Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new.

I've been studying the heck out of this forum. Thanks to all of you for your info and help. There is no better source for Theater A/V info on the net. NO BETTER. My gratitude to you all. You can best your local cinema easily with the info on this board, for what many people spend on theater tickets/gas/time/concessions in a 2 year period.

There are no places that I can find locally to see any projectors, so my choice is in your hands.

I know that I see rainbows. A friend of mine has a Yammy DLP-based projector that cost him $8 grand that he mail-orded, and I can see the rainbows when I move my eyes, and it gives me a headache. So LCD it is.

I want to use this thing for business as well as HT, so I'm leaning toward the Panny 75u, BUT, I want the BEST DVD picture above all else. I watch 75% 16:9 and 25% 4:3. In the next year, I think that the 4:3 percentage drops to 15%, except for business usage.

I've built an HTPC based on an 800Mhz Celeron, 256MB RAM, PC-PVR BT8x8 card w/ composite and SVideo from VHS and DirecTV, and Radeon VE 64MB video card, running PowerDVD, Powerstrip, and DScaler. I've build a parkland plastics screen (8' x 4.5').

For the $1600 that I have to spend ($1750 at the absolute most) what is the best out there? Can I just buy the Panny and still get the resolution of the Z1? I don't care about gray bars or light spill.

Thanks all, once again.

LaKidd

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You can't beat the Panasonic 75U- especially if you want to use it for business and 4:3 viewing. You will get better dvd and hdtv resolution with the 75U than the Z1. Panasonic's 3 year Panazip warrenty seems much better than Sanyo's- from what I read Panazip is much less hassle to the customer.

Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guy! I know that you are a big advocate of the 75u. Some people have said that the contrast is not good enough, leading to lack of picture depth. True? And, how does it's contrasy compare to the Sanyo

Also, how do I do 1:1 [email protected] 480p DVD with the Panny? Any Recommendations? Should I use Powerstrip or just Window's standard resolution settings at [email protected]?

Thanks again,

LaKidd

"The cypher goes THIS way".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,

Only one person replied, so I went with the suggestion. I ordered a Panny 75u for less than 1600US!

I'll post my thoughts when I get it and give it a good thrashing.

LaKidd

"Be a good lil' doobie"

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Cool..........you'll like it. I am in the process of setting up an HTPC- I am just using the windows default 1024 x 768 resolution at 60hz. I don't find the HTPC that much better than my Iscan Ultra, but I'm trying an HTPC becuase of the new WM9 HD dvd's coming out and the ability to display trailers and sound demo's before a movie starts.

I highly recommend the chief mount for the 75U and a Dalite High Power Model B screen. Any questions- feel freem to PM me or mail me:

[email protected]

Good Luck,

Scott

·
Registered
388 Posts
Is the internal scaler in the 75u any good with 480p input from a progressive scan DVD player, or do you need an outboard scaler + deinterlacer?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The scaler is excellent IMHO. The deinteralcer is OK, but the projector does a real good job of scaling DVD to 1024 x 768. A HTPC does a little better job, but not much. My Iscan Ultra and $75.00 Toshiba interlaced dvd player looks to be about 95% of the quality of an HTPC. The Iscan Ultra has some fine detail and edge enhancement settings that seem to really help. The only reason I am using a pc is to set up trailers and intros to play before a movie that I can use when we have family and friends over for a big movie night. I'll be using my Iscan most of the time though. Although if the new version of Theatertek allows trailers, I may reconsider. Zoomplayer is hard to configure.

Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott,

Thanks for all of your input. You've been a big help.

Did I read you correctly when you say that an HTPC is only a little better than using the Component outs of a DVD player? Are we talking a Progressive DVD player or a non-progressive one? It would be so much easier to not HAVE to use the HTPC, but still get good picture quality. Also, what DVD player are you recommending to use with the Panny?

Thanks,

LaKidd

"That's my pleasure."

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I know this is overkill- but we are talking a hobby here. I use an HTPC, a Misubishi 6030 progressive dvd player (a Toshiba 3800 clone) and a Toshiba 2900 interlaced dvd player with a DVDO Iscan Ultra. I find the HTPC gives a little better picture, but is a bit more hassle, than either my progressive dvd or interlaced dvd with the Iscan. I already had the Mitsubishi dvd player, but bought the Iscan to use with a VCR and Satellite receiver. I just bought a cheap Toshiba dvd player to compare it to the progessive dvd and there is hardly a difference between the Iscan's progressive output and the Mitsubishi dvd.

So in reality, you are still going to get a good picture from a progressive dvd player. I don't find that the Iscan Ultra or the HTPC is significantly better than the progressive output of my dvd player. Toshiba has a new progressive dvd player for $99.00 at Best Buy. If this player still uses the Zoran chip that was in last year's models and in the Mitsubishi players, I would think it would be a good buy. The updated Zoran chips are supposed to be better and eliminate the chroma bug- although I don't see the chroma bug with my current player. I assume the new models use the updated Zoran chip.

Like I said, if it wasn't for the new HD WM9 dvd's coming out and the ability to play trailers, I wouldn't even bother with a HTPC.

Too bad you don't live near me. I'd be happy to show you so you can compare.

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.