AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask this now, if I dont order the parts now I'll end up doing something stupid with the money like pay bills or something. I dont have my Fusion 8 towers and center done yet but this question has been on my mind for quite a while. It's a theory question and I expect to get chuckled out of the room, but here it goes anyway.

I have read quite a bit and decided that two 18" subs are going to set me up in a way that I will not outgrow them. Originally I was thinking about two sealed 4 cu ft boxes from DIYSG and maybe Dayton Audio UM18-22 18 x2. They will do quite a bit of HT but also a good bit of music. I decided on sealed subs because I really dont care for sloppy boomy bass BUT I think I'm leaving a lot of raw power on the table by not going with ported. So yea, this question is a really weak variant of the sealed vs ported sort. Listening to Metal/Rock/old Cntry/Folk/Classical/Jazz et al.

Can I take the two 18" drivers and do one in a ported and one in a sealed and set them up with an iNuke3000 (which I will probably use anyway). I realize their performance dynamics will be very different but with some EQ is it feasable to sort of go for best of both worlds? Maybe throwing more juice to the ported for HT and more to the sealed for music but use both at all times for more depth? If I'm way off base I'll probably just go with the sealed and use the above mentioned woofer unless there is a better one for bang/buck. I would rather end up with tight solid thumpy bass and less of it then have the boomy obnoxious bass that announces that I have massive subs instead of flowing with the music.

Thoughts?
Woofer suggestions if I'm not about to use a great bang/buck model?

Thanks for humoring what is likely the worst question in the whole sub forum.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I have to ask this now, if I dont order the parts now I'll end up doing something stupid with the money like pay bills or something. I dont have my Fusion 8 towers and center done yet but this question has been on my mind for quite a while. It's a theory question and I expect to get chuckled out of the room, but here it goes anyway.

I have read quite a bit and decided that two 18" subs are going to set me up in a way that I will not outgrow them. Originally I was thinking about two sealed 4 cu ft boxes from DIYSG and maybe Dayton Audio UM18-22 18 x2. They will do quite a bit of HT but also a good bit of music. I decided on sealed subs because I really dont care for sloppy boomy bass BUT I think I'm leaving a lot of raw power on the table by not going with ported. So yea, this question is a really weak variant of the sealed vs ported sort. Listening to Metal/Rock/old Cntry/Folk/Classical/Jazz et al.

Can I take the two 18" drivers and do one in a ported and one in a sealed and set them up with an iNuke3000 (which I will probably use anyway). I realize their performance dynamics will be very different but with some EQ is it feasable to sort of go for best of both worlds? Maybe throwing more juice to the ported for HT and more to the sealed for music but use both at all times for more depth? If I'm way off base I'll probably just go with the sealed and use the above mentioned woofer unless there is a better one for bang/buck. I would rather end up with tight solid thumpy bass and less of it then have the boomy obnoxious bass that announces that I have massive subs instead of flowing with the music.

Thoughts?
Woofer suggestions if I'm not about to use a great bang/buck model?

Thanks for humoring what is likely the worst question in the whole sub forum.
sloppy boomy bass is only a problem in a poorly designed ported cab, any good one will be just as good as sealed SQ wise, that's why so many of us use ported.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
My ported 18's sound just as good if not better than any sealed sub I've heard. A PROPERLY designed ported enclosure sounds every bit as tight and responsive as the same driver in a sealed cabinet.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Took me a long time to decide. I went with sealed. For now. Easier box to build (I didn't use a flatpack) and smaller and easier to manage and move around both during build as well as room placement. I knew I was giving up some low end without eq/amp help and I haven't even tried any eq yet as they're pretty sweet as is but will get around to that soon. I never really considered one of each, although I have had mixed subs before, a dual opposed sealed and two smaller subs using passive radiators (and still do to an extent, I still have the dual opposed sealed sub in the mix at the moment....you know, can't have too much and all that :) ), but I wanted more similar/capable subs to play with.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is a good endorsement for ported and addresses the concern I had about it. So ok, two ported 18" subs it is based on the fast and positive commentary. Looking at the Stonehenge but maybe there is something more suited for my purposes? It looks awesome but I'm unclear about the panels and substructure prices sold separately. I'll have to shoot Erich a question about it.

Even though I'm not done with my Towers I'm super pleased so far with Erich and his kits but of course I have to ask if there is another box out there for a ported 18" that I should consider while examining bang for the buck. I'm sure destroying the foundation of my cabin with gross excess of SPL will not be cheap at all though :D.

I'm still looking at the Dayton Audio UM18-22 but I see the Stereo Integrity woofer looks like quite a bargain. The Daytons are on sale in Ebay right now for $279.90 shipped and appear to be a remarkable value, based on reviews I'm not seeing how I can go wrong. I'll read and research more in between bouts of finishing up my fusions. As usual any suggestions are welcome. I hope to order all the bits to build a couple subs by Friday. I just got done with (12) 18 hour days so a little rest is in order before I jump back in.

This looks interesting to, price cant be beat. Dayton Audio RS1202K 1000 Watt Dual 12" Subwoofer Kit http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs1202k-1000-watt-dual-12-subwoofer-kit--300-766 would be convenient but for not much more the 18" would probably unstoppable.

Thanks folks, as usual you guys rock.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
This is a good endorsement for ported and addresses the concern I had about it. So ok, two ported 18" subs it is based on the fast and positive commentary. Looking at the Stonehenge but maybe there is something more suited for my purposes? It looks awesome but I'm unclear about the panels and substructure prices sold separately. I'll have to shoot Erich a question about it.

Even though I'm not done with my Towers I'm super pleased so far with Erich and his kits but of course I have to a.sk if there is another box out there for a ported 18" that I should consider while examining bang for the buck. I'm sure destroying the foundation of my cabin with gross excess of SPL will not be cheap at all though :D.

I'm still looking at the Dayton Audio UM18-22 but I see the Stereo Integrity woofer looks like quite a bargain. The Daytons are on sale in Ebay right now for $279.90 shipped and appear to be a remarkable value, based on reviews I'm not seeing how I can go wrong. I'll read and research more in between bouts of finishing up my fusions. As usual any suggestions are welcome. I hope to order all the bits to build a couple subs by Friday. I just got done with (12) 18 hour days so a little rest is in order before I jump back in.

Thanks folks, as usual you guys rock.
The Stonehenge is packaged and priced the way it is so it could still be safely shipped. I don't know of any more flat pack kits for vented enclosures, If you've got the means.. a "Marty" design would be awesome.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
That 279.90 free shipping price is an all day/every day thing at Parts-Express, and it would be considering it's their driver, and they are the seller on Ebay.
That Driver is a D2
The HT18 D2 is a pretty capable driver, for $105.90 less... over 1/2 the way to a 2nd one!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I noticed they were the Ebay seller, I thought I had seen them costing a bit more at some point and read some great things. I'm on board with saving $210 on the pair if they are somewhat comparable. It looks like more money will go into the boxes and shipping then into the speakers themselves but it's quite ok. From the searching I'm doing the Stonehenge seems to be a great value, I cant come up with much information on a Marty but I think it would push me over budget. I would like to keep them under ~$1000 but I'll go a little more if there are decent gains to be made without doubling the budget.

I dont want to cheap out on the driver since I'm looking for SQ. If there would be a noticeable difference I might opt to spend a little more but I'm cheap so always looking for that sweet deal. I'm not looking to spend $400+ but I'm ok with up to... say... $300 each or so for drivers, happy to spend a bit less if the point of diminishing returns is closer to the HT D2. I wont be running huge power to justify the higher cost units, I plan to run an iNuke3000 to power both units. Tilt going to SQ over SPL but with twin 18s I'm guessing output wont be a huge problem in any direction I end up going.

I guess I should decide on VC ohms most suitable for an iNuke3000,

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I noticed they were the Ebay seller, I thought I had seen them costing a bit more at some point and read some great things. I'm on board with saving $210 on the pair if they are somewhat comparable. It looks like more money will go into the boxes and shipping then into the speakers themselves but it's quite ok. From the searching I'm doing the Stonehenge seems to be a great value, I cant come up with much information on a Marty but I think it would push me over budget. I would like to keep them under ~$1000 but I'll go a little more if there are decent gains to be made without doubling the budget.

I dont want to cheap out on the driver since I'm looking for SQ. If there would be a noticeable difference I might opt to spend a little more but I'm cheap so always looking for that sweet deal. I'm not looking to spend $400+ but I'm ok with up to... say... $300 each or so for drivers, happy to spend a bit less if the point of diminishing returns is closer to the HT D2. I wont be running huge power to justify the higher cost units, I plan to run an iNuke3000 to power both units. Tilt going to SQ over SPL but with twin 18s I'm guessing output wont be a huge problem in any direction I end up going.
the SI HT18 is a beast,
the Dayton UM 18 is about 1.25x the ability of the SI HIT 18 (estimated).... it depends on how much space you have. actually two marty's would be cheaper than two stone henges if you build them yourself... I think I spent $200 a cab for my martys including all blues, additions etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the SI HT18 is a beast,
the Dayton UM 18 is about 1.25x the ability of the SI HIT 18 (estimated).... it depends on how much space you have. actually two marty's would be cheaper than two stone henges if you build them yourself... I think I spent $200 a cab for my martys including all blues, additions etc.
If I tried to build them myself it would be a disaster. I got my hands on the DIYSG kit for the Fusion 8 Towers and center and its going well but building myself would be a mistake I believe. It's probably best I go for a kit for reasonable assurance that the results will be money well spent.

If the SI18 is a "beast" and still lands under 200 each, it sounds great. Not sure it would really be worth an extra 100/ea for a little boost in performance unless it comes with a boost in SQ as well, then maybe. I really do like the price of the SI though. Does anything else come to mind that would be a notable improvement in the 250-300 range? I was not able to find any Marty kits, I think I could go with either but would lean towards whichever design would allow for better SQ/tighter bass, space is not a huge concern.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
the marty's you have to build out of plywood, are cheaper, and can play lower by being bigger. The Stonehenge you have to buy, is smaller, costs more, and is easier to assemble.

I would think 2x Stonehenge, 2x ultimax 18's, and 1x inuke 6000dsp would leave your jaw on the floor. 2x full martys, even more so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Ultimax 18 is best in either a sealed or a much larger vented box than Stonehenge, the RSS460HO-4 is more suited to it. I've just bought two 460HO's, plus left and right Stonehenge flatpacks. Just waiting on them shipping from Erich now.

The SI HT 18 is equally suited to Stonehenge but from reading these forums, delivery time of the dual 4-ohm coil version has gone out to late May. Before reading that, I did send an e-mail to [email protected] but never received a reply, so figured if that was representative of their customer service, then I'll order the Dayton's instead.

These will (hopefully) be replacing an SVS PB13 Ultra. I think it will be close, the PC13-Ultra is very capable indeed, the 13 inch driver weighs around 55lbs and puts out a lot of deep bass. The dual, more agile 18's should be better in the midbass though, and having two should help smooth out a 90-ish Hz null that I have at the main listening position.

Reactions: LTD02

·
Registered
5,880 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"I did send an e-mail to [email protected] but never received a reply, so figured if that was representative of their customer service, then I'll order the Dayton's instead"

I can understand waiting to get one if demand is high but I don't accept poor cust svc. If they cant be bothered to answer an email before they have your money than what can you expect after. No matter how good the deal that is a deal breaker for me. From what I see Partsexpress is known to deliver good service and parts, its worth the extra $ just in hassle avoidance.

I couple Martycubes sound like a feasible option. It also looks like the Dayton speakers are about the best drivers in my price range. Is the iNuke3000 really not enough power? I can do the 6000 if its really going to make a difference, its not that much more $. This is great, I got my question answered and I didn't get publicly heckled. As a bonus I have some great driver and amp ideas. Thanks for the link to the Marty thread also, I'm sorry hes not doing it anymore but the wisdom is there.

I see a lot of different schools of thought on ohm load and VC, it looks like dual VC at 2ohm in series for a 4ohm load may work best with the setup I'm looking at.

Thanks folks, I have some direction now. Time to go see if I can make some headway on my towers while I wait back on word if the CNC machine at my folks door company is accessible to cut the cubes.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
...I did send an e-mail to [email protected] but never received a reply, so figured if that was representative of their customer service...
"I did send an e-mail to [email protected] but never received a reply, so figured if that was representative of their customer service, then I'll order the Dayton's instead"

I can understand waiting to get one if demand is high but I don't accept poor cust svc. If they cant be bothered to answer an email before they have your money than what can you expect after. No matter how good the deal that is a deal breaker for me...

In Stereo Integrity's defense, they are a very small company without the resources for a fully staffed Customer Service Department.

I'm sure they could hire a company in India to take your calls and emails, but then they'd probably have to raise their prices to Parts Express level to pay for that. I like customer service, but I prefer low pricing, and people who understand what I'm talking about when they finally do answer.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
If I was to order an amp again, it would probably be the iNuke NU4-6000DSP, as it can also do 2ohm loads.
I don't care about 8 ohm loads, so I'd prefer the NU4 6KDSP over the NU 6KDSP
I have a 3KDSP, and wish I spent the $70 more on the NU46KDSP

Edit: Stupid me, I typed in NU4-6000dsp, and went to sweetwater....didn't notice it didn't have a "DSP" next to it, no such thing as a NU4-6KDSP, although there should be!
The NU4 6K would require a MiniDSP or something like that for setting High Pass, so I guess another 3KDSP won't aggravate me as much as it was! :cool:

Sorry for the mistake.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If I was to order an amp again, it would probably be the iNuke NU4-6000DSP, as it can also do 2ohm loads.
I don't care about 8 ohm loads, so I'd prefer the NU4 6KDSP over the NU 6KDSP
I have a 3KDSP, and wish I spent the $70 more on the NU46KDSP
Is there an NU4-6000DSP? There is an NU6000DSP and an NU4-6000 but I don't see a DSP version of the 4 channel NU4-6000 on Behringer's site.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Is there an NU4-6000DSP? There is an NU6000DSP and an NU4-6000 but I don't see a DSP version of the 4 channel NU4-6000 on Behringer's site.
You are correct, I made a mistake. :eek:
The NU4 is not a DSP, so it would require a MiniDsp or something similar.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
SI and Sundown do offer wonderful CS, but the owner of Sundown is out of the country for a few more days. Jacob (Sundown) does the HT18 drivers so response time may be slow. PE is good too and I like both, but the SI HT is a steal.

Your opinion may differ ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts