AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, dumb question, but I'am clueless. I've been running my LT150 for a few weeks while I put the final touches on the home theater and have been very happy with it. I currently own a 16x9 screen. I also have a few dvd's that are 4:3. The problem that I have is that I can set my projector to "normal" mode, but of course the image bleeds on the top and bottom about a 1 foot. If I put it in Cinema mode it compresses the image to make it fit the screen. Is it possible to correctly display a 4:3 ratio on my screen without bleeding over or having to be squeezed? Like having the image in the middle and black bars on the sides? What do I need to accomplish that? Another question...of course ;) I have a couple of DVD's that WILL not play correctly on my LT150 + RP56 player. Everytime I watch Shrek the image is automatically squeezed. It fits the screen fine, but the image isn't what it should be. At first I thought maybe my DVD player was accidentally switched to 4:3, but it isn't. I have it set to 16:9 and the projector set to cinema. If I set it to normal I get the usual bleeding on the top and bottom. I have the DVD player running directly to the RGB inputs using a breakout connector. I'am stumped! Thanks for any help guys!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The best thing you can do is to run the LT150 with a HTPC with a 16:9 desktop. Then all 4:3 material will be centered inside the 16:9 screen, with black bars on the sides.

If you don´t have a HTPC you can try to do this: In the LT150 meny, click on Image Options/Advance Options/Resolution, and then change to the other option there. Then the LT150 will not scale the picture to fit its resolution so the picture will be smaller because of the smaller resolution on the DVD. This works but you will probably have black bars on all sides, even inside the 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ok, for Shrek, it sounds like you are playing disc one., which is pan and scan 4:3, that's why it looks squished when played through the LT150 in cinema mode. Play disc 2, which has the anamorphic widescreen version. Was I right?

I would get a DVD player that has scaling features, like a Panasonic RP91 or an Apex AD-800. I have the AD-800 and when it encounters a disc that is not in anamorphic form, and it's set to 16:9 output, it automatically boxes it in from the sides. Works perfect! Excellent 3:2 pulldown on this machine, but your RP56 has better video processing, I think.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have the LT85 (little SVGA brother to the LT150) with a 16:9 screen but haven't gotten around to watching a 4:3 movie on it yet (just got the screen about a week ago).

shahram72 sounds on track about Shrek. His advice about the RP91 also seems to be the consensus around here. Another option would be to get a DVDO iScan Plus V2 as this, also, will center a 4:3 image within a 16:9 screen. The option in the LT150 menus that Magnus is referring to is changing the Resolution from Auto to Native, but that is only possible when running through the S-Video input (or through some strange "hack" involving tricking the projector through use of the serial port).

For me, I plan on rolling my projector closer to the screen as I have it floor "mounted" on a rollaround "cart". If I was fix mounting it, I would consider either the RP91 or the iScan. The RP91 theoretically provides better image quality for DVDs, but the iScan will give you the ability to "upgrade" other S-Video sources to RGB (e.g. - DirecTV).

Scott

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are awesome, although I feel pretty dumb about the the Shrek thing...ahah. I've just gotten used to grabbing the disc, popping it in and works....argh...4:3 mess! I'll try that on the LT150 and keep you posted....thanks again!

·
Registered
435 Posts
So upon reading this, It would be better to get a big 4:3 screen if you do not have an HTPC and can't move your proector? Therefore you can watch 4:3 at large size, and 16x9 too?

ScAndal

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a very very few 4:3 discs...like Gone With the Wind, It's a Wonderful Life, etc. I still would of bought a 16:9 as 99% of my stuff is 16:9. Just my thought

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If I'm wrong, some one correct me please but I don't think you can change resolution for progressive component (480p). I think only for composite, svideo, interlaced component, and RGB can you reduce resolution. Just as you can't have aspect control with RGB unless you do serial codes hacking. I'm I mistaken?

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Hi Huey,

I think you might be right.

On my Davis DLS8, I can only do the 16:9 squeeze on s-video and composite sorces.

If I use the vga connection (rgb) from the computer, I have to use the the DVD player software or YXY to do the squeeze for me because the 16:9 option on the pj is no longer available.

Gary.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey
If I'm wrong, some one correct me please but I don't think you can change resolution for progressive component (480p). I think only for composite, svideo, interlaced component, and RGB can you reduce resolution. Just as you can't have aspect control with RGB unless you do serial codes hacking. I'm I mistaken?
Yup...just found out. Oh well, at least my football games will be ok..hah!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Just to make sure that others don't confused about this (as I often do). Sometimes I refer to watching my LT85 via the RGB input. In my case, I'm using an RP56 connected via a component to VGA cable. So, I'm really running it in Progressive/Component mode, not RGB mode. I have control over aspect ratio (Normal, Cinema, etc.).

Regarding using a 16:9 screen. If you can't move your projector but can get a Panasonic RP91 and/or DVDO iScan Plus V2, I'd still go with a 16:9 screen, though others disagree. My take on it is that I want the cinema "experience", most of my watching will be DVDs (which are mostly 1.85 and up), and most non-DVD 4:3 source material is of lower resolution, so it's beneficial, IMO, to display this in a smaller image.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.