AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is, I discussed a few options on this forum before designing the box itself, and I finally went out and bought the wood and started building it. Here is my progress so far. I have tuned the enclosure to 20 hz, (as it will be used for 60% music and 40% movies), and internal volume is 8 cubic feet after bracing and porting materials. Now I'm waiting on the sub to arrive and trying to figure out what I want to use for feet, and how to finish it. I really want to go with red oak veneer and stain it with some linseed oil, but that's an expensive route to go. I was also contemplating going with black lacquer, but I like the veneer idea more.

What do you think?

Sam

^^Still need to cut and glue the double baffle for the driver...^^

^ Its weighing in at about 150 pounds already, and the driver is another 30 pounds. With that, and the double baffle, it will clock in around 180-190, I figure.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Looks good! I would probably add a little more bracing if it were my project. I'm also not a fan of using MDF for bracing, since it's not as strong as plywood when used in small strips.

What sub driver will you be using?

Which end is up? The port & driver are on opposite ends.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I skimped a bit on the bracing, but since is a test run box, I am not too concerned about it. I am going to use a Pyle 18" since I got it in trade for some work on a stereo install for a customer. If this setup sounds good, I am going to design and build a second box probably at around 12 cubic feet and then go with a fi audio 18" on my second design. I heard from their customer service that I can have one custom built to my specs for around 450-500 bucks, and that seems like a helluva deal.

The top is the ported end. The driver is down firing towards the floor.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
that right angle bend will create turbulence which may or may not cause problems depending on how hard you push it. you are going to lose a little because of the lack of bracing, but overall, it should be a good performer!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, at this point, I will only be running about 400 watts to it, until I can get my hands on a better amp for it. But, in all my experience, an 18" sub will blow your face off even with the smallest amount of power, if its in a well designed box. Even the el cheapo subs from Pyle and Pyramid put out a hefty punch for a single sub setup with only 250 watts...

Has anyone ordered the FI Audio 18" drivers before? I ask because I was wondering what S&H would be on such a large, heavy package.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_carter /forum/post/18312142

Has anyone ordered the FI Audio 18" drivers before? I ask because I was wondering what S&H would be on such a large, heavy package.

For me they were $25/sub for shipping. But I'd think it would be cheaper for you considering you're much closer.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I was expecting it to be more like 50 or 75... so that's good news, in my case. What driver did you order, and what is your impressions of it? I have heard lots of good things from many people, including Steve Meade, and he has used a lot of their gear in the past.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
For your next enclosure, you might consider placing the woofer & vent closer together. Also, with the vent at the top and firing into the room, you'll lose some db to lack of boundry gain from the floor.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you think I should vent the enclosure towards the floor as well then? I prefer the down firing setup myself, since there are less chances of the speaker getting kicked or hit by anything, as well as the mystery it provides. It doesn't give away what kind of sub it is at first glance, at least, not unless you look at the sheer size of the enclosure. That much gives people an idea that whatever it is, its no joke!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_carter /forum/post/18312580

Wow, I was expecting it to be more like 50 or 75... so that's good news, in my case. What driver did you order, and what is your impressions of it? I have heard lots of good things from many people, including Steve Meade, and he has used a lot of their gear in the past.

I used four 18" IB3's in an infinite baffle manifold. They're certainly very well built and they've been fantastic performers. Obviously, the enclosure has a great deal to do with it but it's still better than any commercial sub I've ever heard. I can't comment on it's capability compared to other diy subs because mine is the only one I've ever heard. Not too many other ht/music hobbyists/nuts where I live.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha, I can tell your serious about your bass! The closest thing I have ever personally had to something like that was 2 18" sealed subs in the back of my Bronco a few years back. They weren't FI Audio drivers, but it certainly ruined it for anything on a smaller scale for me. If I ever own my own house, I am definitely going to have to try an IB setup- but unfortunately I have to keep it somewhat portable at the moment. I have heard good things about a horn loaded enclosure, but haven't learned much about them, and was interested in possibly going that route for my next design... Would the FI's be a good driver for such a setup?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hi there,

Ive got two 11 cu ft FI Q18 slot ported subs tuned to 13.5hz and they are awesome. As much bass as you could ever want and no need for a hpf which I am glad about. Yep! I would have put more bracing and also rounded off the inside of the port. I never bothered with the exit of my ports and I don't get any port noise even when playing low frequencies at almost reference.

My subs are powered by the EP4000 running 2 ohms into each driver with 1250 watts rms. I have the BP upgrade on my Q's too.

Looks good though mate. What are the drivers you are using?

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have built this box for a Pyle 18" that I have on the way from a friend. Eventually, however, I am looking into getting a FI Audio driver to replace it in time. I haven't decided which model to get, I know I don't need anything quite in the BTL series lineup, that seems like a bit overkill to me, as well as its a bit outside of my budget at the moment. I am stuck between the Q, BL, or SSD series drivers. So I'm just trying to get an idea from people who have them, so I will know what I want to order when I'm ready to hit the go pedal.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
For Home theatre use get the Q18's. The others are geared more towards music and spl in cars. The Q's have the lowest FS and are great for ported or sealed all be it they like a big enclosure to be at their best.

How much do you have to spend because the 18" mealstrom is the best you can get and you can chuck 2000 watts at it and also put it in a reasonable sized box.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
They are very good value for money defo but only 22mm of excursion. The maelstroms have 32mm. Just a thought but then you could get a pair of Mach 5's for the price of one maelstrom.

2 subs for the price of price. I would have to look at what winisd quotes to see the comparision would be like.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_carter /forum/post/18312913

I have heard good things about a horn loaded enclosure, but haven't learned much about them, and was interested in possibly going that route for my next design... Would the FI's be a good driver for such a setup?

I didn't have much luck with the Fi woofers in any tapped horn design I tried with them, but that's not to say they couldn't work in a more conventional folded horn. If you'd like to learn more about horns, I'd suggest checking out these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1211856
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1212465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne /forum/post/18313702

http://www.mach5audio.com/zen/index....9763f8eea389e3

Is what I ordered, for the money it's hard to beat.

Very hard to beat... I have one. It may be moving out into the car once the tapped horn project goes together, depending on how well that project does in knocking me off the couch when I try War of the Worlds with it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I looked that I could build two subs for the price of one and that was my factor.

My thoughts on the Maelstrom X, yes it has more excursion, yes it can take more power......... but I looked at two 18" woofers at 22mm and 1000w vs one 18" at 32mm at he same wattage as the deciding factor as to which way to go.

I can't wait to see the results when my drivers arrive next monday.

If I had at least double the budget for drivers AND amps, the Mael would have been a no brainer though.

Jeff

p/s the IXL is rated at 800w, I will never use 1000w into it, that is just the amp I will have

·
Registered
166 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts