AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking through the threads on this and it seems I am more confused than I was.

I have an old CRT tube tv. (Eventually, I will get an LCD) I am also getting the Logic Design Video Filter to record protected cable and DVD movies. The filter allows me to set the flag as 16:9 or 4:3 when I am recording through it.

Here is my question: Which flag should I be using? I want a picture that will look good on my current TV and the LCD I will get in the future.

If I understand right (someone correct me if i am wrong), the 16:9 flag wont matter when I get the LCD so should i only set it when I am recording widescreen DVD movies?

I am confused. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Yes, you should set the widscreen flag for any content the is in fact, widescreen. Don't set it for 4:3 content. That's what the flag is for, to flag widescreen content. In order for it to do it's intended job, the flagged content must be 16:9 anamorphic. It is 16:9 but squeezed into a 4:3 signal, so it has to be expanded to be watch with the correct aspect ratio.

·
Registered
22,351 Posts
Before you do anything with the flag, confirm whether your recorder can, in fact record 16:9. Most do not. If not, then you want to leave it at 4:3 and deal with it post-recording.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Found perfect tool for fixing the 4:3 to 16:9 flag.

DVDpatcher. It's free, easy to use and fast! After making all correct settings be sure you put check mark in patch entire file before doing patch. When making video files with Shrink, or DVDDecrypter make sure you go into settings and disable splitting vob files, need to make them all one file. DVDPatcher will not patch complete title without doing this.

Download from here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDPatcher

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/12990555

Before you do anything with the flag, confirm whether your recorder can, in fact record 16:9. Most do not. If not, then you want to leave it at 4:3 and deal with it post-recording.

All DVDRs will record the image they are sent. You must have a source that provides a 16x9 image squeezed to fit in a 4x3 frame, in order to "record in 16x9," i.e. make anamorphic recordings. Any DVDR will do that with the correct source, none will do it without the correct source.

·
Registered
817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/13012582

All DVDRs will record the image they are sent. You must have a source that provides a 16x9 image squeezed to fit in a 4x3 frame, in order to "record in 16x9," i.e. make anamorphic recordings. Any DVDR will do that with the correct source, none will do it without the correct source.

So how come with the exact same DV camcorder 16:9 source, my Toshiba RD-XS35 does, but a Panasonic DMR-EH55 or a Philips 3575H does not?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
First, I'm talking about recording an image, not setting a flag. Some DVDRs set a flag, some don't. Are you using the same output from your camcorder to all three machines? If not, perhaps your camcorder outputs the signal differently, from different outputs.

There are no DVDRs that take a letterboxed image, and process it to be an anamorphic one, or vice-versa (for recording purposes). Of course DVDRs, and players, can be set to output a letterboxed image from an anamorphic DVD. But that is a playback function, not a recording one.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl /forum/post/13012759

So how come with the exact same DV camcorder 16:9 source, my Toshiba RD-XS35 does, but a Panasonic DMR-EH55 or a Philips 3575H does not?

I discovered a new thing on rec 16:9 WS with the 3575... when you change the TV Aspect in the Video menu, it sometimes "hangs" on the last setting. When you press the Setup button to get out of the menu after making a change, the new aspect should pop on screen from a digital channel or other WS DIGITAL source.

While your older DV camera may still not be compatible with the 3575 (or the EH55), the hanging aspect setting might have played a role?

If you've still got it, it would be interesting to tune to a digital channel, change the aspect to 16:9 Wide, and make sure the pic pops into that format after pressing the Setup button to exit. Then connect the DV and try again?

It's a WYSIWYG thing.... what you see on the screen is what you'll record.

More info here for anyone interested.

·
Registered
817 Posts
kjbawc,

OK, I guess it's the 16:9 flag we're talking about here.

wajo,

Unfortunately, I returned it; otherwise, I would have been happy to try it out as you suggest. But surely among the legions of 3575 owners, some might try to shoot 16:9 widescreen video with a DV cam and try to capture it via DV In. It would be great for them if mine were just an isolated incident, so I'd be quite interested if there is more than one person who succeeded.

·
Registered
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt /forum/post/12991576

Found perfect tool for fixing the 4:3 to 16:9 flag.

DVDpatcher. It's free, easy to use and fast! After making all correct settings be sure you put check mark in patch entire file before doing patch. When making video files with Shrink, or DVDDecrypter make sure you go into settings and disable splitting vob files, need to make them all one file. DVDPatcher will not patch complete title without doing this.

Download from here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDPatcher

Have you used it yet on recording from either the Mag 2080, or the Philips 3575? If so, what steps were necessary?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie /forum/post/13022789

Have you used it yet on recording from either the Mag 2080, or the Philips 3575? If so, what steps were necessary?

Thanks,

Rick

Used with 3575

1. dub to dvd-rw

2. use dvd shrink in file mode to hard disk, and be sure to un-check the split files to 1 mb. chunks, need to have just 1 large file.

3. open dvdpatcher and open video file on hard disc.

4. check custom bitrate and if in HQ put in 955800 or what patcher shows for Mpeg2 info.

5. horizontal pix check 720

6. Aspect check 16:9

7. check patch entire file

8. click patch now and then start won't take long for it to patch.

9. open the patched files with shrink and you can see it plays back in 16:9 but before it would be 4:3.

10. use shrink to make iso and burn.

I think you could also use DVD Decrypter as long as you made sure it output is set to none for file splitting in the iso mode read options. Hope this helps, I only do this if someone needs to use on a 4:3 TV, otherwise not needed for 16:9 TV. On a final note, some DVD player and TV combinations may still give the wrong aspect, so no guarantee this is 100% fix for everyone.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Or just use IFOEdit and set the 16:9 flag in the IFO file for the title after you've created the DVD files on your PC hard drive and before you burn it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Or, you can use the Video Filter and set the widescreen flag real-time when the recording is being done. Much faster process. You can, at the same time, set the CGMS flag also on the fly.

·
Registered
13,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design /forum/post/13042801

Or, you can use the Video Filter and set the widescreen flag real-time when the recording is being done. Much faster process.

But will the recorder pick it up and cooperate? i.e. Pansonic recorders recording to RAM seem to play nice with the flag and set it properly, but the same recorder, recording the same source but to DVD-R "ignores" the flag. Would the Video Filter between source and Panasonic recorder force it to record the flag properly on DVD-R media?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I believe that W/S flag tests were run with the EH50, and the flag was not set properly when the program was finalized on a -R disk. I haven't heard about "official" tests on any newer Panasonic DVD recorders, but since the manuals seem to always say, -RAM only, I would strongly suspect that the recorders are ignoring or dropping the flag. This seems odd since they preserve it for -RAM, but I don't know the issues involved. I no longer have a 4:3 television, so it doesn't matter to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts