Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry, but that's 2 strikes in a row!

1. WD drives

2. MIRs

I'll wait for a good deal on Maxtor... thanks anyway compussa.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Officemax has an 80GB for $20 after rebates too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just received a Maxtor 120 from Office Depot that ends up $47.62 including tax, after $60 in rebates. Now to decide: WD 160 or Maxtor 120 or Hitachi 120. Pick two and comment! I'm leaning away from the 160 in the Replay 5040 but all advice welcomed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's interesting that on the mac forum that I frequent, the general sentiment that the drives from most to least desirable (based on reliability and noise) go something like: seagate, WD, Maxtor, Hitachi/IBM, with many people not liking WD especially due to noise, and Maxtor & Hitachi/IBM being panned for low reliability. However, everybody here seems to like Maxtor and WD, and to not like Seagate. Why is that?...different demands on the drive?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I like Maxtor because they are generally easy to get below my magic price point (.50cents/gig), I have never had a rebate hassle, and now that I own so many of them I like to keep the same drive type (Ultra 133, 8mb cache) for easy replacement. But like I said, I own a fair number of them :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Aren't the Hitachi deathstars still on the chopping block when it comes to them being functional in RTV 4k's and newer? Or did Hitachi make changes to the hardware that makes them compatible now?

I remember trying like hell to make an 80 & a 120gig (both IBMs) try to work in one of my 4k's! Then I found out from prominent members here that it just wouldn't work (incompatible)!

So I threw the 120 in an old showstopper and it worked great! The 80 currently lives in a DVA server & is also doing just fine. Curious that they work in my PC but not on my 4k's.

Anyone using a newer deathstar (from Hitachi) in a newer than 4k RTV?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hooked up a 120 Deskstar in a 5040 and it worked fine until I added a second drive - then my problems began. Still trying to resolve them. Will report on the Deskstar later after all gets running again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Maybe it was based on the model number then. XD models?? I am trying to remember back that far :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Subrec
Officemax has an 80GB for $20 after rebates too.
There were a total of 12 available in north atlanta...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.