AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched this last night (not in blu) and quite enjoyed it. I could easily go out and get the Blu version, though.

Kinda nice to see Zac Efron in something other than the High School Musical movies, though I didn't bother with his Hairspray remake.

This film, as it turns out, is actually Back to the Future in stealth mode, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. We've seen most of its premise before, but here they mixed things up nicely and made it feel fresh. And it looks as though true originality in Hollywood is really rare these days. Or maybe just dead.

Anyway, a few potty words are dropped (PG-13), but 17 Again is still mostly family-friendly. Definitely worth a rent.

4 out of 5 stars

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/17005064

I've just finished watching it and actually enjoyed it . Pq and and Sq on Bd is good.

You liked this one "Frank? i have been hesitating cause I thought it would just be a tween hearthrob and kind of cheesy. Was it funny?

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow /forum/post/17005187

You liked this one "Frank? i have been hesitating cause I thought it would just be a tween hearthrob and kind of cheesy. Was it funny?

I know you asked Franin, but let me just say that I found it very funny, and surprisingly good. Thomas Lennon really steals the show when he's on screen, but the rest of the cast is very good as well. The story is nothing new, but it's told in such a funny and kind of fresh way, with likeable characters, that I'm sure you'll laugh more than once... Don't hesitate.

·
Premium Member
24,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow /forum/post/17005187

Zac Efron played this character really well, its definitely not a teen heart throb movie but I guess the young girls want to see it because of him but they will be in a shock because this movie is completely different. I have to agree with Morpheo that Thomas Lennon stole the show I found him absolutely hilarious. I'm glad I bought this as a blind buy but I suggest to rent first.

·
Premium Member
24,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/17005507

I know you asked Franin, but let me just say that I found it very funny, and surprisingly good. Thomas Lennon really steals the show when he's on screen, but the rest of the cast is very good as well. The story is nothing new, but it's told in such a funny and kind of fresh way, with likeable characters, that I'm sure you'll laugh more than once... Don't hesitate.

I loved Thomas Lennon house and his collection was awesome. I agree Morpheo I laughed more than once.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
I may pick this one up. I rather like Zac Efron. He can sing and dance some and wears well. By the way, I HIGHLY recommend the 2007 version of Hairspray. Efron had only a secondary role and was not much of a factor. The stars of the movie, however, were all terrific, particularly the charming Nikki Blonsky, as Tracy Turnblad and Christopher Walken as her father.

·
Premium Member
24,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17010096

I may pick this one up. I rather like Zac Efron. He can sing and dance some and wears well. By the way, I HIGHLY recommend the 2007 version of Hairspray. Efron had only a secondary role and was not much of a factor. The stars of the movie, however, were all terrific, particularly the charming Nikki Blonsky, as Tracy Turnblad and Christopher Walken as her father.

He is also starring in a film about orson welles.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Because of this thread I got the 17 Again BD from BB today. I ended up with a bit of a love hate reaction to it. Although it was cheesy at times and down right creepy at others, it was filled with good performances and was often laugh out loud funny. I had not seem much of Thomas Lennon, who played the Zac Efron-Matthew Perry character's best friend, but he was funny and likable. The wonderful comic actress, Leslie Mann, as the wife of Our Hero was once again appealing and funny. Melora Hardin (Jan Levinson on The Office) was perfect as the edgy and weird but funny high school principal. Finally, Zac Efron, as usual, turned in a casually charming performance. Although 17 Again falls far short of being deathless art, or even very memorable, it is sweet natured and funny often enough for me to recommend as a rental.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17021961

Although it was cheesy at times and down right creepy at others

Really? I thought it was on the same level as the crush Lea Tompson had for Michael J. Fox in Back The The Future... Not creepy, simply funny, considering the impossible film's premise...

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo /forum/post/17023034

Really? I thought it was on the same level as the crush Lea Tompson had for Michael J. Fox in Back The The Future... Not creepy, simply funny, considering the impossible film's premise...

I agree that Zac Efron's crush on Leslie Mann's character was sometimes funny and sweet. Still, it also made me squirm from time to time. Although 17 Again is certainly not in the same class as Back to the Future or Big, it is an above average age reversal fantasy, which made me laugh out loud several times.

·
Premium Member
24,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/17025672

I agree that Zac Efron's crush on Leslie Mann's character was sometimes funny and sweet. Still, it also made me squirm from time to time. Although 17 Again is certainly not in the same class as Back to the Future or Big, it is an above average age reversal fantasy, which made me laugh out loud several times.

I agree gwsat, It will never be in the same class as Back to the Future, I personally think it will be awhile before anything can match that or if ever. You can never replace Christopher Lloyd or even Michael J fox for that matter.

I have to admit ive never been a big fan of Big, its one movie that I did not like Tom Hanks in.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/17025734

I have to admit ive never been a big fan of Big, its one movie that I did not like Tom Hanks in.

I agree that Big is generally not regarded as a classic by nearly as many people as Back to the Future certainly is. Nevertheless, I thought that Big was a nearly perfect time shifting comedy drama and Tom Hanks gave one of his best comedic performances. His scenes with the then young Elizabeth Perkins were wonderful, sweet and funny. Hanks' scene playing the giant piano with his feet with Robert Loggia as the toy magnate was terrific, too. I don't know what it was about that movie but it has always had the power to move and amuse me. I think it is the best thing that Penny Marshall has done, along with the equally brilliant A League of Their Own, which is in my opinion another underrated masterpiece.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/17006914

I loved Thomas Lennon house and his collection was awesome. I agree Morpheo I laughed more than once.

This. Movie was light hearted fun.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I watched this over the weekend and was quite surprised by both the charm of the movie and the acting ability of Zac. He's not going to win an oscar anytime soon but he is charming. I thought the scene where his daughter goes after him was more squirm inducing than the multiple scenes with Leslie Mann. After all, it is his wife. I didn't think twice about it. A good movie and my wife thought a great movie. His best friend was laugh out loud funny. I was quite surprised.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/17059466

I watched this over the weekend and was quite surprised by both the charm of the movie and the acting ability of Zac. He's not going to win an oscar anytime soon but he is charming. I thought the scene where his daughter goes after him was more squirm inducing than the multiple scenes with Leslie Mann. After all, it is his wife. I didn't think twice about it. A good movie and my wife thought a great movie. His best friend was laugh out loud funny. I was quite surprised.

I think that all that is required to enjoy 17 Again is to go into it with suitably low expectations. It's a routine, time shifting comedy but is nonetheless goodnatured and provides a surprising number of laughs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts