AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have recently gotten a emotiva xpa 2, it doesn't 500x 2 @ 4 ohms or 1000 x 1 @ 8 ohms...

Right now I'm using a inuke 3000 that's powering a 18" Dayton 4 ohms sub...

There is a small hum coming from the Inuke, I think they all have that issue? First two have the hum..

I gotten a good deal on the emotiva, that's why I have it now..

I look all around and the only sub that's 8 ohms is the SI HT18(D4)

Any others subs that can be run at 8 ohms?

Also I don't think 500 wrms from the emotiva would be enough for the dayton?

Thanks..

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
Hi I have recently gotten a emotiva xpa 2, it doesn't 500x 2 @ 4 ohms or 1000 x 1 @ 8 ohms...

Right now I'm using a inuke 3000 that's powering a 18" Dayton 4 ohms sub...

There is a small hum coming from the Inuke, I think they all have that issue? First two have the hum..

I gotten a good deal on the emotiva, that's why I have it now..

I look all around and the only sub that's 8 ohms is the SI HT18(D4)

Any others subs that can be run at 8 ohms?

Also I don't think 500 wrms from the emotiva would be enough for the dayton?

Thanks..

If the box is big enough, 200W could be plenty for about any sub. 500W and 1000W is only 3db of a difference if you have enough excursion to use it.

Here's a couple 8 ohm 18's:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/su...eca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Neither of my iNuke amps hum. You might have a ground loop causing it, and if so, you might get that hum with any amp. Try the XPA2 and see if it does anything about the hum before buying more sub drivers.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Are you going unblanced RCA from AVR to XLR by any chance?
I had a hum doing that with XLR adapters(didn't notice at first), so I switched to completely unbalanced, RCA Y cable at AVR(2 subs) to Mono(TS) 1/4" connectors at the 3000.
Hum is gone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going unblanced RCA from AVR to XLR by any chance?
I had a hum doing that with XLR adapters(didn't notice at first), so I switched to completely unbalanced, RCA Y cable at AVR(2 subs) to Mono(TS) 1/4" connectors at the 3000.
Hum is gone.
I'm using a art clean box... I'm moving now, but I'll check with the issue in a week or two..

I tried different power outlets, still had the hum issue, I have a different xlr cable connector, I'll see if issue is still there...

When I have the art box gain set all the way up, it's dead silent, but when I start to go up in the gains on the inuke, that's when you can start to hear the hum...

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Other than that, Cable TV has caused major problems, and I heard it a bit on mine before I changed my setup to all unbalanced.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
How would I float the ground pin?
float the shield on the RCA end to knock down the hum, the monoprice cables attach the shield to the neg on the RCA end. If you have humm, the first step I would take is disconnect the shield from the neg wire on the RCA connector. Its easy to see once you unscrew it. On the XLR end, just wack that off and attach to the amp with the phoenix connectors you already have with the amp.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...crossover-need-advice-pls-3.html#post31251754

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Stop it bruh, some sht ain't even grounded properly, and wiring in walls is incorrect!
You KNOW this.

You think everything is really gone over by the electrical inspectors?

Think again, 1/2 of them could GAS.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
It's possible you are right but the legend of inuke amps and mono price cables and rca to xlr conversion and hum is legendary. Lots of people has that issue.

I know @lemonslush had some issues, and he ran dedicated extra circuits for his amps (and still throws them). But he has (12) 18" ported subs lol...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Stop it bruh, some sht ain't even grounded properly, and wiring in walls is incorrect!
You KNOW this.

You think everything is really gone over by the electrical inspectors?

Think again, 1/2 of them could GAS.
My $hit is grounded properly! The entire house. Every single outlet and connection. Round here the county doesn't mess around at all. Last time I had an inspection he checked every single outlet and even the HVAC and light switches.

Now if Bubba comes to your house and doesn't do it right and you didn't pull a permit, that's different. I do get permits when needed and the inspector and I get along b/c I do stuff right. No ground problems at my last house when I sold it last year.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
My $hit is grounded properly! The entire house. Every single outlet and connection. Round here the county doesn't mess around at all. Last time I had an inspection he checked every single outlet and even the HVAC and light switches.

Now if Bubba comes to your house and doesn't do it right and you didn't pull a permit, that's different. I do get permits when needed and the inspector and I get along b/c I do stuff right. No ground problems at my last house when I sold it last year.
Excellent, Too many inspectors slack off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts