AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my new construction pre-wiring for whole house audio and video distribution. It's another one of those deals where I had no choice but to use the builder's contractor, who fleeced me in the process, of course.

The contractor, Guardian Security, did agree without hesitation to allow me to be on hand during the pre-wiring. As we discussed beforehand, he said he would be using RG-6 quad shielded, CAT-5e, and 14-gauge speaker wire.

Well, fast forward to day of pre-wire: RG-6 qs (check), CAT-5e (check), 16-gauge speaker wire (wait, hold up!). I didn't notice the difference until about 75% of the job was done. When I pointed it out to them, they said they didn't have any 14-gauge on the truck. Because of the mix-up, they discounted the price somewhat. BTW, the RG-6 and CAT-5e usage was in writing, but the speaker wire gauge was not specified.

On a related note, I just ordered some ceiling speakers. I am running a 2-channel system for now with Nordost cables with banana plug endings. The banana plugs will not fit into the spring clips of the ceiling speakers, so I swapped out to some really cheap (20-gauge?) wire I had from a boom box long ago. The speakers didn't sound bad at all with this setup. Hard to tell how much difference the wire made as opposed to the speakers. [No flaming!] The floorstanding speakers I use are Polk rt800i, and the ceiling speakers are the Polk rs80i, their in-ceiling counterparts.

On to the question: Am I going to be missing THAT much between 14-gauge and 16-gauge?

Anthony

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greywolf!

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Based on the chart, I'll be fine across the board. I'll be using 8ohm speakers everywhere except my home theater, where the speakers will be either 6ohm or 4ohm.

In the HT, only the back 4 surrounds are pre-wired, and even then the longest run is about 25-28 feet. The wire used is high-quality Belden 16-gauge, so I had no worries there. Good to know that at least in theory my setup is not lacking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.