:9 format. NTSC material does not look all that great when blown up, so I shrink it down and fit it inside the 16:9 screen. Of course if you do much with computer games or something high res in 4:3, that would change things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.