AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the suggestion of AVS Member Videohot, I assembled this poll to measure the public opinion on owner satisfaction and mindset of those familiar with the product designed to record HDTV from DBS channels.

For the purpose of this poll, the "169Time System" is defined as only the system used for recording DBS HDTV channels. OTA recording use is not covered in this poll.

It is not possible to cover every possible situation so, please select the most appropriate choice.

I have not discussed the content of this poll before posting with 169Time, Richard Adams, the engineer behind the product, nor any other forum member including Videohot who originally suggested the idea of it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I thought I might "add" myself to the poll.

I only have the 169Time system(with AVX) for recording C-Band (BUD) HDTV and it has worked well enough for my satisfaction. .

Ray :)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Don,

I'm not exactly sure how you define "satisfaction" here, but I chose #1 because I am satisfied enough that I am glad I bought it and wouldn't return it. However, I do want it to work better and would like to see it be compatible with the T165 and Sonic decoders. I ended up buying a Dish 5000+modulator solution also and just got a T165 on Friday. I watched "Awakenings" from my Dish solution and it was great to watch something without any glitches. I'm looking forward to being able to show stuff to guests (other than D-Theater or DVDs) where I won't really have to worry about whether it will have glitches. I hate that feeling of sitting there waiting for things to lockup when people are over.

I was able to tape the IMAX films "Amazing Caves" and "Super Speedway" in HD with my DirecTV solution and being able to show those 2 alone to guests is worth a big chunk of what I paid for the 169time stuff, to me. And they didn't have any glitches. I showed "Super Speedway" on an outdoor screen at a party the other night and people were blown away.

--Darin

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
FYI, it is looking like folks are having very very good results with the computer a4 s/w. I think 169time will be releasing anytime if not already. You can also build your own avx-1 now.

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darin raises a valid point-

How does one determine if they are satisfied or not?

I would say:

If you bought the system and use it and watch the results of your recordings, you are generally satisfied, even though you may have some minor annoyances that prevent you from stating your 169Time system is perfect! Do I need to define "perfect for you?" You may still hope for improvements in a striving for perfection, but you are generally satisfied with your 169Time system the way it works now.

If on the other hand, you bought the system and have been so disappointed in it that you don't want to bother using it anymore because it is just too much trouble or your results are so disappointing that you just shut off the playback and go watch or do something else; then you can be said to be "not satisfied" Most likely you would jump at the chance to get rid of it and get your money back.

Does that help, Darin?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Does that help, Darin?
Sounds good to me.

Dave,

I have some questions about the A4 software, but I'll ask them in the 169time thread.

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Don,

I think the wording of the questions could cause the results of the poll to be skewed. The only choice for someone who is less than satisfied to pick is the "never worked right for my satisfaction". There are probably very few people for whom the product NEVER worked right. A more balanced way might be to choose between "overall I'm satisfied with the 169time product" or "overall I'm dis-satisfied with the 169time product".

Jay

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay- I don't understand what is meant by "Overall"

Hey, just kidding! :)

Wording of ALL polls can cause the results to be skewed. There is no perfect wording. The trick is proving the results were skewed by the wording. So how is that done? By conducting another poll of the same sample set using different wording and producing different results, different enough that is beyond a margin of error.

In fact, I know that some who will vote here will vote based on emotional reaction to people associated with 169Time and not the system itself.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
Wording of ALL polls can cause the results to be skewed. There is no perfect wording.
My only point was that if someone who is dis-satisfied has to choose "NEVER works right" then a satisfied user should have to pick "ALWAYS works right". Based on reading the posts in this forum my opinion is that there are a large number (maybe even the majority) of 169time owners for which the product works to their satisfaction SOMETIMES. The results of the poll will (hopefully) indicate whether or not working "sometimes" is good enough to be satisfied.

Jay

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too have the AVX-1 for C-Band only and am very

satisfied with it

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Don, I am not aware of anything I am "dissatisfied with" that I dont try to get my money back. For me, this would be the bottom line. If you have kept, from what this stuff costs, or you sent it back for you money back are the only two factual pieces of data that count in my book.

Dave

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
You can also build your own avx-1 now.
Dave,

How can I build my own AVX-1 now? Please elaborate on the requirements. I have a bunch of old spare PC parts collecting dust.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
65 52 136 24 88 83 99 2 6 1 101

So what is the next number in this sequence?

There are those who will figure it out quickly and issue the correct answer, others who will attempt to analyze ad nauseum, and many who will just wait for someone to give them the correct answer because they will never figure it out.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired
Dave,

How can I build my own AVX-1 now? Please elaborate on the requirements. I have a bunch of old spare PC parts collecting dust.
Here you go my man

http://www.169time.com/index.html#ubavx1

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Am I alone in waiting to see what the big companies finally actually offer later this year as far as HD PVR goes? It also fits in with my home theater time-line and finances; if I was in more of a rush I'd have probably gone 169time by now.

So, I voted "will never buy" but that is only because it was the closest choice to what I will actually do: I'll buy the 169time stuff only if the powers that be don't allow me built-in, reasonable, personal use of recorded HD signals that I will duly pay for starting this winter.

Dan

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Dan, previous threads said the stuff would be out in spring, then summer, now fall, and I have read winter. Oh well, how are folks that have the 169time stuff enjoying your growing library of HD tapes? ;)

Dave

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drapp1952
I'll buy the 169time stuff only if the powers that be don't allow me built-in, reasonable, personal use of recorded HD signals that I will duly pay for starting this winter.
It isn't clear if your requirements here include being able to copy things instead of deleting them after 20 hours of recordings, but it seems to imply that. If so, I don't think anyone can say when the firewire on the 921 will be enabled. Maybe you can swap different hard drives in, but I haven't heard anything on that one. If not, maybe the 169time will end up being a good choice for you.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
The wife and I watched THE TUXEDO Saturday evening. Great PQ and DD audio. 3 or 4 minor glitches. MITS VCR to MITS RP.

When some better way to record HD comes along I will buy it.

What else is there to say?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.