AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, if you were facing this choice for a 46", which one would you go for? I'm pretty tight on money but want good value.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon /forum/post/18169933

Like the title says, if you were facing this choice for a 46", which one would you go for? I'm pretty tight on money but want good value.

I got my 46Z5100 for just over a grand from a Sonystyle retail store, 25 days ago. The online prices do not reflect the actual store prices... and it's the same with Best Buy. Sony's new screens are hitting the stores and the older models are being cleared out. The XBR9 may still demand a stronger price, but the Z is just as good. I've never read anywhere about anyone seeing a difference between these two screens.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clear things out, those price are in Canada and are actually quite good. There is no way I could get a 46Z5100 for under 1500$ here (and this pisses me off because I know I'm getting screwed... sigh)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I'd go down in the line and go with a 52" if it will fit your space. The extra 6" will be immediately noticeable vs the extra features of the higher end sets. If you don't believe me take a 52" S series and sit it next to either of the 46" sets you are considering and stand at your normal viewing distance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18170177

I'd go down in the line and go with a 52" if it will fit your space. The extra 6" will be immediately noticeable vs the extra features of the higher end sets. If you don't believe me take a 52" S series and sit it next to either of the 46" sets you are considering and stand at your normal viewing distance.

I'm at 10', I'm afraid a 52" won't look very good, especially with some underpar HD or SD on an entry-level tv...

·
Banned
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon /forum/post/18170229

I'm at 10', I'm afraid a 52" won't look very good, especially with some underpar HD or SD on an entry-level tv...

I sit at 7.5ft away with a 55", and I still want to go bigger!

At your distance, it's recommended to get 52". You won't regret it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree that 10' on a 52" is not too close...but anyway, back to your original question:

I own a 46W5100 and 52XBR9, I'd say $100 is acceptable to pay extra between Z and XBR9, but really the two are very similar in PQ, other than the XBR9 has the WCG-CCFL backlight instead of a standard CCFL, possibly leading to slightly greater color space/saturation. So is that + the invisible speaker design and the cachet of the XBR badge in the upper right corner worth an extra $100 to you? Normally the price difference in the US is about $300 (but in that case, it's not worth it IMO).

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 /forum/post/18170260

I sit at 7.5ft away with a 55", and I still want to go bigger!

At your distance, it's recommended to get 52". You won't regret it.

A lot more people regret not getting a bigger screen than a set higher up the line. Today's entry level sets are quite good, it's not like the entry level stuff from a few years ago. Today's name brand entry level sets look better than most high end stuff from 2007.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually when I was buying the XBR9 a few weeks a go, it was priced cheaper than the Z model. Now the price for the XBR9 has surged to over $700 than what a paid a few weeks a go.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldobson /forum/post/18198445

Actually when I was buying the XBR9 a few weeks a go, it was priced cheaper than the Z model. Now the price for the XBR9 has surged to over $700 than what a paid a few weeks a go.

Are you in Canada or in the States, and how much did you pay for it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts