Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I was wondering. I'm new to the 16x9 format for DVD's and Projectors. I know that my DVD movies will convert to this format. I was wondering if anyone can answer what will this format do to my video widescreen films?

Here is my dilemma. I have approximately 250 video (majority of them are in Widescreen Format). Should I just count on view the screen at 4x3 or will the transfer occur for these video movies?

Can someone help me with this?

Alabama Smith

------------------

Jack D.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm a little confused by the question, but I'll take a stab and hopefully that will answer the question.

VHS has the worst quality of picture amoung ntsc sources. Letterboxed movies in VHS will have even less resolution. Whether it makes it unwatchable is purely subjective, but I usually watch my tapes on a small direct view.

Almost all widescreen vhs tapes are letterboxed and not the anamorphic widescreen of the better quality DVDs. Therefore how the vhs widescreen will be processed by the projector, is the same way a non-anamorphic/letterboxed DVD would be prcessed. There is no enhancement of the picture quality.

European posted this in the DVD hardware forum and I think this is a great explanation of widescreen:
http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

[This message has been edited by bluedevils (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Another reason I'm asking this question is based on the fact, when I go to purchase my projector and screen, do I want to purchase a 16x9 screen or a 4x3 screen? If I get the 16x9 screen (which is what my preference would be), when we watch a video movie or in letterbox or regular television, will the image be stretched or seem fuzzy and blurry? In other words take more away from the already inferior picture quality. I have a feeling I'm going to purchase a 4x3 screen and watch all the films (DVD and VHS) on that without using the 16x9 feature on the projector.

So I guess, is there a way to watch VHS tapes on 16x9 without sacrificing too much in picture quality?

Thanks

Alabama Smith

------------------

Jack D.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Alabama Smith,

With regard to whether to get a 4X3 or a 16X9 screen,

what type of material do you watch the most of - films

or TV shows, like sports events.

If you watch mostly films - get the 16X9 screen which is

appropriate for widescreen films - and for those occasional

times when you watch a 4X3 format source like a sports

event - then project the 4X3 image in the middle of your

16X9 screen.

If you watch mostly sports, or other 4X3 material - get a

4X3 screen, and when you occasionally watch a widescreen

film - view it as a letterboxed 4X3 image.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.