AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a good 20" or larger 1600x1200 (UXGA) LCD monitor for my CAD hobby, and I figured you flat panel experts would have LOTS of opinions on this subject. :)

The monitor needs to have superior contrast, color accuracy, and brightness uniformity (I have heard horror stories about uneven backlights) and response times of 25 ns or faster. This monitor will not be used for home theater or TV watching, so speakers, TV inputs, etc. mean nothing to me, but at least one DVI input is a must. Price is no object, but under $1,500 would be nice (Remember, no retail prices or where you bought! We like to keep Alan happy. :) )

Thanks... let 'er rip!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been very happy with 2 Planar PX212M monitors connected to an FX1100 via DVI running a 3200x1200 desktop with XP SP2. I develop software for clinical MRI imaging, and these monitors do a very respectable job for day-to-day work. The quoted contrast ratio of 500:1 seems about right, colors are nice and rich, backlighting is pretty even (compared to a couple of Viewsonic 21" FPs I used to use), and there is a reasonable set of controls available via the OSD control

They're not as nice as medical grade LCD or CRT monitors, but at one-tenth the cost, they do nicely.

PM me if you have any specific questions I can answer.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You should check out Eizo .

The Eizo panels are expensive, but they are high quality, and have a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by chmilar
You should check out Eizo .

The Eizo panels are expensive, but they are high quality, and have a 5 year warranty.
Do you own one of their UXGA+ monitors? I have read reviews that sing their praises and reviews that complained about color accuracy at low brightness levels. And yes, they ARE expensive. I don't mind paying for quality, but if I'm going to pay $1,600+ for a UXGA monitor I would think that reviews would be more uniformly positive, if not gushing.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tetra-pro
I've been very happy with 2 Planar PX212M monitors connected to an FX1100 via DVI running a 3200x1200 desktop with XP SP2. I develop software for clinical MRI imaging, and these monitors do a very respectable job for day-to-day work. The quoted contrast ratio of 500:1 seems about right, colors are nice and rich, backlighting is pretty even (compared to a couple of Viewsonic 21" FPs I used to use), and there is a reasonable set of controls available via the OSD control

They're not as nice as medical grade LCD or CRT monitors, but at one-tenth the cost, they do nicely.

PM me if you have any specific questions I can answer.
C|Net gave the PX212M a pretty good review (8.0 out of 10), but I was concerned about the hue shifting in whites that their reviewer mentioned... have you noticed anything like that in your day-to-day use?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I use a Samsung SyncMaster 213T LCD at 1600x1200 with a DVI connector and am very satisfied with it. It has a spec response time of 25 msec, contrast ratio of 500:1 and can now be found for under $1K. Never had a problem with uneven backlighting with it. But I use it as a computer monitor for sw development, surfing the net, spreadsheets, and so on as opposed to playing a lot of video material or artwork. Still, you may want to consider it.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^ Thanks!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I just have a small Eizo that I use on a "secondary" computer. A friend uses two L675's for programming work, and they are nicest-looking LCD's I have seen.

However, I have been follow LCD computer monitors for some time, because I am interested in getting an LCD to replace a CRT for Photoshop work, where color accuracy is the most important factor.

How do Eizos rate in color accuracy?

It is safe to say that the ColorEdge models are the most color accurate LCD panels available at the moment. The ColorEdge models are very expensive. The accuracy in the low black areas is not as good as a CRT, but it is much better than other LCD's.

The ColorEdge models are based on other Eizo chassis. For instance, the CG21 is based on the L985EX. What is the difference? The electronics driving the panel are different in the CG21, and Eizo probably "hand picks" the best LCD modules and backlights for the ColorEdge.

If you do not need exact color calibration, the L885 or L985EX are suitable, and still probably more accurate than other LCD's.

As far as my quest for a Photoshop-worthy LCD panel goes: the CG21 is too expensive, and the only other contender, Apple's Aluminum 23" cinema display, has problems with uneven colors across the backlight (there are threads on Apple's support forums regarding this).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check out the Dell 2001FP. Recently Dell has been selling them for $609 with a coupon code. At that price, they cannot be beat! I have two of the older 2000FPs with DVI connection to a GeForce4 graphics card and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans
C|Net gave the PX212M a pretty good review (8.0 out of 10), but I was concerned about the hue shifting in whites that their reviewer mentioned... have you noticed anything like that in your day-to-day use?
No, I haven't. But then again, I haven't been looking for it either. The whites on my units are uniform and about as white as a non-medical-grade LCD FP gets.

The biggest problem I've had is trying to get the two units I use exactly color matched at all grey levels. I'm not too worried about the exact color temperature - close to D6500 is good enough. I'm more concerned in this case with getting both to look the same. They're pretty close OOB, but since I don't have any calibration equipment, it's been tough to do this purely through eyeballing. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks chmilar. Since this monitor is for hobbyist CAD work, I just don't think I can bring myself to spend that much money (yeah, I know I said price is no object but I am a cheap SOB when you get down to the brass tacks).

tetra-pro, I'm ramping up to UXGA so that I don't have to have two side-by-side displays, so matching the color temperature of one monitor to another isn't really a consideration for me. Thanks very much for the feedback.

lhasiuk, the Dell 2001FP is very tempting, especially with their current price cut, free ground shipping, and their 30-day no-questions-asked return policy, which gives me a little more peace of mind about buying an LCD monitor sight-unseen. I am concerned by some reviews which have complained about problems with uneven backlighting and color uniformity... notice anything like that with your monitor?

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, but I have the older generation 2000FP. The only problems with mine are one dead pixel on each, which I ignored since my work paid for them. My friend has a 2001FP and is very happy with it.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^ OK then, thanks!

Anyone else care to chime in? I have to say that the Dell 2001FP is in the lead right now.

·
Registered
787 Posts
 anands review

another vote for 2001fp.

Gaming at 1600x1200 is amazing.

When i first got it, i did the once over to look for dead pixels and such. Didnt notice any uneven brightness or any other defects.

Im sure there are better "professional" 20 in panels out there, but i think the dell lcd should handle cad work just fine.

609 for that guy is great, I bought it at 719 and i have no regrets.

K

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another vote for the 2001FP... OK, thanks!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi,

I labored a long time over what to buy and finally settled on a HP L2335.

I think it is great! It is 1920x1200 native but 1600x1200 is just as good.

Plus the 23" is great!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I decided to take a chance on the Dell 2001FP, figuring that if I didn't like it I could return it. I appreciate the comments and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Got one with a Dell XPS Gen 3 at 40% off 2 weeks ago. Arrived last Thursday.

For HD 1080i and 720i/p viewing, the 2001FP is excellent.

Took a screen shot of a 1920x1200 recorded HD picture. The 2001FP is obviously scaling it down to fit the 1600x1200 screen. As you can see, it's doing a very good job.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/paulchiu/imag...20CRW_2628.jpg

I'd say the HD image is as fine as my larger HP L2335 23" LCD's, just smaller.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/paulchiu/imag...20CRW_2625.jpg

For computer work. the 2001FP cannot be beat !

Another GREAT feature is the USB 2 hub built into the 2001FP on its side and back. No more reaching down or away to the computer to connect cameras, camcorders, or game controllers!

Paul

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, my 2001FP arrived today, which is semi-remarkable because I ordered it Wednesday evening and it didn't ship until Friday morning... and I didn't even pay for it to be FedEx-ed! (I used their free ground shipping offer. Guess it pays to live close to their Pennsylvania distribution center!)

I am happy to report that the display arrived in perfect condition with no dead or misfiring pixels *at all* in any of the modes I tested. The picture is razor-sharp and contrast is remarkably good for an LCD.

A few random observations:
  • The monitor would not sync up to my GeForce FX 5900XT card at 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz, even though that is the native resolution and recommended refresh rate for the 2001FP. After a bit of trial and error I determined that the GeForce was actually sending out 60 Hz as 60.013 Hz, which the Dell 2001FP was interpreting as out of its scan bandwidth. Argh!! Fortunately, I was able to quickly figure out what was going on and--using the Advanced Timing feature of the 5900XT--I was able to assign a custom refresh rate of 58.936 Hz for 1600x1200, which the 2001FP liked just fine.
  • You cannot use the monitor controls to adjust its contrast in DVI-D mode. This is actually not a problem for me, since the 5900XT can control the contrast in the card. The 2001FP's contrast actually is almost spot-on anyway; only very slight contrast and gamma adjustments were need to optimize the display. Just remember that if you're really picky about contrast and gamma and you want to use the 2001FP's DVI-D input, be sure that your card can adjust the settings, because you won't be able to fiddle with them on the monitor.

Overall I would have to say that I am (so far) a very satisfied customer. The Dell 2001FP is a very good LCD monitor, and an excellent monitor for its price range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.