AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've not been following A/V for many months, and was wondering what the current AND known/announced future landscape of 16x9 native FPTVs look like.

i'm still getting great service out of my Sony 400, but would like to replace it to:

1. be able to use a progressive DVD (Sony 400 needs 540p, not 480p), and

2. able to hook up PCs and videogames (Sony 400 makes this not easy)

3. but i need to retain the long throw feature of the sony 400

Available NOW in U.S.

================

- Marantz VP12S1 ($$)

- Sanyo PLV60 = Boxlight Cinema 13HD

- Sharp Z9000

- Sony VPL10 & 11

- Runco ($$$)

- Toshiba MT7

Can IMPORT to U.S.

=============

- Panasonic AE100

- Epson TW100 = Yamaha LPX-500

Coming SOON (really!)

================

- Yamaha LPX-500 = Epson TW100

- ???

what else is currently out there, and what is coming?

PS1: anything over about $8,000 would be only of academic interest

PS2: i DID try to slog through the threads, but it is quite difficult to get a total summary of the playing field with weak/generic searchterms like "16x9".

thks!

· Registered
962 Posts
I certainly can't give you much help beyond the obvious choices which are mentioned here often, but one thing you can do to gather some info is visit projectorcentral.com and use their "Find Projectors" link. You can search using various filters, and while can't specify 16:9 ratio you can choose WXGA, which is what most current 16:9 projectors are listed at. Here's the link for that search, which turns up about a dozen projectors.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...es_id=8&trig=1

· Registered
657 Posts
Seleco HT300 and the Runco VX1000 - although they are pricey. Yamaha supposedly has a 16:9 LCD projector coming out soon with a resolution of 1280x720 at a price around $6000. It is based on an Epson projector that is already out. I believe that it has a shorter throw distance.

· Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Meta,

I too used to own the Sony W400 and it is a great little projector in my view. However, the latest crop of 16:9 DLP's ie Sharp, Marantz, Sim2 HT300 and soon the Dwin, are a significant step up from the Sony. Blacks are much better, shadow detail is excellent, (especially for the HT300 which is my new pj!) colour saturation improved and most notably the sharpness and clarity produce a 3D image well beyond what the W400 was ever capable of. Try and get a demo of these new pjs I think you will be impressed. Good luck,

Regards,

Paul H

· Registered
343 Posts
The SONY 10HTs are still available new, or you might pick up a used one for even less. Tweaked they are a great projector.

Steve

· Registered
125 Posts
Hi Meta,

If you're really interested in 16x9, I would suggest you use an anamorphic lens with any 4x3 projector. You could then use a scaler to adjust all incoming signals to proper aspect ratio.

regards,

toon.

· Registered
660 Posts
There's also the Toshiba MT-7. A great HT pj, it has a native res of 1280x720, is very quiet, very small, and has fantastic colors when properly adjusted. Unfortunately, it's a bit more expensive than the Sony or Sanyo.

· Registered
554 Posts
Note that the 10HT/11HT has a much shorter throw than your 400q. However, if you don't need or want to sell your 400q, you can use its lens with a 10HT/11HT. I understand the lens is nearly a perfect fit, and your throw remains identical.

Also, don't trust the throw charts at projectorcentral.com. They've been known to be grossly incorrect on occasion. Always check the manufacturer's web site to get exact throw numbers.

Dave

· Registered
660 Posts
Can't wait to see the 70HT side-by-side with the 11HT...the winner of course being consumers. :)

Optoma is rumored to be bringing out an HD-2 equipped pj in "Q3 - 2000". They've never shipped a pj on time (who does?), so expect sometime later this year, or early next.

· Registered
149 Posts
Dang. My computer went blank after carefullt constructing a reply to this.

It seems to me the leaders in price performance in this field may be the :

1. Hitachi SX-5500 (SXGA larger than 16:9 WXGFA in both dimensions).

$5500.00

2. Toshiba MT-7. Around 4K

3. Sanyo PLV-60HT. Around 4K no DVI.

4. Sharp ZX-9000U. No DVI 7k ?

5. Sony Sony VPL-VW11HT. Is it really better than a modern XGA like my Mitsu X80U I got for 3K ? Still costs easily over 6000.

Jim, do you think the Toshiba rivals the the Sanyo ?

· Registered
1,460 Posts
I can post some feedback re the 10HT. It is a very good projector, tweaked as Steve posted.

You will almost require an HTPC (w/Radeon + PowerStrip) to run the thing at the best it can be.

One of the benefits of having a 16:9 (1.78 AR) native is an anamorphic lens will allow you to use full panel for 2.35 material DVDs.

This is what I do - I scale WinDVDs pic for 2.35 DVDs using YxY to full panel and use the lens (Panamorph) to squish the streached image. There is very little distortion (a -12 keystone and a small amount of "curvature"), if the angle of the lens to the projector is kept square.

The lens does change the throw, but most of this can be compensated using zoom on the projector. Also, the projector needs to be tilted somewhat after the zoom. Another note, you should have the proj at min zoom w/o (Panamorph) lens and max zoom w/lens - the zoom should be 1-1.33 to have the best result.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
If $8k really is a firm upper limit I would suggest three alternatives;

1. Either a Sharp or Marantz DLP sourced directly from Japan

2. See if the new DWIN DLP finally debuts in a month or so with a street price of around $8k as suggested by AVS.

3. OR wait until the new DLP 2 projectors arrive, by CES '03 I'd guess. Either the long rumoured lower priced projectors from the likes of Plus or Optoma will debut at around $5 - $7k and/or there will be numerous used DLP I projectors offered by those trading up to the new models.

Everything else is a significant step down on image quality.

· Registered
660 Posts
Alex:

Thanks for your questions! Yes, the extra res of both the MT-7 and the PLV-60HT gives them an advantage in displaying hi-def sources. The colors, projector size, and silent operation are the Toshiba's strengths. The Sanyo also has good colors, excellent inputs, excellent menu adjustments, and lens shift. I still prefer the smooth image of DLP, but the details are definitely a bit better on these 2 widescreen pj's.

While I find Mr. Powell's (Projector Central) reviews moderately informative, his total lack of scientific testing leaves me a bit put off. And the PLC-XP21N keeps popping up in his reviews, each time sounding like he had just viewed it. The only way that could happen is if he bought or was given one, either way biasing his opinion. Quite frankly, next to "even" the H55, the XP21N had more stairstepping and motion artifacting, and didn't look better in anything except the brightest room light, IMO. The XP21N also can't resolve the newer 525p or "enhanced DVD" resolution. Sorry to all those who keep claiming 480p & 525p are the same thing; they aren't.

Vs. the 5500...the 60HT has the same horizontal resolution and the MT-7 has about 6% less, so on widescreen sources, the 5500 has little or no resolution advantage. Plus, there will be the letterboxing to deal with on the 60HT (minor) or the 5500 (major) with 720p sources at native res. The 5500 also lacks some of the adjustments that HT people will insist on, notably color controls. The only major advantage of the 5500 is the lesser pixel grid of the LCOS technology, though the color aberrations and contrast limitations of the technology will make it harder to enjoy.

Both the MT-7 and the 60HT require serious tweaking to make their best picture. I get the feeling Mr. Powell reviews pj's "out of the box," unless otherwise noted. That's probably the way most presenters use their pj, but it's probably not the way to review pj's for the HT market. Not a knock on Mr. Powell, with some HT pj's being awesome right out of the box (a la H55), this is the way the "new HT" crowd will expect to use pj's. And the lights on capabilities on the XP21N are nothing to sneer at. Nevertheless, I would probably lean towards a more HT-specific review for an HT purchase, especially for anyone on this forum. Most of us here don't mind spending an hour (or 8...24...) tweaking. And, while scientific measurements can't generally allow for personal preference, they do help limit the vagaries of opinion.

Once these 2 projectors are tweaked, either one is very nice. Between the 2, I'd probably go for the MT-7. The native 720-line resolution means you won't have to choose between interpolation or slight letterboxing for 720p images. And the more pj's I get to play with, the more fan noise tends to bother me. If you have a funky mounting situation, or need (want) menu adjustments out the wazoo, then the 60HT would be the one for you.

Of course, INFOCOM might change all of that. Pricing shouldn't be an issue, as the MT-7 and 60HT can both be had in the low $4k range right now.

I agree with Paul H...I prefer DLP to LCD. However, there are no true 16:9 pj's available new for under $8k (with warranty) that I know of.

· Registered
280 Posts
AHHG! My torture continues...this was a great thread for me, because for so long I've been waffling back and forth between the MT7 and the cinema12sf(dual mode DMD considered native 16x9 or neither or both?). Unfortunately, I'll probably have to buy unseen.

I can get either one for roughly the same price (the MT7 considerably cheaper if I buy it used), so you have an idea of what price range I'm looking at.

Here's my anticipated use: 50%satellitefed HDTV, 50%DVD. I'm leaning toward the MT7 since I can use the saved money on a HDTV satellite receiver. However, I hear about so many satisfied 12sf customers, even though I question how well it performs with HDTV vs. the MT7.

So, thats my dilemna. Jim, AJ, or Carl, anyone....any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, one more thing: 98% controlled lighting on to ~12'W/7'H screen.

THANKS!

· Registered
387 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the Epson TW100 yet? I wonder why, on my personal score card (assembled from very very little firsthand data, admittedly) it would rank above a VW11 and probably a Sanyo 60 as well...

But the remark in post number one about being able to import it sounds like it's not out in the US (?), which would of course have an impact on the purchasing decision.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.