AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a 169time modded DTC100, but I'm afraid that DirecTV might kick in some kind of HDCP soon and then it would be useless.

What is the current word on if and when this is going to happen. Do I probably have at least a year or two of use to look forward to?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The unit would not be useless if that ever happens. It will still record OTA, and from what I read on these forums the 169time mod is the most reliable OTA STB.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Hey kid- in the words of Tony Soprano, " Don't worry about it!"

The word from DirecTV regarding anything is the same as it always has been. They do not discuss any plans for future security measures until they officially announce them. Which means that if they will do anything you will read about it in the press first. In any case, should something like 5C be added to the program content from DirecTV on, say HBOHD or DTV PPVHD, it will simply disable the systems ability to record that particular program, even if it is copy once. This has been discussed many times in these threads. It will not disable the system permanently.

Will DirecTV shut down the HDVR from 169Time? Heck they fried my DTC-100 with an electronic lobotomy once so I think they could do the same but will they? Get real. They have way too many other more serious security issues than to be spending any amount of time at all on less than 30 AVX users (my guess) in the country. Just a reality check for you, Chris. Like I said, Don't worry about it!

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I am no fan of the DTC-100, but, from first hand knowledge, it is more reliable than the 165.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.