AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that if you use a DTC100 with the 169Time modification, it is possible to use the firewire output to hook to a HTPC with firewire, and that you can also record the output from the DTC100 (either OTA or satellite) as files on an HTPC harddrive for later playback.

However, it appears that if you do this, the DTC100 will appear to the HTPC over firewire as a "VCR" rather than as a "Tuner", meaning that you can't issue commands to the DTC100 like "change the channel" from the HTPC.

Does anyone know why this restriction exists? is it

a) no one has taken the time to write the proper drivers/filters for the HTPC to recognize that the DTC100 is a tuner

b) the firmware on the 169Time mod dosn't know how to present itself over firewire as a tuner, but this could be fixed with a new version of the firmware

or

c) the 169Time mod is electrically connected to the DTC100 in such a way that it can intercept the video stream but has no electrical connection to the part of the DTC100 that controls the tuner functions, so no amount of software/firmware can overcome this limitation.

I'm thinking about getting the 169Time Mod myself, but I really want to be able to use titantv to schedule recordings and make it perform similar to a PVR. if the reason that tuner control isn't available is option c) above, I'm wondering if it would be feaible to add a IR blaster via serial to the HTPC and then write a driver/filter that would encapsulate the video stream from firewire but use the IR blaster to issue commands to the DTC100 to change channel, etc. This is obviously not as good as being able to do tuner control via firewire, but it might be "good enough".

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well, for one, XP only comes with 'VCR' DVHS drivers, no tuner drivers exist. So you can use the 169Time with HTPC today, without 169Time having to write an XP driver. So my guess it's a combination of a) and b)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Well, for one, XP only comes with 'VCR' DVHS drivers, no tuner drivers exist. So you can use the 169Time with HTPC today, without 169Time having to write an XP driver. So my guess it's a combination of a) and b)
If that's true, that would be awesome. Per Dave's suggestion, I sent mail to Richard asking him. If all that needs to be done is to write a filter for XP, I'm willing to tackle that task. I'm sure there's a good filter sample in MSDN that can be used as a template....

I'll reply back to the board if Richard responds to my email...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Rick (the DVHSTool author) is already looking into it. You might want to PM him to see where he is in his effort.

Do you have any experience writing kernel mode device drivers in the WDM model?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Richard would love to get all the help in this area as possible. He does not have the knowledge but can make any tweaks to the 169time f/w if needed.

dave

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Susan" replied to my email to [email protected]

Here's the relevant part of the email:

Quote:
The HDVR firewire adapter that we make for the DTC100 does include

hardware to control the DTC100's functions, though there is no driver for the PC to use this yet.
She also mentioned that they're working with an independent developer for Windows drivers to enable this...

So it looks like there's hope. I'm putting in my order tonight....

·
Registered
888 Posts
I thought I saw Dave mention something about talking to the 169time from linux, what software is available to do that? I'd much rather do my recording and stuff through linux given how easy it is to access remotely compared to a gui like on windows.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The current avx-1 is driven by linux. 169time had been talking to Dan about putting a PVR solution together, but its not clear things will work out.

I have been able to use a version of the s/w in the past that allowed me to store the data on the hard disc, rather than the dvhs tape. I then used an XP machine to see the data on the linux disc, and play with the XP s/w folks are using.

The techincal stuff is there from 169time, its just getting the right person to work with them under either OS to make more of these options possible to ship to customers.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.