AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers; Aerial 10t's. I need to upgrade the speakers for a couple of reasons, one being the waf. I'm looking to get the best 2ch stereo speakers out there for 15-17K. I'm currently looking at Revel Studio2s and Dynaudio Saphires (although I don't think they're physically attractive so waf would be a factor), also possibly interested in JM labs 1037be's. I really wanted to get people's opinions as to what else is out there, what's better or comparable to these speakers. I don't want to upgrade these speakers again so I'm looking for something to hold me over for a long time to come.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sonus faber cremona M would be on my list in that price range. Not for everyone but they are very pretty in most opinions and IMO sound fantastic.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Salk HT3's or Vandersteen 5A's.

You're getting rid of the Aerial 10's? Is that an older model? If you like Aerial, how about the 20T's? Although, I don't know what they retail for...

Oh, and the speaker that we might feel is the "end all" speaker may sound like garbage to your ears. You'll have to, of course, go out and audition and let your ears decide.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/14283955

Salk HT3's or Vandersteen 5A's.

You're getting rid of the Aerial 10's? Is that an older model? If you like Aerial, how about the 20T's? Although, I don't know what they retail for...

Oh, and the speaker that we might feel is the "end all" speaker may sound like garbage to your ears. You'll have to, of course, go out and audition and let your ears decide.

I have no personal experience above $8,000/pair but I have heard multiple people say that under $20,000 there is no better sounding speaker than the Vandersteen 5A. You can check them out here http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Model5alit1.html .

I've also heard from people other than Nuance that the Salk HT3's starting at $4,500 a pair (with plenty of customization options that will increase your price) are very hard to beat until you get to the $14,000/pair Vandersteen 5A's. Neither are the prettiest speaker in the world though.

If you're looking for a high WAF for $15,000 you have any number of options, but I haven't shopped for speakers before based on what they looked like unfortunately. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The big problem with Vandersteens, which are probably the best passive speakers I've ever heard, is WAF. You might want to look at Von Schweikert. They're pretty.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/14283749

Sonus faber cremona M would be on my list in that price range. Not for everyone but they are very pretty in most opinions and IMO sound fantastic.

You're right about the Cremona M. They're gorgeous. I just have to audition them I guess. The VanderSteen's I'm sure sound good but they wouldn't work. Even I think they're ugly. I have to take a closer look at Von Schweikert. The 10t's are Aerials old top of the line. The new 20t's cost 35K. Definitely don't want to spend that much. Maybe a used pair of Wilson's W/P 8's. I auditioned the Studio2's and W/P 8's separately. I actually auditioned the W/P 5's I think it was at that time and they sounded much better than my Aerials.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a pair of Vandersteen 5A's in Ebony and truely love the speaker. I don't understand people's comments on the looks since everyone that has seen my speakers has commented on how beautiful they look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/14283749

Absolutely! If "bookshelves" will work he could go with a pair of Guarneri Memento's, too. Either setup in Red Violin, of course.

After that, maybe a pair of Monitor Audio PL300's in Ebony and still have several thousand dollars left over.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs /forum/post/14285368

Aren't Revel Salon2 and B&W 802D $16k?

Salon2s are 22K, I was talking about the Studio2s which are 16K. Slightly different speakers, the Salons use 4-way drivers while the Studio2s use 3.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs /forum/post/14285368

Aren't Revel Salon2 and B&W 802D $16k?

B&W 802D's in my experience selling them will NOT work for the WAF. I never met a woman that enjoyed having R2D2 in her living room. They are $12,000 though not $16k unless the price has gone up in the last few months.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Never upgrade again huh, that's a tall order! The only two that come to mind as ones that might possibly never make we want to upgrade again are MBL 101E's and Sonicweld Pulserod ... but they're 6x your budget

Realistically in that range top of the head suggestions would be

Eggleston Andra II

Magnepan 20.1

SP Technology Continuum 2.5 MkIII

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Why not simply ignore the wife? Why does the way the stereo looks in a room have so much important an impact on peoples purchases. the way room looks matters least anyway, I don't see the osession with good looking decor and such.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/14286283

Why not simply ignore the wife? Why does the way the stereo looks in a room have so much important an impact on peoples purchases. the way room looks matters least anyway, I don't see the osession with good looking decor and such.

Obviously, you are a single man.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14285845

What about RC5 ? I've read comments from two people who prefered it to salk HT3.

Is it possible for you to ever mention a speaker besides Selah Audio?? Do you work for them or something?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
No, but I see no one else ever mentiones them, so I feel the need to say the little I can. What is so bad about those speakers I linked to, that no one has ever mentioned them in any of the millions of threads similar to this one?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/14286319

Obviously, you are a single man.

Yep, and proud of it.

Although I could get a girlfreind WHO HAS HER OWN PLACE and be able to have the biggest ugliest stereo ever

Big silver 70's components that look like Neuclear missile test equipment.

Don't get me started on the speakers, they'd look like they could eat you alive!

I like the looks of the Klipsch La-scala

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/14286283

Does Mom and Dad pretty much let you do what you want in that bedroom of yours?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts