AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Currently I have a Rhythmik LV12R ported sub and I've been trying to decide which way to go , get a 2nd LV12R or build an 18".

I was looking at the 10-12" options for my 2nd room and after checking the DS4 and Ultimax threads I started thinking that maybe I can just build an 18" and move the LV12R to the 2nd room , the thing is that I don't have space for two 18"s so if I go the 18" route it'll be just one, my other option is to add a 2nd Rhythmik and stick to plan A and build a 10-12" for the 2nd room which is a small 11x10 room.

Which one you guys think will be more powerful with better low end and more punch ,the single sealed 18" or dual ported 12"s??

If go dual I'll have to put them diagonally due to space.

Room size is 17x13' , 8ft ceilings.

TIA.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Output wise it may be a tossup, but you can't smooth room response with only one sub.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Output wise it may be a tossup, but you can't smooth room response with only one sub.
2 ported 12s in good places will do fairly decent around the room. 2 are better than 1 for smoothing out bass! 2 bigger sub are normally better at going lower and louder and that can be fun!
If you think you will only live once then you may want to go bigger and louder ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With everything equal (excursion, power), a pair of 12s is roughly equal to an 18. a ported 12 will have more output potential around tune.

That said, I wouldn't suggest a rhytmik, they're low on power and displacement, and a good 18 like a ds4 will hand two of them their ass.
The thing is that I already have a Rythmik LV12R.

Smoothness is my main goal , since I don't have much room treatments and my room has harwood,windows and concrete walls.

2 ported 12s in good places will do fairly decent around the room. 2 are better than 1 for smoothing out bass! 2 bigger sub are normally better at going lower and louder and that can be fun!
If you think you will only live once then you may want to go bigger and louder ;)
I'd like the idea of going lower but like I said 2 18"s is not possible in my room.

Thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Multiples are nice. There's no way you could perhaps build end table or coffee table subs to squeeze in 2 18's? 2 18's with an inuke is the value monster. People have gotten pretty creative around here hiding big subs in clever places.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Smoothness is my main goal , since I don't have much room treatments and my room has harwood,windows and concrete walls.
You're not going to get smoothness with prison cell acoustics. :(
As for going low, the Rythmic 12 goes lower than a sealed 18.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're not going to get smoothness with prison cell acoustics. :(
As for going low, the Rythmic 12 goes lower than a sealed 18.
I know that my room is not ideal but I'm working on it the best I can , I'ts like a 2nd living room/studio so that's why I can't have two big 18" or lots of treatments , but I'm adding some acoustic panels, rugs ,throws etc.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Work with what you've got (as far as room), it's all most of us can do. I think if size is a primary concern, and you want to even out the response, then a pair of 12s placed correctly (do you have some flexibility in moving them around a little?) should go well.

I don't think you mentioned budget, so let's start at the top. If DIY is an option, you could build with the SI HST12 for $500 and have a 38mm Xmax excursion monster... http://stereointegrity.com/product/hst12-12-subwoofer/. It does well in a small sealed enclosure, but it will take a lot of power. The HST11 is a little cheaper at $370 and can be in an even smaller enclosure.

Going cheaper, I think the Dayton Ultimax 12 is about $180, and is no slouch either, even with just around half of the Xmax of the SI at 19mm. There is even a flat pack enclosure so all you'd have to do is assemble it. I'm not sure how the Dayton would compare to the Rythmik.

In either case you would also need an amp. Just some thoughts. If you don't want to build, and want to keep things in the same family, another LV12R would still help to give you deeper, smoother bass in the room.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info , regarding Budget , what I have in mind is what was going to cost me a single 18", aprox.$700 including an Inuke 3000 DSP , DS418 ,Flatpack from Erich plus connectors , Duratex etc.

Going with another LV12 will be cheaper , but if there's a better option for a couple hundreds more, I'm open .

Work with what you've got (as far as room), it's all most of us can do. I think if size is a primary concern, and you want to even out the response, then a pair of 12s placed correctly (do you have some flexibility in moving them around a little?) should go well.

I don't think you mentioned budget, so let's start at the top. If DIY is an option, you could build with the SI HST12 for $500 and have a 38mm Xmax excursion monster... http://stereointegrity.com/product/hst12-12-subwoofer/. It does well in a small sealed enclosure, but it will take a lot of power. The HST11 is a little cheaper at $370 and can be in an even smaller enclosure.

Going cheaper, I think the Dayton Ultimax 12 is about $180, and is no slouch either, even with just around half of the Xmax of the SI at 19mm. There is even a flat pack enclosure so all you'd have to do is assemble it. I'm not sure how the Dayton would compare to the Rythmik.

In either case you would also need an amp. Just some thoughts. If you don't want to build, and want to keep things in the same family, another LV12R would still help to give you deeper, smoother bass in the room.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Maybe you didn't list this because it isn't an option, but could you fit 2 DIY 15" subs in the room and move the LV12 as previously mentioned?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Keeping things confusing (thanks iconrl! lol) a pair of sealed 15s would also be a great option. UM15s would be able to dish out a lot of performance, and still be in a relatively small box.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7097

Looks like the enclosure is about 19 x 19 x 20. and under $300 for the bundle when it comes back in stock. I'm not sure if you could get away with an iNuke 3000 DSP, or if they'd be better with the 6000. But a good option either way.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe you didn't list this because it isn't an option, but could you fit 2 DIY 15" subs in the room and move the LV12 as previously mentioned?
Keeping things confusing (thanks iconrl! lol) a pair of sealed 15s would also be a great option. UM15s would be able to dish out a lot of performance, and still be in a relatively small box.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7097

Looks like the enclosure is about 19 x 19 x 20. and under $300 for the bundle when it comes back in stock. I'm not sure if you could get away with an iNuke 3000 DSP, or if they'd be better with the 6000. But a good option either way.

Yes that's an option I thought about and I think should work really well , my problem is space for the 2nd sub, hence why I was thinking on a single 18" in the front.

Look at this pic , that's the spot for the 2nd Sub in the rear , the table is already agaisnt the couch so no more space , that's the LV12r there which is 16" Wide, in the front I have more space aprox 22.5", and I don't have other spot to move a 2nd sub in the room , and actually when I did the crawl that was one the best spots., in the pic it looks like it's against the wall but it's actually 8" from the back wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts

My pleasure! :D
Yep, I was comparing that kit against the LV12R @ 16 (W) "x 22" (H) x19" (D) and thought it was close enough to recommend.

If he isn't opposed to building his own box, 16" should be doable. Same volume, just different dimensions. If you wanted ported, you could port out the front and push it all the way in the corner. Sealed wouldn't matter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts