AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Image Entertainment - 2010
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Kids

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: N/A
Starring: Debby Ryan, Jean-Luc Bilodeau, Anna Mae Routledge, Karissa Tynes, Kendall Cross, Patrick Gilmore, Cainan Wiebe
Directed by: Peter DeLuise
Music by: James Jandrisch
Written by: Annie DeYoung
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 16, 2010

"Everyone's sweet 16 is special, Abby's is Magical"

Film Synopsis:

Debby Ryan (Disney's The Suite Life on Deck) stars with Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Kyle XY) in this spellbinding comedy about what happens when your most outrageous wishescome outrageously true! Abby Jensen has been dreaming about her sweet 16 since she was a little girlbut it starts out anything but sweet. Then she receives a box of mysteriously magical birthday candles. And suddenly, Abby's every wish is instantly granted: the cherry-red sports car, the way-cool clothes, the uber-popularity at school. But when Abby makes a wish that turns her perfect new life totally upside down, she and her best friend Jay have just one chance to make things right - and to learn you have to be careful what you wish forreally, really careful!

My Take:

To be fair with my take on '16 Wishes' I had get myself into the mindset of a 12 year old girl. OK, I brought in a few ringers, my niece and her friend, a nine and ten year old. They both loved it.

Debby Ryan (Disney's The Suite Life on Deck) is the new 'star' Disney is pushing these days, in hopes of making the next Miley Cyrus. She is cute, competent and does a decent job as Abby, the birthday girl. When she gets a random box of candles, that each grant her one of 16 birthday wishes, she starts off with material items. First she wishes for a Cherry Red Mustang, then meets her rock star idol, and of course (insert typical conflict) uses wishes to best her rival, whom conveniently has the same birthday. As the wishes keep getting granted, things begin to go awry and the old "be careful what you wish for" mantra comes into play.

This is a made for the Disney Channel movie and it shows. Silly transitions, sub-par direction and lightning that makes an otherwise detailed Digitally HD filmed source have a case of the "wax face" syndrome. Beyond its look and feel, it is a fun tale with a message aimed at the unfortunately image and material obsessed tweens.

Even though not the most engaging and entertaining for adults, the 2 girls I was with loved it. It has a positive message of friendship, not growing up too fast and about not focusing on the superficial. '16 Wishes' doesn't break any new ground, nor is it trying to. It is cute, has some funny moments, is wholesome and definitely family friendly. Let the little ones watch it while you read some reviews

Parental Guide:

Rated G

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 78

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

'16 Wishes' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Image Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16.75 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.2 mbps.

'16 Wishes' is a sufficient and non-memorable presentation. Any faults I noticed I attribute to the source, not the transfer. Colors look natural, but get a bit funky on flesh-tones. At times it reveals super high detail, but then has issues with facial details being lost and looking waxy (due to lighting, I assume). Black levels are a weakness here, and thankfully there is not much in the way of dark scenes and colors are generally on the lighter 16 year old girlish side. The audio presentation is overall pleasing, handling the tennie-pop soundtrack quite well. Dialogue never has issues, and the over-all sound is crisp and clear. Surprisingly there were a few impressively effective uses of the surround channels, especially when a swarm of bees seemed to audibly fly around my room.

Bonus Features:

• Cast Interviews

• "A Wish Comes True Everyday" Music Video

• Trailer

Final Thoughts:

If you are reading this, most likely you are gauging '16 Wishes' for your children. It is good for whom its made for, kids under 16, and has a decent message with no real questionable content. The Blu-ray does the best it can with it's source, and is an above average Blu-ray release. Extras are lacking as we are just treated to two interviews and a music video. I say rent it and see if they love it first.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen

Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)

SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts