AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have read about so many problems with the 169time product on this forum I just wanted to say the system I have is completely problem free.

I did a lot of reading about it before I bought and fully expected to live with less than perfect recordings. Well, I can honestly say I have recorded 4 movies up to this point with my avx1 and watched them all the way through with 0 problems.

I know people usually post in order to solve a problem but if you do the searches for 169time it looks like it doesn't work at all!! Just wanted to be a fresh voice.

Clay

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
Clay- There are a myriad of hardware and software versions people are using and the 169Time stuff has been around for 2 years (about 18 months on sat recording. During that time the stuff has improved and the latest mix is also doing quite well for me too. But not 100%. I would give it a 98% success rate right now and that is with my best problem free system. The JVC 40K is less at about 80-85% producing great recordings. This is as opposed to the early days when the 169Time system produced lots of issues and was extremely difficult to use. Things improve with time.

Have fun with your system and record lots of stuff!

·
Registered
867 Posts
It's good to see more people having good luck with this. Richard has made allot of improvements over the past 2 years. Two improvement still needed and I think are a must is:

1) Decoder compatibility. So we can play the tapes on other decoders and also use PC hardware decoders. I think Richard is working on this one now.

2) Use of internal firewire timer recordings. The IR timer works OK however the STB internal timer via firewire would be a better solution. This one I consider not that important however would be nice.

I agree with you Don. I am getting perfect recordings as long as I playback using the JVC decoder. I would give the 169Time a 90%. After the decoder compatibility fix a 97%. After timer recording fix a 99%

Anyone else have any ideas for improvements?

In a couple weeks this will be the ONLY solution for recording Satellite via Firewire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jrichards:

I am a newbie to all of this, but I noticed if I downloaded AVX1 recordings to the PC it wouldnt play on anything. Are you saying the recorded tapes from the AVX1 will also not play on other D-VHS machines? Will it will only play on my specific JVC or it will not play on other brands of D-VHS players? I can see how that would be a problem for some.

I agree the firewire recordings would make it easier but the IR timer is working without a hitch.

Clay

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I too made the plunge...got the Toshiba DST-3000 from 169time and built my own AVX-1. I have had nothing but great luck! I maybe get one small glitch in a 2 hour movie, but I am using S-VHS tapes and the hits are no more than 1 second long.

All and all I am very happy with the results. I do use the 30K and I imagine this is why my results are so good.

I thought I would go this route instead of the HD TiVo...but I couldn't help myself, and put myself down for the HD Tivo preorder. I figure the 2 systems each serve their own purpose and I will put them both to good use!

EJ

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
EJ- Now that I have the 921 working, I find it so much easier to record all my time shifting that way. Just scan ahead in the guide to the program of the future, select it and Done! Since Saturday I have not missed a single recording. It records it whether the receiver is on or off. If you are watching another channel at the time, You get this little Clock icon on the screen to warn you that a recording on the other tuner is about to fire off. OTA channels are still quite buggy though so I can't do timer recordings yet with them. It appears that is an issue with our local stations who don't send standard PSIP so the 921 can't time those programs. You have to record them Live. I'm sure this would bother the Tivo as well since I understand that TIVO needs info from the station to fire off a timer too. I have played back half of all my recordings and they seem to be perfect except in the case of when I recorded two movies from the two tuners at once. The picture pixelated about as often as my JVC recording off the DTC-100/HDVR. I think two programs at once is better suited for the SD channels but two HD channels is not good. I have made one recording that I wanted to archive using the Mits. Since most of my recording is time shifting and a little amount archive, It looks like my 169Time / DVHS will get much less use now.

Jeff- It's the MIts that gives me perfect recordings, not the JVC. When I get my 6000/1394 back from Richard this week, I will be able to test the JVC with 169Time's latest hardware/software to see how well it performs. Richard did say that my DTC-100 HDVR works with the JVC40K but he recommends the upgrade to latest version if I want to use one. Unfortunately, his latest hardware no longer works at all with the MIts. Therefore I keep the older version in one receiver for the Mits. :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by claycollier
jrichards:

I am a newbie to all of this, but I noticed if I downloaded AVX1 recordings to the PC it wouldnt play on anything. Are you saying the recorded tapes from the AVX1 will also not play on other D-VHS machines? Will it will only play on my specific JVC or it will not play on other brands of D-VHS players? I can see how that would be a problem for some.

I agree the firewire recordings would make it easier but the IR timer is working without a hitch.

Clay
Recordings made with the 169Time will only playback correctly using the Decoder of the JVC deck. (I think Don said his Mits deck plays good using the old 169Time DTC-100 hardware) All other decoders do not work correctly with these recordings. You will get frame freezes and pix-elating. They won't even play using the Samsung STB as the decoder. Also they will not play properly using hardware PC decoders.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I've had mixed results with the 169time system. I've had trouble with the AVX1 also, I had to replace the memory(I used very good memory) and the CD drive a while back. Yesterday the AVX1 just quit working completely in the middle of recording. I could not turn it on at all. I tried several things and finally I tried unplugging the power source from the motherboard and replugging which fixed it for now. I wonder if there may be a motherboard or PS problem and this will be a recurring problem.

I'm getting mostly perfect recordings now(even with the SVHS tapes) but have had many problems with glitching. I think the new head cleaning tape I got last week probably helped but there are so many variables with this setup I am never sure what causes what. I have changed my setup more that once and problems come and go anytime I try something different. First I was only using the 30K but then I purchased a 40K so I was using both for a while. I think that was causing more glitching and I went back to recording only on the 30K and use the 40K for playback. Both seem to work equally well when used separately.

Even with the problems, I know it sounds like a lot but most were minor because I always seem to get it working again in short order, I love the 169time and would buy it again if I didn't have it. I have rerecorded most of the movies I had problems with and have about 100 very good recordings relatively glitch free.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
EJ- The picture pixelated about as often as my JVC recording off the DTC-100/HDVR. I think two programs at once is better suited for the SD channels but two HD channels is not good. I have made one recording that I wanted to archive using the Mits. :)
I probably am misreading your post. You are not saying that you can currently archive to the MITS from the 921??

By the way, perhaps the best way to archive from the 921 is via the W-VHS machines Alan is offering. Big downsize with just stereo audio however

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
And HD will be filtered for a big loss in resolution. The W-VHS deck is not a viable option, in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
And HD will be filtered for a big loss in resolution. The W-VHS deck is not a viable option, in my humble opinion.
I am lacking in technical know how. Are you saying that the component out of the 921 will be too heavily filtered to benefit from the W-VHS deck capabilities?:confused:

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
No. The W-VHS deck Filters the 1080i or 720p signal in order to fit the data on the tape. Basically, while it will record 1080i, it will be reduced to less than that. Not 480i, but certainly less than 1080i.

The tapes are very very very expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U as well as an RCA DTC-100 w/169time mod to provide IEEE-1394 (Firewire). IT WILL NOT recognize the connection.

I am only trying to record over the air (OTA) transmissions so AVX-1 is not involved. I have tried the start up instructions as posted by 169time to no avail.

Is there any way to find out if the firewire is actually outputting anything. Regular broadcast recording works fine from recorders' tuner or DTC-100 through S-Video or AV connections.

I'm Exhausted, Please Help

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I was told that the AVX1 has to be used to record OTA through the firewire port of my 169time DST3000. I get nothing through the firewire port of the DST3000 directly to my JVC deck with no AVX1 involved. I even have problems trying to record OTA with the AVX1 working. I don't understand the difference. Why can you go straight from the firewire port of the Samsung SIR-T165 to the firewire port on a DVHS deck and record? I would assume what is leaving the firewire port of the Samsung is different that what is leaving the firewire port of the 169time mod.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by claycollier
Since I have read about so many problems with the 169time product on this forum I just wanted to say the system I have is completely problem free.

I did a lot of reading about it before I bought and fully expected to live with less than perfect recordings. Well, I can honestly say I have recorded 4 movies up to this point with my avx1 and watched them all the way through with 0 problems.

I know people usually post in order to solve a problem but if you do the searches for 169time it looks like it doesn't work at all!! Just wanted to be a fresh voice.

Clay
Hi Clay: It really helps if we know your system:

The Toshiba STB or something else? Recording to JVC 30K or 40K? Playback on what? Plasma or RPTV? Using D-VHS tape or S-VHS tape (with or without drilling hole?)

The whole thing (HDVR+AVX1+JVC) is near $2k, way too much.

I'm seriously considering going 169time, just waiting for a sale price, any info will help, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrichards
When did you purchase the DTC-100 firewire card? The new firmware in the firewire cards are not compatable with the Mits decks.
This unit was purchased last week from another indicidual on another forum. Bottom line, I have no idea about age. Frankly, I can't be sure it has 169time mod, but it does have 2 firewire ports in the same location as 169time. Any way to test?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HDTV888:

I am using DTC100/JVC30K/AVX1 for my recordings using JVC D-VHS tapes. I am also using the JVC firewire cables listed on the 169time web site.

I also read a lot about the impact of how far apart the equip is but mine is all stacked right next to each other with no problems.

The only problems i can report have to do with the JVC30K. but these are 30k issues - not 169time issues. Nothing that the right cleaning tape didnt fix. I would go back and watch a movie to find it full of pixelations but only becuase the heads on the vcr were dirty.

Clay

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.