AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT pro audio (or EP2500).

I'm looking to feed four subs with about 400+ watts each. Each sub has dual 8ohm voicecoils.

I currently have an EP2500 powering things. But I've gotten tired of it's crudeness. The pops during powerdown have gotten annoying now that they sound so real, like someone knocking at my door. I swear I look at my door every time I power off the amp. I can't stop doing it.

Also, I'd like to get away from pro audio stuff.

I'm probably just daydreaming here and won't ever make the move away from the EP2500. But just out of curiosity, what is the budget home audio version of the EP2500? I know it'll cost more, but how much more?

edit:

I forgot to mention that I later found I had mis-wired the speakers against what I'd set the amp for. I'd set the jumpers for bridged, but I'd wired the speakers for stereo. I wired it properly and no longer have the pop at turn-off.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/16927447

I'm looking to feed four subs with about 400+ watts each. Each sub has dual 8ohm voicecoils.

I currently have an EP2500 powering things. But I've gotten tired of it's crudeness. The pops during powerdown have gotten annoying now that they sound so real, like someone knocking at my door. I swear I look at my door every time I power off the amp. I can't stop doing it.

I'm probably just daydreaming here and won't ever make the move away from the EP2500. But just out of curiosity, what is the budget home audio version of the EP2500? I know it'll cost more, but how much more?

in case you aren't aware, there are amps that don't "pop" when turned on/off.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj6474 /forum/post/16927597

I would say wattage is a non issue. I would a high current class A. Like a Threshold, Classe, or Van ALstine. Higher wattage doesnt mean higher output.

You are misinformed.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/16927447

None of my seven pro amps "pop" on power down, but two of my non-pro amps do.

Are you truly shutting off the amps first, or are you shutting down the system and / or some other components first?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Personally, I'd probably look for a pair of big used stereo amps on Audiogon if you're going to do it, rather than a multichannel amp.

There might be some of the bigger Adcom, Parasound, or Rotel, et al, that could deliver close to that kind of power at (relatively) reasonable prices.

There are some bigger "high-end" amps that do well with lower impedances. I have a Levinson No.23 that would deliver what you want, but they're not inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Not to get away from your request, but to further validate what others have said I have never had the issues you described. I have a Crown K2, QSC PLX 3402, Face 1200 and 700. No popping from any whether running my mains or subwoofer duty.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys don't have to keep saying "mine doesn't pop". Everyone knows they don't all pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/16929333

Personally, I'd probably look for a pair of big used stereo amps on Audiogon if you're going to do it, rather than a multichannel amp.

There might be some of the bigger Adcom, Parasound, or Rotel, et al, that could deliver close to that kind of power at (relatively) reasonable prices.

There are some bigger "high-end" amps that do well with lower impedances. I have a Levinson No.23 that would deliver what you want, but they're not inexpensive.

Yeah, a pair of two-channel amps definitely works. I think transient response is a spec to watch out for, or is that just marketing?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
If you can find headroom specs, then sure, I'd consider that. Don't seem to see it much around anymore, afaik.

To me, one of the biggest indicators, is how the power output progresses as the impedance drops. The closer to the theoretical "doubling down" one gets, should suggest the more robust amp.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj6474 /forum/post/16930083

I doubt it. There is less clipping, better sound wave, hence more clean headroom.

Class A for sub duty would be the worst case scenario for efficiency and a lot of watts would not make it to the call of duty. The improved sound wave and more clean headroom would be easier to discern higher up in frequency. Class A has its place I just don't think it would be cost effective for a subwoofer application.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj6474 /forum/post/16930083

I doubt it. There is less clipping, better sound wave, hence more clean headroom.

Yes, unfortunately, you are caught up in the "high current" urban legends.

I own a Levinson amp...the type of amp you're talking about, and, I own several pro amps.

Rest assured, the pro amps have more clean headroom than the Levinson because they are capable of delivering more watts prior to clipping (and, FWIW, have better distortion specs too...not that it's enough to matter either way).

Doesn't mean the Levinson is a bad amp, in fact, just the opposite. It's a very good amp, it just doesn't produce near as much power, and power is what makes speakers work.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/16932534

Yes, unfortunately, you are caught up in the "high current" urban legends.

I own a Levinson amp...the type of amp you're talking about, and, I own several pro amps.

Rest assured, the pro amps have more clean headroom than the Levinson because they are capable of delivering more watts prior to clipping (and, FWIW, have better distortion specs too...not that it's enough to matter either way).

Doesn't mean the Levinson is a bad amp, in fact, just the opposite. It's a very good amp, it just doesn't produce near as much power, and power is what makes speakers work.

I will put my Van Alstin 220hc up against any ep2500. I never have to raise my gains for to drive subwoofers.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Van Alstine makes fine amps. But if you're going head to head in a subwoofer crank fest with that amp vs a EP2500 you will lose.

That you don't have to turn up gain adjustment is irrelevant.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, it's merely that I don't agree with that you've said.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.