AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"One of the largest stumbling blocks to the transition to Digital Television has been the lack of solutions for time-shifting and archiving of premium high definition content.

Indeed, many attribute the very slow sales to date of HDTV set-top boxes (STBs) to the fact that manufacturers have neglected to provide the necessary interface to allow recording and archiving of HDTV content. The principle of "Consumer Fair Use Rights" for home recording and archiving of broadcast content has been well established since the Betamax Supreme Court decision of 1983.

One small company that has been quietly addressing this problem is 169Time.

In June of 2002 169Time released the HDVR and AVX-1 package for recording HDNet and other premium HDTV content from DirecTV.

The HDVR is a small add-on board for the DTC-100 set-top box (STB) which allows authorized HDTV programming to be output via an IEEE1394 firewire connection to a D-VHS VCR for true digital high definition recording.

The AVX-1 is a small linux based computer which interfaces via firewire to both the 169time DTC-100 and a D-VHS VCR. Without the AVX-1 only OTA signals can be recorded on to D-VHS.

The AVX-1 massages the DTC-100's firewire bitstream from HDNet and other HD premium services to also allow recording to D-VHS. A review of this product can be found in the inaugural issue of HDTV ETC.

Recently 169Time released a long awaited software revision which has rendered the system extremely reliable and much easier to use.

Now HDTV ETC has learned that 169Time will soon be offering the HDVR/AVX-1 package to the owners of many other satellite and cable set-top boxes.

Subscribers to the HDTV services of DISH Network including Discovery HD Theater use the DISH 6000 STB.

This STB is also used by HDTV subsribers to ExpressVu DBS of Canada.

The Motorola HDD200 is an HDTV decoder for many US and Canadian cable TV systems. It is also used by StarChoice Canada DBS and 4DTV C-Band BUD satellite subscibers.

169Time will be offering their HDVR package to owners of both of these STBs.

While pricing has not yet been finalized, expect to pay less than $1000 for a complete upgrade package including professional installation of the HDVR board into an existing STB.

Then just add a D-VHS VCR and gain the ability to timeshift HDTV just as we have done with analog NTSC broadcasts for over 20 years.

Further details can be found at the 169Time website at www.169time.com. "

·
Registered
564 Posts
what is the time frame on the 6000 dave? Do you care to guess?

One month, three months, or shorter?

looks like it can be ordered now, but are they ready to install and send them back? I might have to hold on to my 6000 :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The 6000 is ready TODAY!!! Again, I tested with my existing B3 avx-1, and worked like a champ.

THe HD200 is also ready TODAY.

Dave

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ohh NO, :)

Now I'm very tempeted to to get one. Guess its time to throw all the stuff

I'm not using on Ebay. Anyone want a great 3 year old kid, I can post pictures. ;)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hye, I finally am getting 169time to not announce a new product unless they are ready to actually ship it. Now, where is that 921?

I have to admit, the quality of discovery on the 6000 blew away most other HD stuff I have seen.

Dave

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
Hye, I finally am getting 169time to not announce a new product unless they are ready to actually ship it. Now, where is that 921?

Dave
Since you brought up the 921, let me say that I'd much rather wait for the 921. With the 921 I can time shift to a hard disk, archive to tape, and only have a single box. Can the 169 set up a timed recording? I certainly hope it can or else it loses a great deal of the functionality it should have.

I imagine there are some people who have a very demanding need or desire to record Dish now. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine why someone wouldn't wait for the 921.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Can the 169time do a timed recording.

Lets see, for the dtc100 and OTA, 100% firewire.

For avx-1 and dtc100, one can either unsolder a wire in the dtc100 and use the dtc100 dongle to control the VCR. Or, use a handheld timer like I do for the VCR.

For the Dish6000, one can use the standard timer thats in the dish6000 to control the VCR.

169time product with hard discs, etc. well, being worked on.

Why not wait for the 921, you said it, wait, and wait, and ......

Dave

·
Registered
820 Posts
Why release a solution for HD200, when most cable companies won't allow you to tamper with their hardware? Can an HD200 be bought, altered, and used seemlessly without needing cable co. authorization? Why would any cable company authorize a personally owned peice of hardware that would be used to copy their premium content?

Sorry, just some questions I have. Are there any cable companies that would actually do it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cannot speak for cable companies but the Motorola

HDD-200 or HDD-201 is also used by Starchoice and

4DTV receivers for BUD C-band satellite reception.. Since Motorola has stated that there will be no upgrades to the HDD-200, the 169time solution is

the only one available for us BUD users to record

HD content. I for one will be sending in my unit for

the upgrade right away.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Same here.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Dave,

Please look at my posts and followups on
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Were those in all likelihood recorded via a 5000 or not?

Does the new 6000 169time mod record HBO without problems? Any other satellite HD channels that it has problems with?

When will the AVX1 6000 mod support the HD 1000's?

Thanks

Larry

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Larry, I dont understand your first question. The avx-1 is not supported today with PC's. Does that mean some creative folks cant get it to work?

Well, Richard figured out how to get Direct TV when no one else can.

What do you define as problems. As Don as posted, and Jeff, they are getting 99.99%. The last little is digital in nature, and probably a little more tweaking of the s/w in the future.

On the 6000 I recorded HBO, CBS, a PPV and Discovery. They were all perfect to my standards, 99.99%.

I have no idea about the HD1000? I wouldnt recommend Richard spending time on it now since there are other things he is working on that have larger market share. At the price of the JVC or Mits unit, you should just buy a new one. I would never go back to the HD1000. (Just my opinion)

Dave

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Dave

"Larry, I dont understand your first question. The avx-1 is not supported today with PC's. Does that mean some creative folks cant get it to work?

Well, Richard figured out how to get Direct TV when no one else can."

I never mentioned anything about PC interface. I only was speaking about playback of tapes through a PC.

"What do you define as problems. As Don as posted, and Jeff, they are getting 99.99%. The last little is digital in nature, and probably a little more tweaking of the s/w in the future."

By problems I mean does it record HBO as well as your dish 5000 setup since Jamoka quoted you saying in the past recording from HBO was an "unsupported feature" and you had actually done your HBO recodings using a Dish 5000 setup. Is that true? Does the 6000 setup record equally as well for you on HBO?

I asked about the HD 1000's as I have 2 of them which up to this point have been much more reliable than the JVC HD30000. If you are speaking from a marketing perspective only then I might agree with you depending on how many people only record using their older HD 1000's.

The question was if and when he might develop a HD1000 interface.

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions.

If it works as "advertised" then I'm hot for a setup.

Larry

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Larry, lets see.

I would put the quality of the dish 5000 HBO, SHO at 99.9999999%

The avx-1 solution is 99.99% with B3. With B2, for some it was 0%, for others, it was 95%.

Again, 169time would probably say yes, anything may or could be done in the future. But to be honest, I wouldnt hold my breath for HD1000 support with the avx-1.

So, I have no question it works as I have advertised as I have tried to describe it.

Any others with first hand experience has opinions?

Dave

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Just to clarify with the 6000 mod, will I be able to record Discovery HD and other things that come off the 8psk module in the future?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I was able to record discover HD now. I would assume anything added in HD, the solution will be able to record.

Dave

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.