AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of the Sony 1 Megapixel camcorders to use the 16X9 stretch function. I would think that you wouldn't lose any resolution because of the CCD's high output. Thank you for any reply.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a Sony DCR-TRV20. It has an option to film the DV in 16x9 mode, which is the option I use it in. When I play back the DV on my TV, it does something to cause the TV screen to fill (my TV is 4:3). When I play the DV in my theater (the screen there is 16:9), it fills that screen as well.

I really like the unit, and love its ability to take 110 stills to a memory stick, and also do DV. My only complaint is that DV to a 110" screen is hard to make look good. The picture quality is nowhere near DVD, although it is considerably better than VHS. In order to play the DV, I do the following:

1. Run the DV via s-video to a capture card (zoltrix) in my HTPC.

2. Run a program which was developed by some folks here on this forum (dScaler) to deinterlace the DV and display it on the big screen.

I tried the s-video connection directly to the projector (JVC G15), but the picture was fuzzy, and showed awful interlacing artifacts.

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually Bernd,

The TRV20 is the one I'm looking at. Have you compared the 16X9 mode to the 4:3 mode. If you notice, the 16X9 mode cuts the top and bottom of the picture off. I guess my real questions is, because of the TRV20's higher resolution CCD, do you get a full 520 lines of resolution in 16X9 mode, or is the resolution reduced 33%, because of the top and bottom cropping. Have you done a comparison. Thank you for the response.

TV Mitsubishi 55857

DVDO Iscan V2

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you've got $12,000 laying around, here's a camcorder that will give you PQ at least as good as DVD:
http://www.dvwonline.com/products/so...-500wsl-1.html

I believe this is the cheapest camcorder with widescreen CCD's. I hope we get a consumer oriented camcorder with widescreen CCD's soon. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

-Tim

------------------

Remember to e-mail ESPN, Fox Sports Net and The Discovery Channel often, requesting HDTV.

Click here to e-mail ESPN

Click here to e-mail Fox Sports

Click here to e-mail Discovery Channel

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think I heard the other day that Century Optics makes an Anamorphic type screw on lens for small 4/3 camcorders for true 16/9 resolution using 4/3 chip. The lens squeezes 16/9 on the 4/3 ccd then you just unsqueeze it on your 16/9 tv. Century isn't cheap though...but they make great glass.

Also you guys should consider the Sony 3 ccd PD150 or Vx2000. Both offer better picture quality than the trv20...but of course at a price (both are also larger as they are prosumer cameras offering less menus and more buttons).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Would you not see a considerably better image using the firewire output?

Geoff

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welp,

My local retailer has a 14 day no restocking fee return policy on camcorders. So, I bought the TRV20.

I took in a DV tape and did in store taping in 16X9 mode on the JVC GR-DVL9800U, The Canon GL-1, Sony TRV9000, and Sony VX2000. All of the units looked like the pixels were blown up in 16X9 mode. All of these units were very sharp in 4:3 mode, but very grainy in 16X9 mode. I couldn't test the TRv20 and TRV110 on the showroom floor, because the security sensor was mounted over the tape door. So, as stated above, I bought the TRV20. After buying the unit, I immediately inserted my test tape and went over to my 16X9 test area. To my surprise the TRV20 didn't exhibit the loss of resolution that the other camera's did. I'm guessing that this is attributed to the high pixel CCD, sony has more headroom for zooming. So, if this is the case, I can add a $100 wide angle lens, and wamo, instant 16X9 widescreen.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would love to find a way to use the firewire output to view the image. So far, all I have found is a way to use the fireware inteface to get video editing software to talk to the camcorder. I have not yet found a player that would in real time take the video off of the firewire interface and display it on the screen of my HTPC (which is in fact a projector driving a 110 screeen). If anyone knows of any software players that can display DV on the screen of a PC in real time, I would be most interested in hearing about it.

There has been a tread over in the HTPC forum discussing the potential to enhance dScaler for this application. However, it looks like there is a pretty big software development hill to climb.

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bernd-

You might try http://www.vcdhelp.com/ I don't have a direct link to the information that you are looking for, but I'd bet it's there somewhere.

------------------

-------------------

UpStreamDown
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by UpStreamDown (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
772 Posts
BernD,

What about the firewire add-on module for the dtc-100 that will let you record HD streams into your DV camcorder? Maybe it can go the other way and let you display video to your screen through the DTC-100 using firewire???

MMAfia

·
Registered
556 Posts
Upstream,

Thanks for the vcd link. I'll check it out.

MMafia,

Looks like I need to post a query in the HDTV recording forum and see if the 16x9time folks will respond.

Thanks to both of you,

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mm: DV format and MPEG2 (DTV format) are not the same; so I doubt it would work without some sort of conversion.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When I hook my camcorder up to my firewire card in my PC and put it in VCR play mode, I get a tiny window (kind of like the image preview window) that shows me the video that is playing, and also plays the sound. So, something is taking the DV and the audio off of the firewire interface and displaying/playing it in real time on my PC. Therefore, it should be possible to do what is being done right now on a small scale on a larger scale. All that is needed is a player that will scale the DV to the resolution of the Windows desktop (in my case 1360x768).

Cheers,

Bernd

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Sony PC5 camera that does the 16x9 mode. During playback it seems to display all 480 lines of resolution. It causes my XBR400 TV to do the squeeze trick similar to playing a widescreen DVD. I think this is why if you play it back on a 4x3 TV that can't do the squeeze you get full screen. Not sure if it actually records 480 lines or if it only records something like 380 lines and scales up during playback.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Berndt, For once the Mac (my platform of choice since 1985) is ahead of the PC in this area (not much in the HTPC realm for Macs) and the iBook, iMac and G4 Firewire Macs all display DV on screen from the Firewire input (with iMovie or FinalCut) and, with the right videocard do a very respectable job of full screen playback. I have not yet tried to pump that RGB straight to the screen of my Marquee but I guess I should check it out and compare it to the S-video out scaled by my scaler.

I will post my observations when I get around to reorganizing my set-up to make it easier to "converge" the computer and HD system!

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.