AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 169time modded Dish 6000 reciever up and running a few days ago, and all is perfect. I've had my 169time Bell Expressvu 6000 running for a few months now , and I can honestly say that 169time should NOT sell the Bell version. I must have done about 30 recording with the Dish6000 in just a few days time, and so far they are all perfect. The Bell system however is always plagued with glitches, especially on the networks. These are glitches that aren't there upon live viewing. With my Dish 6000, I'm using the exact same recording hardware (AVX1, JVC30K, PC) and my recordings are perfect. This leads me to the conclusion that the 169time software is not entirely compatible with the Bell HD stream. What else could it be?

Marc.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it is the same. I'm not positive as I don't have a D* unit.

Marc.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am glad to hear that because I just ordered the 169time product based on the Dish 6000.

I had been thinking of switching to D* but decided to stay with Dish so that I won't have to swap all the other equipment.

I was also thinking of getting the Bell version for my summer house in Canada, but since there appear to be incompatibilities I'll stay with Dish there as well.

Do the dish recordings play on all decoders including the Samsung 165?

bb

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Just what sort of glitches are you seeing with Bev? I see alot of momentary glitches while watching the Networks on Bev even live on my 6000.. Nothing too terribly aggrevating, but there none the less. Short freeze-ups every once in a while etc.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those short Bell freeze ups translate to large (+5 second) pauses when recorded, even with the latest 169time software. The software just can't handle errors properly. At least not yet.

Marc.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The difference may be that you don't have the same channels that you were seeing the glitches on with Bell (other than possibly the CBS-HD feed).

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Just what sort of glitches are you seeing with Bev? I see alot of momentary glitches while watching the Networks on Bev even live on my 6000.. Nothing too terribly aggrevating, but there none the less. Short freeze-ups every once in a while etc.
What kind of company is this if they can't provide clean feeds. I do not understand how can this be, when they call themselves leaders in HDTV. This is pathetic. Do all US networks channels have glitches?.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
It's kind of hard to say just how bad it is and to what extent. I dont spend a ton of time watching them compared to other people probably because I get the Network HD OTA too. Unlike some of the users that rely strictly on Bev for that Network programming. But I've noticed the momentary glitches on shall we say..a number of those channels.

Now bear in mind too we're talking about the re-transmission of what are otherwise just local OTA feeds from each of the say 8 Network affiliates in question as opposed to them plucking the National Network feeds off some satellite.

Meaning that for all anyones knows, at least in some cases, it could be a problem with the source and not Bev itself as many local affiliate stations have with their HD channel at times.

The other problem in terms of the subs rising up in anger over the issue is that not only are so many of the subs just happy to have access to the programming at all I suppose, but that prolly more than half of them live in the U.S. and it's not as easy that way to just call them up all the time and *****. ;)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for explanation. Obviously BEV has contracts with those stations. BEV must be getting them on fiber since those stations are not on satellite. They either pick up OTA and then fiber it or they take output from their MPEG encoders. For example E* gets 2 fiber feeds from WCBS. Primary is straight from output of MPEG encoder and backup is from antenna which picks up OTA signal. Anyway Canadian HD subscribers should be bitching all the time about the glitches. I hope they are not happy with not so good service.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those channels are pretty much error free. Try ABC, CBS, and NBC and see what results you get.

Marc.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have two Expressvu 6000's and my signal strength is 95+ on both. I have yet to watch an ABC broadcast that doesn't have at least one glitch per hour. This is watching LIVE, not recording. There was a huge thread going on in the kusat forum about this problem.

Marc.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Yeah, must be a thing related to the 6000 then I guess if the guys with the 5000/mod combos arent having any glitches even in watching it live.

Not sure what it could be but maybe it's somehow related to the way the 6000's have had issues with them rebooting for no apparent reason also. Although that hasnt happened to *me* very often. Then again I dont spend many hours per week watching tv with that receiver, either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.