AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you set up a projector to project only a 16:9 image using an HTPC?

Do you just adjust the image height and powerstrip?

·
Registered
491 Posts
What kind of projector are you using? Normally you just compress the vertical height of the image on the CRT to the 16:9 shape of your screen, then set your HTPC resolution to a 16:9 format, such as 1280x720. You may need Powerstrip to define a custom res setting for your video card. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You will also need DVD playback software that understands aspect ratio control...

I recommend TheaterTek, or even better Zoomplayer (though zoomplayer needs another DVD decoder player installed so it can use the decoders.)

- Rick

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im using a Sony 1252Q, with an ATI AIW7500.

So basically, I just set the image to match a 16:9 screen using the projectors controls...Thats easy enough...

another question. Would you then uncheck such settings in windvd as Keep aspect ratio?

Would 2:35:1 etc already be at the correct aspect ratio since you have limited the vertical image size using the controls of the projector?

·
Registered
491 Posts
You uncheck the "keep aspect ratio" box when you want everything to look weird. Personally I always keep the original aspect ratio, but I guess some people might unlock it so the image fills up their entire screen, e.g. when displaying 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen.

As long as you keep your original aspect ratio locked in WinDVD, then any aspect ratio displayed will appear correctly on your CRT. Non-anamorphic discs, however, will require some Powerstrip manipulation because they're actually 4:3 even though the image is 16:9.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.